DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

Which also famously hasn't been payed out since Trump hasn't cashed the check

I wouldn't have even bothered with a check.  Just throw three ones out of my wallet and walk out of the courtroom.

Which also famously hasn't been payed out since Trump hasn't cashed the check

I wouldn't have even bothered with a check. Just throw three ones out of my wallet and walk out of the courtroom.

You think those guys carry ones around? I'm guessing if there's any cash in there wallets it's 50's or bigger

• Like 1

I don't ever get the antitrust thing in sports. What about the existence of the NBA precludes you owning (or if you're a player) working for a team in Europe? Same holds for any other sport. Obviously you won't make any money but if you're case is "Spanish basketball is poor", by all means, go make it richer with your presence. Or found your own World Hockey Association. No one can stop you from doing so.

Well, the biggest thing in the NBA, at least, is that NBA teams continue to hold a player's rights, in perpetuity, held in stasis until the player signs. So, if you're, say, Chris Paul or Blake Griffin and you tell the Clippers "I refuse to put on a Clippers uniform again as long as Donald Sterling owns the team", and the case is in court- they could show they mean business by going to Europe- but unless they trade one of them, the Clippers would still own Paul or Griffin's rights, and get four years of Paul or Griffin when they did come back, even if they come back in their forties or fifties. (It's the same reason a lot of Euroleague players can get stashed and refuse to sign.) 

But that's general breach of contract shit, it's not anti-trust. There's no morality clause in a players contract that says they can refuse to fufill the terms of the contract should team owner be exposed as a racist. It's been a while since I read Ol' Sherman, but I assume the anti-trust argument would sound something like "NBA is the only profitable basketball league, expelling Mr. Sterling would deprive him of the ability to make a living" or something along those lines.

Look how badly mlb tried to squash the mccourt stuff before it goes to court

Any MLB comparisons are irrelevant, given that MLB is exempt from anti trust laws and the other leagues aren't.

Any MLB comparisons are irrelevant, given that MLB is exempt from anti trust laws and the other leagues aren't.

I was just pointing out how the leagues try extremely hard to keep their books/dirty laundry out of the public, especially in court.

I was just pointing out how the leagues try extremely hard to keep their books/dirty laundry out of the public, especially in court.

Like I said the NBA and owners aren't scared of losing in court there scared of the discovery stage.

Like I said the NBA and owners aren't scared of losing in court there scared of the discovery stage.

Exactly. Dude hasn't been an owner for 32 years (or whatever it is) without getting a lot of dirt on a lot of people.

I can imagine there are plenty of other long-time owners that have skeletons that Sterling knows about that would much rather see them stay in the closet.

Sterling struck me as the guy of guy who would want to take the NBA down with him, no matter the cost, and tie things up for as long as he could.

I wonder if he would sell if the NBA agreed to pay him the equivalent of his capital gains taxes if he sol

That's a good strategy, actually.  Sterling already has the NBA on record as saying he wasn't/won't be punished for anything related to his housing illegalities.  That means the NBA is punishing him for his racist remarks to his girlfriend and, if they're going to go down that road, Sterling has plenty of ammo to take other guys with him...

Donald T. changed his mind and now plans to battle to the "bloody end" as far as keeping the team and he's already bringing up Orlando Magic owner Rich DeVos making homophobic comments. I could see him try to spin Cuban's recent interview at some point.

Which would be hilarious to me, since Cuban is defending Sterling's 'racist moron' rights pretty hard.

Steve Ballmer (who was supposed to have the deal done by this week) must have given an "insulting" offer to the Sterlings. 

If Sterling is truly going rogue, this is going to be a fascinating fight: 1) The absolute last thing the owners want is to have their books opened.  2) The 9 players under contract for the Clippers next season instantly become the most powerful people in the NBA if this isn't 100% settled by October 1.  3) The contract Sterling signed as a franchisee better be 100% iron-clad, or this could take years to settle.

My guess is last week someone rational sat Sterling down and told him they had an offer and he should not pursue this through arbriation/court, because he will lose. Yesterday, he remembered, "I'm a billionaire with nothing better to do."