DVDVR Message Board

Surprising Wrestling Returns

This is a thread dedicated to the return of wrestlers that you didnt see coming. I'll start off with Larry Sweeney's return to Chikara after a 21 month hiatus during the 2010 cibernetico

• Like 2

This is a thread dedicated to the return of wrestlers that you didnt see coming. I'll start off with Larry Sweeney's return to Chikara after a 21 month hiatus during the 2010 cibernetico

Damn, I miss Larry Sweeney.

• Like 1

Oh man, I remember losing my shit like I was a freaking little girl when they did that reveal. Arn being in disbelief and saying that Ricky was "just a man" had me fanboying so damn hard.

I wasn't online much at the time, so I'm curious: Did Raven coming back to ECW come as a surprise? Or was it well- known he'd left WCW?

IIRC, ECW's first ep was pretaped by a week.

I wasn't online much at the time, so I'm curious: Did Raven coming back to ECW come as a surprise? Or was it well- known he'd left WCW?

IIRC it was pretty well-known. 

At least I knew...

It was pretty well known that he was headed to ECW but they did something kinda cool with it.

At the Queens show that was right after Raven left, Paul E did an in-ring promo about mid-way through the show and someone (multiple someones) start shouting for Raven. Paul E stops in mid-speech and says something to the effect of "You'll get him in 90 days when his no compete's up, promise" and then he finishes his promo and goes on about the show.

Raven returns in the final segment helping Dreamer beat the Dudleys and winning the tag-team titles. But I always thought that was a neat little "swerve" way of addressing the obvious without completely giving away the surprise - it seemed plausible enough to quell the speculation

Yeah, we all knew Raven was showing up in ECW.  He walked out with Eddy/Dean/Perry/HWSNBN, but it was pretty quickly established that WWF had no interest in him at the time.  Which didn't leave many options.

Jericho returning at the Rumble last year was surprising. I didn't see the Diesel return (2011?) coming either. I still remember freaking the fuck out at Lesnar's return and waking up my roommate at the time.

Low Ki returning to ROH (July 2004) seemingly to help Samoa Joe and the Briscoes fight off the Rottweilers... only to spit on the ROH belt and join up with the Rottweilers.

That was the very first thing that came to my mind as well, but can't find video of it.

Might not technically fit, but Arns reveal in smw

I say it fits perfectly. The best is how its sold. Corney falls on his ass and tries to get away, and Bobby goes to shake his hand.

• Like 2

Yeah, we all knew Raven was showing up in ECW.  He walked out with Eddy/Dean/Perry/HWSNBN, but it was pretty quickly established that WWF had no interest in him at the time.  Which didn't leave many options.

No he walked before that. Eric Bischoff gave a speech where he said that anyone who wanted to leave could go - no strings. Raven was all 'yes please' (he wasn't the only one), but then Eric Bischoff said that they could go but not to WWE. Raven left for ECW anyway, but got signed by WWE soon after the WCW contract expired.