DVDVR Message Board

SON OF A~!

jaedmc

Dewar - just wait until you lay eyes on the guy. Because he'll look exactly like you.

My peeps have told me he's a short man of Trinidadian decent. Not exactly a six foot four white guy. :)

He has the same name as her last boyfriend. At least I can tell myself I lost out because she didn't want to learn a new name to introduce her boyfriend as. :lol:

Dewar - just wait until you lay eyes on the guy. Because he'll look exactly like you.

My peeps have told me he's a short man of Trinidadian decent. Not exactly a six foot four white guy. :)

He has the same name as her last boyfriend. At least I can tell myself I lost out because she didn't want to learn a new name to introduce her boyfriend as. :lol:

When I saw your first post, I was thinking maybe she just needed some reboundage but maybe she just needs to yell at someone with the same name to obtain closure without actually talking to her ex? Leaving a random dude super confused because she's saying his name but referencing things that he doesn't remember doing.

Had to buy new tires for the car.  I knew it was coming, but spending just over $350 still isn't fun.

I'm still having to deal with the charcoal filter issue.  The place I usually take my car isn't making much of an attempt to find a canister. Yet I was able to find one on Ebay for about $250 in 5 minutes.  I may buy the part myself and get someone else to fix it for me.  But I may need to take the car to the new shop first to make sure that's actually the problem.  I'm pretty sure myself that the car does need a new canister, but it wouldn't hurt to have someone else give an opinion.

Was a night owl for a LONG time and then worked at a radio station which meant overnight shifts.  It started with one overnight shift and then moved to four per week at one point before switching back to semi-regular hours.  I still have trouble getting to bed at a decent hour even though my alarm is set for 6:30 AM for work days; haven't worked at the station in five years.

So I got canned from Sprint a couple months ago due to declining sales numbers because Sprint is a terrible company with a horrible product, laughable pricing considering the quality of their network and a bunch of stupid people jockeying for position so they don't get bagged when Softbank - their Japanese overlords - inevitably slashes the workforce in half. But that's not the reason for the post. I took a gig at a fancy e cigarette shop as basically something to do, because I was bored as hell and just wanted a no stress gig while I figure out my next move. However, being that I did 4 years at Sprint I'm super duper good at retail and there's already a lot of talk about running a store. Which I don't think I want, but because More Money I feel like its The Move even though I really wanna do some self improvement before I take a heavy duty Real Job. I just don't know how to finesse this situation.

I moved up to Central Florida like 5 months ago and have been struggling to get a decent paying full time job. I was able to work 2 short term projects that paid me alright, but that was it. Aside from that I haven't been able to get anything else.

Most recently I've filled applications everywhere I can think.

I got 2 interviews set up not to long ago, passed the assessments and pre-employment stuff and they both feel through which was a huge blow.

First I got to the interview to one of them and I thought everything went well and next thing you know, I got an email the next day telling me I didn't get hired.

At the other one, everything was flowing smoothly, they even loved my interview, I passed the drug test and then the paperwork feel through and that didn't plan out for me either.

So yeah, I've really been struggling for the past 5 months and have no idea on what else to do.

Ok, done ranting, sorry for that.

Could be worse, the cashier might have said, "Would you like a bag, or will you drink it on the way to your car?"

BTW: If the bartender starts making your drink before you've cleared the front door, this is not a good sign.

The people who come into my shop every day and buy a half bottle* of Whisky or Vodka, they always try to make friendly conversation. I think this might be because I (or whoever's on shift on my days off) am their only friend in the world**.

* It would be cheaper to buy a full bottle. But when I suggested that, the response was "Oh no, a full bottle would kill me."

** I'm not their friend. I'm being friendly because that's part of my job. I don't actually like them at all.

Man, any time a cashier starts recognizing me I make a point to go to a different store.

There are advantages to familiarity.

There's an El Pollo Loco across the street from work that I go to may too much where they know me by name and give me the 10% senior discount.

The people who come into my shop every day and buy a half bottle* of Whisky or Vodka, they always try to make friendly conversation. I think this might be because I (or whoever's on shift on my days off) am their only friend in the world**.

* It would be cheaper to buy a full bottle. But when I suggested that, the response was "Oh no, a full bottle would kill me."

** I'm not their friend. I'm being friendly because that's part of my job. I don't actually like them at all.

* Sounds like they're self-aware enough to at least feel some shame in drinking so much publicly.

** While being their friend probably isn't expected, neither is having someone pass judgment on them. They're just looking for a nice voice in the abyss. 

Man, any time a cashier starts recognizing me I make a point to go to a different store.

There are advantages to familiarity.

There's an El Pollo Loco across the street from work that I go to may too much where they know me by name and give me the 10% senior discount.

There's a gas station I go to several times a week for work (company truck).  They're all super friendly and I haven't paid for a fountain drink in months.

Two minor things:

1) I'm in the process of disinvesting in the woman I'd been seeing (somewhere between casual and serious), but she's making it difficult by being so damned flighty (and busy) that it's impossible to have a conversation with her. She's sweet, reasonably intelligent, and a goddamned mess that has the potential to suck me in and grind me up like a garbage disposal. (She's still sleeping on her ex's couch, she just rage quit her post office job with no plans for a next move despite having a 3-year-old with developmental issues to worry about, and she asked me a question personal enough that I'm not going to repeat it here via text, then set the phone down and went to the neighbor's to drink for three hours while I was typing my answer.) I had pretty much written her off as out of my life, because between work/school/kid she didn't have time to spend with me and she's not great at answering texts/emails ro returning calls. Then, as her schedule suddenly freed up (see above) she called me to thank me for giving her her space and not pressuring her to spend time with me when I knew she couldn't, and I realized that I'm terrified of hurting this person. I already broke one person this year by being an idiot and not recognizing the signs that she was way more into me than I was into her, and I can't seem to get a good grip on the band-aid to tear it off because there is about a sixty percent chance that any message I send her short of face-to-face (which she doesn't have time for) will go completely unnoticed for hours or days. I spent a long time not really dating or trying to date, so the idea that I finally get back into the pool and make a mess of things and hurt people accidentally isn't that surprising, but my desire not to be "that guy" sucks.

2) This is the kind of thing that could be here or in the "Stuff" thread, it's neutral but fucked.

A few months ago, I made some new friends via a Meetup group (I later found out that a couple of my other friends were in that group, but hadn't been there the night I checked it out). A couple I've gotten pretty close to, others have been casual group friends. One of the closer ones had his birthday today, his girlfriend had got them a res at a really expensive, exclusive place and then we were meeting at his favorite place for drinks and dessert downtown. Thursday, his GF deletes the party event on Facebook and starts talking about a business trip next week being a 'fresh start' but continues to like and comment on the FB pages of people she pretty much only knows through him (and in my case, had only had two real conversations with).  Today, we get confirmation they've broken up but the party's still on.  And holy shit was it awkward, especially because the story had gotten out that Brian had fucked up so badly as to set off the open-relationship equivalent of a nuclear warhead (he slept with the one person he was actively forbidden from sleeping with--his ex wife--broke the rule about always telling the GF when he was going out with someone else BECAUSE it was the ex-wife, and told the GF about it in a public place.) And then he was devastated when she ditched him and started badmouthing him on Twitter. It was a phenomenally awkward evening, especially when another friend of mine, Chad (who Brian doesn't know well, but knows some other people in the group) showed up to collect the phone he'd left at someone's house that morning already drunk, and started talking about his fiancee in terms that made it clear they have no goddamn business getting married. (He used the word 'barnacle' to describe her, implying she clings tightly and contributes nothing, and said he never wants to drink with her again, which for Chad is a high insult. And while this is the first time he's ever said anything even THAT direct, it's been clear for a while that they don't have any real chemistry and are kind of together to be together, and getting married because they're together and want to buy a house.) My opinion of both these men has dropped some--Brian was someone I didn't know that well but was generally fond of, and Chad has been one of my best male friends for nearly the entire time I've lived in Austin, but I can't not be freaked out by that level of commitment to fucking up their lives. 

I moved up to Central Florida like 5 months ago and have been struggling to get a decent paying full time job. I was able to work 2 short term projects that paid me alright, but that was it. Aside from that I haven't been able to get anything else.Most recently I've filled applications everywhere I can think.I got 2 interviews set up not to long ago, passed the assessments and pre-employment stuff and they both feel through which was a huge blow.First I got to the interview to one of them and I thought everything went well and next thing you know, I got an email the next day telling me I didn't get hired.At the other one, everything was flowing smoothly, they even loved my interview, I passed the drug test and then the paperwork feel through and that didn't plan out for me either.So yeah, I've really been struggling for the past 5 months and have no idea on what else to do.Ok, done ranting, sorry for that.

I know that feeling man, happened to me a number of times before I started my previous job. The way I look at it, if they were leading you to believe you were getting hired and then for whatever reason they didn't, maybe it's a good thing they didn't hire you. Who knows what else they're flakey on.

CH:

As to #1, everything you posted indicates a relationship at her convenience... Just stop being available, it's really that simple. If she's as flighty as you indicate (and granted, I have only your version to go on), she's likely very easily distracted and after you don't come a-running the first two or three times she texts or calls or whatever, she will find someone/something else to be interested in. From your description, you two aren't really in any sort of relationship, you are two people who have enjoyed one another's company a time or two and there's no law that says you have to continue doing so. I realize that you are very concerned about not causing pain to another person and while that's commendable, I think you're giving yourself far too much power over how you can affect other people. Folks survive far worse than someone not calling them any longer on a regular basis and I'm sure that the young lady will do just fine. Just ask yourself if you would like to be at this same point in a relationship with her in two years and take action accordingly.

As to #2, friends are going to do stupid shit, you are going to do stupid shit, I am likely to do stupid shit; that's human nature. A friend is there to help deal with the fallout, that is all. Just my two cents, but I have little patience with people that like to involve the whole internet in their interpersonal disputes, but that's just me.