DVDVR Message Board

Andre is going to make The Leap and be the best player in the NBA next season.

Fuck, I'm going to go up to the bridge here, and try to fly.  #GoodbyeCruelWorld

This is interesting...

The greatest irony of all: Cleveland holds Miami's first round pick in 2015, sent to Cleveland for LEBRON JAMES in 2010.

Maybe Miami offers to do a sign-and-trade w/ Lebron getting his 5th year so they could get that pick back.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy. I think it's hard for people who aren't from NE Ohio to understand the provincial and cultural pull that it has over you your whole life. When you are successful, you are lauded, but you know at some point you have to leave and go to New York or Chicago or DC or another city that people will respect your accomplishments in. It's part of your blood when you are from Ohio. You know from a young age that people will think you less of a success if you stay your whole life. I was sad, as a fan of the Cavs when he left, but I understood and I empathized because I had done the exact same thing a year or two prior. That being said, no matter what I did in New York and Chicago and now Philadelphia, there will always be a part of me that wants to go back, and be comfortable, and have people understand my life in a way that I haven't ever felt elsewhere. Cleveland has its warts, but it's still a part of who you are.

I feel like Lebron has in one small way led a very similar life to me, and I think a lot of others could say the same thing. I think that's why he's going back.  

This makes total sense to me. This is true in all of the cities in NE Ohio or Buffalo or Detroit. They're industrial cities in a post-industrial America. Other places -- Pittsburgh, Philly -- managed to find a way to adjust to the new economy (as well as they can -- the ex-manufacturing hubs in Philly are now arguably the biggest open air drug markets in the country). But finding a way to provide jobs attractive for young people to stay - not just jobs, but stuff that you can feel proud about and afford a good lifestyle - is so hard to consistently find.

LBJ talking about Miami being his college experience makes total sense. He grew up in a fishbowl and legitimately could not have that educational experience a lot of people (myself included) take for granted. He went away, figured things out, and now sees he can help with a bigger picture.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy. I think it's hard for people who aren't from NE Ohio to understand the provincial and cultural pull that it has over you your whole life. When you are successful, you are lauded, but you know at some point you have to leave and go to New York or Chicago or DC or another city that people will respect your accomplishments in. It's part of your blood when you are from Ohio. You know from a young age that people will think you less of a success if you stay your whole life. I was sad, as a fan of the Cavs when he left, but I understood and I empathized because I had done the exact same thing a year or two prior. That being said, no matter what I did in New York and Chicago and now Philadelphia, there will always be a part of me that wants to go back, and be comfortable, and have people understand my life in a way that I haven't ever felt elsewhere. Cleveland has its warts, but it's still a part of who you are.

I feel like Lebron has in one small way led a very similar life to me, and I think a lot of others could say the same thing. I think that's why he's going back.  

God damn, you are right on here.  I was born and raised in Northeastern Ohio from a family that is rooted in Northeastern Ohio.  As a kid I could run from one grandparent's house to the other and wouldn't really be out of breath when I got there.  Almost all of my friends and family that has found any success no longer lives in Ohio.  Almost all of my friends and family who have been arrested still live in and around the neighborhood I grew up in.  I don't think I'm talking out of turn when I say that if any of my friends and family could have been just as successful in Ohio, we would have never left.  It is a place that has some sort of magnetic pull on all of us.  Every time I go back my allergies kill me, I hear about someone else who fell on hard times, and I leave sick, tired, and depressed.  With that said, one of the saddest times in my life was the Christmas I couldn't make it back to Ohio.  I'm 33 years old and that is the only Christmas I didn't spend in Ohio and it just felt wrong.  I've lived in Virginia for longer than I lived in Ohio now, and it still doesn't feel like home.  Everything about my life has been better since I left, but part of me still wants to go back.

• Like 2

Oh, Diddy and Skylar Grey are going to get overplayed this weekend.

I know my kingdom awaits

And they've forgiven my mistakes

I'm coming home

I'm coming home

Tell the world that I'm coming home

Gawd, hadn't even thought about that. Damn, how I hate that song. Time to avoid the TV for the next forever.

And good lord people, I'm a mod, not an admin.  I don't wield the scimitar of justice. Relax.

Just let me know who you want gone. I'll give you a freebie, no questions asked. Even if it's jae if the Bulls get Carmelo!!!!

• Like 1

This is interesting...

The greatest irony of all: Cleveland holds Miami's first round pick in 2015, sent to Cleveland for LEBRON JAMES in 2010.

Maybe Miami offers to do a sign-and-trade w/ Lebron getting his 5th year so they could get that pick back.

Under the new CBA, a sign-and-trade contract can't be longer than four years.

Guess they should have lottery protected the pick.

Miami's pick is top ten protected for 2015 and 2016 and unprotected in 2017.

Not to turn this day south, but I don't understand that Cavs meme. Cleveland fans didn't have a right to be upset, considering how it was done, and now they don't have a right to be happy because they were pissed at someone four years ago? It's like saying you can't be friends with an ex because you said mean things to each other when you broke up.