DVDVR Message Board

Stuff. Not good. Not bad. Just...stuff.

Cristobal

3 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

The skeeziest-looking ice cream truck I've ever seen just drove by playing Christmas music. WTF just happened?

If I were you I would run far, far away as fast as you can.

On the money topic, I never really had anyone ask me what I made, nor did I ask them.  I barely shared it in wrestling, either - it's nobody's business but between the employer and employee.

Like Scott Hall said - I don't want the most money, I just want a lot.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:08 PM, Cristobal said:

The skeeziest-looking ice cream truck I've ever seen just drove by playing Christmas music. WTF just happened?

This happens a good bit in Baltimore City.  The ice cream trucks are generally not that skeey-looking, but you get that odd one that fits your description.  It's very odd hearing it in the summer months.

On 6/16/2017 at 10:09 PM, Cristobal said:

Got a new tattoo today. Chest tattoos are definitely ouchier than arm and shoulder tattoos.

Scott Steiner and Brock Lesnar approve!  Pain-wise, the worst tattoo pain I've ever had was on my inner arm below the armpit.  Never again.

I'm getting some work done in August/September and I'm beyond excited about it.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 7:09 PM, Cristobal said:

Got a new tattoo today. Chest tattoos are definitely ouchier than arm and shoulder tattoos.

Agreed. The most painful tattoo I've gotten (I have 7) was on my left pec. Only time I had to be talked through the pain.

In other news, I've made it onto an Everything is Terrible video (I'm at 11-13 seconds. It's from a Rocky Horror documentary I was on in 2000)

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Agreed. The most painful tattoo I've gotten (I have 7) was on my left pec. Only time I had to be talked through the pain.

When he was working over the rib, it felt like my entire rib cage was getting jack-hammered.

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Most painful for me was the crook of the elbow... which my ex-girlfriend decided to tattoo in the darkest sleeve filler she could as some form of cathartic revenge. 

I cannot imagine a scenario in which I'd let one of my exes within 10 feet of with a tattoo gun.  You're a braver man than I.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the normal "job searching" dilemma of trying to figure out how to escape my current job long enough for an interview without being suspicious. I got called Friday and they want to interview me on Monday, its a better job so its not something I will say no to. But that means it is too late to use the 'doctor appointment' excuse as they'd want to know why I waited so long to tell them. I could sneak off but then I risk my boss noticing. Or I could just call in sick all day which would be particularly dishonest but probably raise the least issues.

I know I could just tell them why but uh I think in general that's a bad idea to admit. I have another day to figure it out.

Everybody should get a tattoo, at least once.

On an unrelated topic, my boss tends to use the incorrect words for things.  I'm not sure if he just has brainfarts, or if he's just a dumb guy trying to look smart -- he only went as far as high school but I never hold that against anybody and don't assume anyone is unintelligent just because of it.  Anyway, enough disclaimers.  Today, in a meeting where we were discussing information we needed to get from a company, he said we needed to be specific and send a very "poignant" email.  Unless he meant that our email had to be sad and heartfelt, I think he meant to say "pointed."  Holee shit.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:39 AM, The Natural said:

Always liked tattoos but never had any yet.

There was a thing on Corey Graves' other WWEN show "Inked" where he mentions how it's a running joke how peoples' first tattoo has to be super-meaningful and this profound statement on their life and their identity and once they get past that hurdle then they can just get shit they think looks cool. This was totally true for me. 1st tattoo was something very personal, referencing life struggles and how I came out of them. 2nd tattoo I just got the Enterprise D with a bunch of space shit around it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

On an unrelated topic, my boss tends to use the incorrect words for things.  I'm not sure if he just has brainfarts, or if he's just a dumb guy trying to look smart -- he only went as far as high school but I never hold that against anybody and don't assume anyone is unintelligent just because of it.  Anyway, enough disclaimers.  Today, in a meeting where we were discussing information we needed to get from a company, he said we needed to be specific and send a very "poignant" email.  Unless he meant that our email had to be sad and heartfelt, I think he meant to say "pointed."  Holee shit.

Back when I thought that there was an element of cool in defacing yourself I was always too broke to get a tat, Then, when I could easily afford one there was usually something more important to spend my money on. That, and it had become entirely too mainstream to hold any meaning for me.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Technico Support said:

TBH I feel more unique by having absolutely no ink on my body.

If someone asks me to express myself. I'll just tell them how I feel.... probably in painful detail.

They don't need to look on my arm and muse the meaning of the twist of sigils on my bicep.

• Like 1

I've wanted a tattoo for awhile now, but I'm not sure what's held me back more; the cost or the pain. This is the cheap ass in me, but I can't believe how much tattoos cost. I fully understand that you're paying for what is basically permanent artwork on your body and you pay for what you get applies more to tattoos than most things. Given my other hobbies like video games, and woodworking more recently, I can exactly fit in money for tattoos.

The pain is a concern as well. Constant pain or pressure or things of that nature either hurt or make me sick to my stomach for some dumb reason. Like, the last time I let my doctor clean my ears out with the water pik I nearly threw up just from the constant pulsing of water in my ear.

That said, I'm getting a tattoo. Soon too. My wife and I (yeah, I got married again) are both going to get one. Being an artist I'd like to design our own artwork, but I also would like a tattoo artist to do something they're familiar with. Or will artists be able to just do whatever they're handed? I honestly have no idea how it works. Anyway, I'd like to keep whatever work is done to one arm and nothing below my elbow for work purposes. Over time, I'd like to add in ivy and other stuff that's important to me.

22 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That said, I'm getting a tattoo. Soon too. My wife and I (yeah, I got married again) are both going to get one. Being an artist I'd like to design our own artwork, but I also would like a tattoo artist to do something they're familiar with. Or will artists be able to just do whatever they're handed? I honestly have no idea how it works. Anyway, I'd like to keep whatever work is done to one arm and nothing below my elbow for work purposes. Over time, I'd like to add in ivy and other stuff that's important to me.

Artists may or may not be able to do whatever they're handed; depends on their skill level.  Look up shops near you.  A good shop should at least have their artists and portfolios online.  Find an artist whose style you like and set up a consultation.  Show him what you want to get done and get his feedback.  You should be able to get a feel for whether he can do it or not and what his approach will be.

Now on the "just hand a guy some source material and ask him to put it on you" front, this may just be my preference, but I feel like a good artist will collaborate with you and throw ideas out, not just ink whatever you give him.  Some of the coolest aspects of tattoos I have came from a guy saying, "hey, I was thinking we could..."  At the same time, if a guy throws an idea out there that you don't like, just tell him that you'd rather not.  A good artist won't be a baby about it ;)  

Finally, on price, there's the adage, "a good tattoo is not cheap and a cheap tattoo is not good."  The artist should be able to tell you what their hourly rate is.  I can't tell you what's high or low in your area but if it sounds like a bargain, go someplace else.  I am absolutely happy with my last tattoo and it was $175/hour.  I'm in suburan (or exurban?) DC.  And don't forget to tip your tattoo guy.  Around 20% is great.  It sounds high but remember that unless he owns the shop, probably half of what he charges goes to the shop owner.  He gets the other half but has to pay for all his own supplies, so it's not like he's getting rich on this shit.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:55 PM, Cristobal said:

There was a thing on Corey Graves' other WWEN show "Inked" where he mentions how it's a running joke how peoples' first tattoo has to be super-meaningful and this profound statement on their life and their identity and once they get past that hurdle then they can just get shit they think looks cool. This was totally true for me. 1st tattoo was something very personal, referencing life struggles and how I came out of them. 2nd tattoo I just got the Enterprise D with a bunch of space shit around it.

LOOOL

My first wasn't meaningful at all.  It was shitty $60 flash that I got just to be getting a tattoo.  It's covered up under a larger piece now.  The Enterprise tattoo sounds awesome.  People get really hung up on "oh man it has to be super meaningful" and if they can just get past that, they're in for a fun lifetime of getting goofy shit tattooed on them.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I've wanted a tattoo for awhile now, but I'm not sure what's held me back more; the cost or the pain. This is the cheap ass in me, but I can't believe how much tattoos cost. I fully understand that you're paying for what is basically permanent artwork on your body and you pay for what you get applies more to tattoos than most things. Given my other hobbies like video games, and woodworking more recently, I can exactly fit in money for tattoos.

The pain is a concern as well. Constant pain or pressure or things of that nature either hurt or make me sick to my stomach for some dumb reason. Like, the last time I let my doctor clean my ears out with the water pik I nearly threw up just from the constant pulsing of water in my ear.

Some additional comments added on to what Technico said: Unless you have something super-specific in mind, find someone who does their own designs. I've known some artists that were super-talented at shading and color but had no ability to improvise whatsoever. Like Technico said, they should be able to work with you and collaborate. On my last one, I had some smallish lettering where the artist was able to steer me towards a font and size that would hold up better once it faded a bit.

In terms of pain, having one your first on your upper arm is a good idea. It's a relatively low pain area, is relatively comfortable for you (you can sit upright rather than lying on a table) and your other arm can have a book or your phone or whatever to distract you.

Costwise, I'm in a small city/college town of about 90K surrounded by rural areas, so it's less than Technico's. A good artist in my area is ~$100/hr.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

My first wasn't meaningful at all.  It was shitty $60 flash that I got just to be getting a tattoo.  It's covered up under a larger piece now.  The Enterprise tattoo sounds awesome.  People get really hung up on "oh man it has to be super meaningful" and if they can just get past that, they're in for a fun lifetime of getting goofy shit tattooed on them.

My fear was always "what happens if I get something and then 30 years from now I no longer give a shit about that thing". Ironically, I still care about stuff being meaningful, I just think being in my late 30s I have more confidence in who I am and what matters to me and what'll still have meaning x decades down the road.

Apologies to the artist for my shitty selfie, but here's the tattoo:

gWijpCU.png

• Like 6

On 2017-07-11 at 9:47 PM, OSJ said:

Back when I thought that there was an element of cool in defacing yourself I was always too broke to get a tat, Then, when I could easily afford one there was usually something more important to spend my money on. That, and it had become entirely too mainstream to hold any meaning for me.

Every time I put money aside for another tattoo these days, my kids need new clothes or braces or something. I laugh when homeless dudes are covered in tattoos (and good ones, not shitty homemade and/or prison tats), and asking me for money. Priorities, fella.

• Like 1