DVDVR Message Board

JUNE WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Got to love wrestling on local cable access channels. 

During my "I don't watch wrestling anymore" phase of like 1990-98, most of the wrestling I saw was laaaaaate at night on local cable access from the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis. 

I think from 1991-94 I saw more Dumptruck Dave Perry matches than Bret Hart matches.

Didn't discover indy wrestling in my area until 2000 or so.  Saw a bit of the South Broadway TV show in the following years.  Gary Jackson wrestled Ron Powers A LOT for a while there.

Only one left around here is SICW's TV show which is also on YouTube.

So, spinning off from Rusev, who was the last person to work a Russian heel gimmick for a big company that was actually from Russia?

I don't think there were any.

I remember being 8 years old and finding a VHS tape called "Super Powers Clash" at a bookstore, it turned out to be the 1989 NJPW Tokyo Dome show. It featured Vader on the cover and either on the box or on commentary they made a huge deal about guys like Zangiev, Hashimikov, and Ekelov as being Russia's "first professional wrestlers".

It absolutely murdered kayfabe for me regarding guys like Ivan and Nikita.

Kozlov has to count - he was born in Russia, but he's Ukrainian. Same difference :P

You know what the Ukraine is?  It's a sitting duck, a road apple, tristof.  The Ukraine is weak.  It's feeble.  I think it's time to put the hurt on Ukraine.

• Like 2

So, spinning off from Rusev, who was the last person to work a Russian heel gimmick for a big company that was actually from Russia?

I remember being 8 years old and finding a VHS tape called "Super Powers Clash" at a bookstore, it turned out to be the 1989 NJPW Tokyo Dome show. It featured Vader on the cover and either on the box or on commentary they made a huge deal about guys like Zangiev, Hashimikov, and Ekelov as being Russia's "first professional wrestlers".

To me it shows the producers of that tape are liars. 

The strange thing about the Nasty Boys face turn is they beat the shit out of Money Inc right before Money Inc took on the Disasters in their final rematch. 

People talk about the WWF doing heel in peril but that is a bit much. 

Not worthy of its own thread, but just wanted to hear personal stories of best/worst timed trips to the bar/toilet at wrestling shows.

My own answers came from a WWE show in Birmingham last month. I thought I'd played it smart by waiting until the announcement of a triple threat tag match to head to the bar, thinking three entrances would give me plenty of time. Sadly, a big queue meant I missed the opening few minutes of a really good Usos/Wyatt/Brotherhood triple threat. My best friend timed it much better, as his bar run missed the entirety of an awful Jinder Mahal/Brodus Clay squash match.

2005/01/02 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)

Kohei Suwama defeated Akira Raijin and Buchanan and D'Lo Brown and David Flair and Jamal and Johnny Stamboli and Keiji Muto and Kensuke Sasaki and Love Machine Storm and Nobukazu Hirai and Nobutaka Araya and Satoshi Kojima and Taiyo Kea and Tomoaki Honma and Toshiaki Kawada (11:15 minutes) [16 Man Heavyweight Battle Royal]

I almost want to pay Dean to write a review of this, but I think we can all make up funnier scenarios than the actual match just by reading that.

On a separate note, Victor Zangiev vs. Shinya Hashimoto needs its own Singles Going Steady like, yesterday.

EDIT for pimpery: 

• Like 2

I keep having memories of a wrestling show that came on for a little while when I was a kid called Coastal Carolina Wrestling or Atlantic Wrestling or Carolina Championship Wrestling (that's just a scratchy memory, no telling what the show or fed was really called).

The show had a lot of the remnants of the Crockett group post-WCW starting up, so the time frame I am thinking of if 1989-1991 or so. The main thing I remember is Nikita Koloff doing a promo about his wife dying of cancer and that was why he was away, but now he was back. He had a flat top.

I also remember Sam Houston wrestling for the group.

Can someone help me remember if this was an actual fed or if it is a hodgepodge of memories that I have combined?

I keep having memories of a wrestling show that came on for a little while when I was a kid called Coastal Carolina Wrestling or Atlantic Wrestling or Carolina Championship Wrestling (that's just a scratchy memory, no telling what the show or fed was really called).

The show had a lot of the remnants of the Crockett group post-WCW starting up, so the time frame I am thinking of if 1989-1991 or so. The main thing I remember is Nikita Koloff doing a promo about his wife dying of cancer and that was why he was away, but now he was back. He had a flat top.

I also remember Sam Houston wrestling for the group.

Can someone help me remember if this was an actual fed or if it is a hodgepodge of memories that I have combined?

Maybe a little of this and that :P  My best guess is that I remember Houston being in a promotion called SAPW (South Atlantic Pro Wrestling, existed in the Carolinas in 1991/1992) but it was Ivan Koloff in that one, not Nikita.  Also had Nasty Boys, Fantastics, I think Steamboat even had a few matches there.

Speaking of random early 1990s promotions, I had a similar situation and I still can't find the card or promotion.  Somewhere between 1990 and 1992, I went to an event at the Langley Speedway in Hampton VA.  Very small show, not WCW or anything like that.  Anyway I remember the Nasties being there as well as Steamboat, most memorable about it is that it rained during the event (outdoors) but they kept wrestling anyway and finished the event.  But I have no recollection of what the promotion ever was, so if anyone is from Hampton Roads and has any idea what I am talking about, I would appreciate it.  It could have also been SAPW since that is the right time period but I can't find any evidence of it online.

Does George Hackenschmidt count? He was born in Estonia when it was apart of the Russian Empire. 

Not worthy of its own thread, but just wanted to hear personal stories of best/worst timed trips to the bar/toilet at wrestling shows.

My own answers came from a WWE show in Birmingham last month. I thought I'd played it smart by waiting until the announcement of a triple threat tag match to head to the bar, thinking three entrances would give me plenty of time. Sadly, a big queue meant I missed the opening few minutes of a really good Usos/Wyatt/Brotherhood triple threat. My best friend timed it much better, as his bar run missed the entirety of an awful Jinder Mahal/Brodus Clay squash match.

When I used to go to a lot of Raws and Smackdowns 10-15 years ago, nothing was more perfect for booze/merch/toilet than an Undertaker entrance.

• Like 1

So Chris Sabin tweeted today that this is a unique period in wrestling history because more talent is unsigned than within the WWE. I sort of laughed because just the other day I was saying I felt as though this was the first time in a decade or so that there were no Indy superstars that remained unsigned. Am I in the minority? It seemed like a lot of people were agreeing with Sabin.

So Chris Sabin tweeted today that this is a unique period in wrestling history because more talent is unsigned than within the WWE. I sort of laughed because just the other day I was saying I felt as though this was the first time in a decade or so that there were no Indy superstars that remained unsigned. Am I in the minority? It seemed like a lot of people were agreeing with Sabin.

I don't think Sabin knows what he's talking about. Compare the indies now to the indies 6, 8, 10 years ago and there is no comparison. I don't think there are any men in ROH or indies not named Chikara I'd pay to watch wrestle, and in Chikara's case it's the overall aesthetic of the promotion and not specific talent. I feel that this is the worst the indies have been in well over a decade. Maybe Sabin is trying to talk them up or make himself feel better because he's back on the indies again.

The higher profile unsigned guys all seem to be the same guys that were on the indies 10 years ago, Sabin, Daniels, AJ Styles, Hero, Cabana, you could even throw Punk in there (technically). 

None of the above are ever likely to get a look in the WWE at this point and will probably have to plod along in ROH or wait on either Jarrett or Triple A USA getting up and running before they get a shot at national exposure again.