DVDVR Message Board

Saddest Song in the World Challenge!

caley

Gloomy Sunday and Keep Me In Your Heart are 2 I would have posted that have been posted already. Not a lot of artists are good at convincingly selling an emotional connection to a song. David Ruffin does. Tried to post a video with this of Daryl Hall talking about Ruffin. Talking about how he sounds like he is crying when he is singing. If it is salesmanship it is delicate and intricate salesmanship. Far more effective than hitting piercing high pitch notes.

Sometimes songs benefit from tragedy. Don't cheat. Ian Curtis deserves blame for what led to this song because of the cheating. The suicide is mental illness though and people that expect rational decision making from a suicidal person are clueless to what is actually wrong with them. My cousin committed suicide recently and the people in my family that feel the need to be self righteous about it are incredibly irritating. 

My cousin committed suicide recently and the people in my family that feel the need to be self righteous about it are incredibly irritating.

Oof, sorry. (Maybe this should be in the SON OF A~! thread? Oh well.) I had kinda this exact same argument with some kid in the college cafeteria, who was heaping condescension and judgement and scorn on a mentally-ill suicidal dude he was mildly acquainted with. When he got up to bus his tray, me and his girlfriend just sadly shook our heads at each other and muttered "He's never really had to deal with this shit up-close, has he?".
  • Like 2

Even if you don't know who Chris Bell was, you can hear anguish in every note of this. And if you do know who he was, you really REALLY hear it.

Chris Bell was the unsung genius in Big Star.  the album I AM THE COSMOS is better than most Big Star records.

Man - if we are going to start pulling stuff out of movies I will just start posting Les Mis clips and then go home and weep in the corner

• Like 1

Even if you don't know who Chris Bell was, you can hear anguish in every note of this. And if you do know who he was, you really REALLY hear it.

http://youtu.be/7VfJ8dGsAws

Chris Bell was the unsung genius in Big Star. the album I AM THE COSMOS is better than most Big Star records.

I can't reccomend "Nothing Can Hurt Me" enough if you haven't seen it on Netflix yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_-FgydQjo

Not too good at posting videos. But here's the link to a song by Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties. Character driven album by Dan Campbell of the Wonder Years. Absolutely heartbreaking. Well, the entire album is. Check it out and keep the tissues near by.

Edited by DEAN
I am a helper.

Man - if we are going to start pulling stuff out of movies I will just start posting Les Mis clips and then go home and weep in the corner

Do it. I got yer back, brotha. (With the manliest of sobbing. Our combined tears shall flood the world like the blood of the martyrs watering the meadows of France.)

I first heard this song back on the green board, when somebody posted it in the anime opening theme (or was it closing theme? I forget) tournament, and the lyrics just hit me like a pickax to the chest. Maybe because I was in a dark place myself at the time, but seriously:

I am falling

I am fading

I am drowning

Help me to breathe

I am hurting

I have lost it all

I am losing

Help me to breathe

I can't tell you how many times I've felt that exact same way. Just typing those lyrics just now has made me start bawling like a baby.

Oh, we're doing anime soundtacks now?  

Hah.  Hah.  Hah.  

Okay. 

I win.

(Drops mic.  Stares at the audience in dead silence.  Continues staring until they all fucking leave.)

I feel like I have way too many candidates for this topic, so here is another one. I think this song is more heartbreaking every time I hear it. The best part of Ray's early stuff for me is his ability to tell a great story. He has lost that somewhat with these last couple of albums.

• Like 1

This is what you guys get for my insomnia.

One of the most profound songs on racism ever...

Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman have the prettiest voices in pop history. Add some strings and I am depressed. 

For anyone who was stuck somewhere they didn't want to be and was afraid to leave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cCJHfhpKmE

I am a huge Beatles fan including the solo albums. In high school, my mother passed away and I made the mistake of listening to this song after...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhRm_92L_8

This is why Ray Davies is one of the greatest songwriters ever. He takes an upbeat song like Picture Book and when you read the lyrics, you realize, this isn't a happy song. This is a song of longing. Ray Davies makes you feel like looking at any picture and making you wish you could go back to that moment and relive the grainy faded days of your past but forcing you to accept that you can't. Fuck, that is depressing as fuck...

• 2 weeks later...

This is what you guys get for my insomnia.

One of the most profound songs on racism ever...

This is... quite good as well:

No matter how many times I listen, 1:24 sends chills through me.