DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JULY

Dolfan in NYC

The Hater’s Guide To Derek Jeter

I suppose it was going to happen.

I swear I did NOT write or contribute to that article.

#possiblybeingtruthful

Have I ever mentioned that I might have taught Jeter when he was in high school?  Part of my training to be a teacher took place at Kalamazoo Central when Jeets was there.

Apparently the Ms and Rays are discussing a possible trade for Price & Zobrist. Yeah no way I see that happening unless Jack Z wants to give up our top 5 prospects.

*edit*

Apparently they're primarily talking about Zobrist. Ms are also talking to the Twins about Willingham and the White Sox about Viciedo. Marlon Byrd talks have stalled because he will only waive his no trade to Seattle if they agree to guarantee the second year of his deal, which they aren't willing to do.

And in Cubs news only me and Craig really care about...

Bryant, Baez, Russell, and Soler all hit homers today. And in arguably even bigger news, today was Baez's first game at second base. He had a very strong day, though, you know, one game.

I haven't kept up much with the big club, but I did notice Arismendy Alcantara got called up, and after his first game where he went 0-4, he's been very good. Small sample size, but I'm excited since I had assumed he was just going to be up for two days while Barney went on maternity leave.

Now I want Barney to take an extended sabbatical somewhere else...

Padres have narrowed their GM search down to 4

Red Sox AGM Mike Hazen

Rangers AGM A.J. Preller

Yankees AGM Billy Eppler

MLB senior vice president of baseball operations Kim Ng

Of course they seem to be in no rush to actually pick someone because - ya know - July isn't an important month in baseball or anything

Actually - the have a few trade pieces

Cashner - though he is made out of glass

Chase Headley - because of the position he plays (they should have traded him like 18 months ago but it is what it is)

Huston Street - because someone will overpay for a PVC~! (Rumors right now say LAA really want him)

Bryant, Baez, Russell, and Soler all hit homers today. And in arguably even bigger news, today was Baez's first game at second base. He had a very strong day, though, you know, one game.

I haven't kept up much with the big club, but I did notice Arismendy Alcantara got called up, and after his first game where he went 0-4, he's been very good. Small sample size, but I'm excited since I had assumed he was just going to be up for two days while Barney went on maternity leave.

Yeah, I was coming here to talk about some of this stuff. In addition to the big homers game for the Fantastic 4, Bryant has hit 32 homers this season.

THIRTY-TWO. GOT-DAYUM.

Yeah, I'm all in for the "fuck drafting pitching" approach and just having a farm built on raising DESTROYERS.

There are a few good arms in the system though, namely Edwards, Viscaino, and Hendricks. Other pitching will come, because things are too crowded now, or at least will be in a few years. Even if you go with a dream line-up of Castillo at C, Rizzo at 1B, Alcantara at 2B, Russell at SS, Byant at 3B, Scwarber at LF, Almora at CF, and Soler at RF that leaves Vogelbach, Castro, and Baez without positions. And yes, when the chips are down I would use Baez as a trade piece to get more pitching, because I see a better future with any combination of the above minus Baez than I do with Baez (and that's not a knock on Baez, who I like a lot).

Yeah, I was coming here to talk about some of this stuff. In addition to the big homers game for the Fantastic 4, Bryant has hit 32 homers this season.

THIRTY-TWO. GOT-DAYUM.

Yeah, I'm all in for the "fuck drafting pitching" approach and just having a farm built on raising DESTROYERS.

The funny thing is the Cubs pitching prospects aren't bad. But most of the good ones are a couple years off still. In other circumstances, we'd be excited about our pitching pool.

There are a few good arms in the system though, namely Edwards, Viscaino, and Hendricks. Other pitching will come, because things are too crowded now, or at least will be in a few years. Even if you go with a dream line-up of Castro at C, Rizzo at 1B, Alcantara at 2B, Russell at SS, Byant at 3B, Scwarber at LF, Almora at CF, and Soler at RF that leaves Vogelbach, Castro, and Baez without positions. And yes, when the chips are down I would use Baez as a trade piece to get more pitching, because I see a better future with any combination of the above minus Baez than I do with Baez (and that's not a knock on Baez, who I like a lot).

We are putting the horse before the carriage here I think. While I'm optimistic about every prospect mentioned here, chances are one or two ends up not a major league starter level, or at least not a good one, or maybe not even a major league player at all.

Break it down by year. At the moment, the only thing I have set in stone next year are Rizzo and Castro at 1B and SS. Chances are Alcantara will be given an opportunity to start if he can hold a 260 average or higher the rest of the year. Bryant will be on the big club, most likely at 3B. If Baez has a good closing half, I can see him on the big club next year, most likely at 2B, with Alcantara getting time in Center. And, if Soler can stay healthy, you have to figure he will break with the big club, due to his contract and all around game.

Let's assume all of that happens. Now we have to see how they perform. And how the guys still off (Russell, Schwarber, Almora) continue to perform on the minors. Then we can break that down.

There are a few good arms in the system though, namely Edwards, Viscaino, and Hendricks. Other pitching will come, because things are too crowded now, or at least will be in a few years. Even if you go with a dream line-up of Castillo at C, Rizzo at 1B, Alcantara at 2B, Russell at SS, Byant at 3B, Scwarber at LF, Almora at CF, and Soler at RF that leaves Vogelbach, Castro, and Baez without positions. And yes, when the chips are down I would use Baez as a trade piece to get more pitching, because I see a better future with any combination of the above minus Baez than I do with Baez (and that's not a knock on Baez, who I like a lot).

Don't forget about Straily. 

Chase Headley - because of the position he plays (they should have traded him like 18 months ago but it is what it is)

Huston Street - because someone will overpay for a PVC~! (Rumors right now say LAA really want him)

Street has been excellent this year.  He'd look good wearing the Olde English 'D'.

Street has been excellent this year.  He'd look good wearing the Olde English 'D'.

Might not want to hold your breath for that.  The Tigers are supposedly talking to the Rangers about Joakim Soria.

Might not want to hold your breath for that.  The Tigers are supposedly talking to the Rangers about Joakim Soria.

Soria has been pretty good this year.  2.67 ERA and 40k in 30 IP.  Not bad at all.  Not Huston Street but not bad.  It sounds like they're planning to stick with Joe Nathan as the closer.  Nathan HAS been better of late but still far from good.  Even when he's not giving up runs, he has very few 1-2-3 saves.  

They're also supposedly looking at Joaquin Benoit who was with Detroit last year and was very good.  He's been great this year.  I'd be OK with him too.  Or both guys.

Brady Aiken tells the Astros to fuck off, as do the other prospects they were hoping to sign with the reduced money on Aiken. Astros get the 1.2 next year as compensation, which is bullshit, but whatever.

It's the CBA, so I suppose it is what it is, but yeah, I don't think the team should get compensation because they fucked around with low balling someone.

One of the Cardinals' TV announcers commenting on the L.A. Dodgers' sizable payroll: "The Dodgers have turned into the Yankees of Major League Baseball."  Surprisingly, it wasn't Tim McCarver.

• Like 1

Brady Aiken tells the Astros to fuck off, as do the other prospects they were hoping to sign with the reduced money on Aiken. Astros get the 1.2 next year as compensation, which is bullshit, but whatever.

It's the CBA, so I suppose it is what it is, but yeah, I don't think the team should get compensation because they fucked around with low balling someone.

Then you have to eliminate all compensation, which can create all sorts of chaos.

My major issue with this whole mess is the union speaking out in favor of the draftees, who will then get shafted once they join the minor leagues. Hey, it's almost like a political talking point that I'm not going to touch with a hundred foot pole on DVDVR since RIppa is still wearing his warpaint.