DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

He's said he'd lose money doing that, so at least for the time being, probably not.

“I love basketball, and I’d love to participate at some point in the NBA. If the opportunity is outside of Seattle, so be it. I will learn about any team that comes up for sale at this point,” he said at the time. “If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don’t work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive.”

Look at his interview with Anderson Cooper, it took him about 5 minutes to swing from "I'm so sorry, I'm just an old man, I consider to Magic Johnson a friend." to "Magic Johnson and his AIDS!  What's he ever done?!"

Great part of that interview was when he was trying to get Anderson to sympathize with his relationship problems and went "Haven't you ever liked a girl?"

I truly wish Anderson had simply deadpanned "Actually I'm gay" just for Sterling's flustered reaction.

ESPN's reporting that Steve Ballmer won the Clippers bidding for $2 billion.  Wonder if he'll try to move the team to Seattle eventually.

Eventually? Assuming he get the team(who the hell knows at this point), I think a news story about him trying to break the lease will be out within six months tops. . . .

Or doesn't divorce him, waits for him to die or to become fully incapacitated, and takes it all.

Sterling's will probably doesn't cover how the team would be divvied on his death, other than it going into a family trust, so Shelly acts now so she can control everything and handle all the money from the sale.

Lady Macbeth, folks.  Taking power where she can and how she sees fit.

Vince is mad that he didn't think of it first.

So it looks like the Sterling vs. NBA thing will be separate from the selling of the Clippers thing which is the best for the NBA.  It may still take time to get Sterling to go away but if they can move ahead with getting the Clippers as far away from him as possible that is all they wanted anyway.

I think he's clearly degrading mentally but Sterling has always been a guy who would rather fight than fuck so some of it is just who he is as a person.

Either way this whole affair has been a solid entertainment and I can't wait to see what happens next week.