DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Good News: No one has to watch the shitbomb that will be Jupiter Ascending until February 2015 because post production wasn't complete.

Aaargh that means I'm gonna have to do all kinds of spreadsheet nonsense to tally people's points once we get to mid-July.  Thanks for the heads up though.

In theory - could someone take a movie that hasn't come out yet and swap in for Jupiter Ascending?

Now it would have to be a straight swap - no adjusting order - but could that be an option?

Granted I am pretty sure I didn't put Jupiter Ascending on either of my lists but just curious

Yeah, now I'm wondering if switching Jupiter out for Sin City would be a better or worse descision. Box Office wise, it would probably make sense. I don't think I have good options for Rotten Tomato, but I'm already kind of boned there anyway.

Good News: No one has to watch the shitbomb that will be Jupiter Ascending until February 2015 because post production wasn't complete.

Aaargh that means I'm gonna have to do all kinds of spreadsheet nonsense to tally people's points once we get to mid-July.  Thanks for the heads up though.

In theory - could someone take a movie that hasn't come out yet and swap in for Jupiter Ascending?

Now it would have to be a straight swap - no adjusting order - but could that be an option?

Granted I am pretty sure I didn't put Jupiter Ascending on either of my lists but just curious

I'm going to say no.  You couldn't just swap the places of any two other movies that haven't come out yet, so this is pretty much the same logic.  Everyone's lists are locked in at this point.  People shouldn't have the opportunity to improve their lists just because a movie happened to get its release date postponed.

I was thinking more of the ease of you figuring out the scoring but I understand what you are saying.

Of course I just realized that I put Million Ways to Die on my RT list.

Mind you it is at the start of my block of movies that I thought would be in the 30s and 20s so I might not be screwed

It's a bit of a headache, but I had to go through it a couple of times before with Adjustment Bureau and G.I. Joe 2.  I've still got the work from those past years lying around somewhere so I can just copy whatever I did back then.

Just in case some people haven't seen this before, the rule on it is as follows (quoting from the first post in this thread):

Movies' release dates are not set in stone. If a movie's release date gets moved past September 30, 2014, and you have it on a list, it gets removed, and you get an additional number of points equal to your average points per movie on that list, rounded to the nearest whole number.

20 Reviews in and 22 Jump Street is at 95%

I wonder if that holds up well. The first one was more fun than it had any right being. It is rare that a sequel for these things can make good with that good will. I have very low expectations for it.

Edge of Tomorrow is still holding on to its strong Rotten Tomato score at 89 percent.  I think it will go down a couple more percentage points, but it's still going to hurt a few people's lists.  I doubt many people put it high on their RT ranking list.  Tom Cruise saves

BRACKET BUSTER...(you know what I mean)...

The "Tom Cruise Is Loco" factor is going to hurt it, I think.  The Fault In Our Stars could possibly back its way into second place if the reviews are as stellar as the ones for Edge of Tomorrow... 

For some reason, I think that Maleficent is going to hold firm at Number One.

There are apparently some folks trying to claim that Stars will beat Edge in box office this weekend

Those people are loons

Are you suggesting that it isn't one of "those" Young Adult novels that reprints cash over and over again?

There are apparently some folks trying to claim that Stars will beat Edge in box office this weekend

Those people are loons

Nah, they're just overbanking on Stars being "Its super-depressing so that automatically equals good and people will fawn over it".  

Vampire Academy, Beautiful Creatures, and Mortal Instruments something something all stunk at the box office. Divergent and Fault both have Shailene Woodley.

I think the only tween movie series primarily geared towards young girls that has done well is the Twilight series.   All others have been pretty horrible.

I enjoyed reading the Percy Jackson books to my daughter and taking her to see the movies, but Sea of Monsters only doing eh at the box office probably means that there will be no Titan's Curse threequel.

The Fault In Our Stars is a good story in general albeit somewhat cliche.  Given the subject, I didn't find the book to be anymore super depressing than, say, Brian's Song or Philadelphia, but that is how the film is being marketed.  Comng to grips with mortality is a shopworn premise.

I did not think the movies were that bad but they weren't Rembrandt either.  In the grand scheme of things.  Lightning Thief was pretty forgettable, so i am also shocked that Sea of Monsters was greenlit.

Nathan Fillion should've been put in jail for the scenes he stole in Sea of Monsters.

The Fault In Our Stars wasn't even eligible for the pool, so we don't have to worry about it.

IIRC, it was one of the movies that could've been voted into the pool.  Still worth dicussing if that is the case.

Excluding Tropic Thunder (which clearly wasn't sold around him) he's only gone over 100 million twice (and for an established franchise, Mission Impossible, for both of them) and 200 million (Ghost Protocol) once post-War of the Worlds in 2005.  Oblivion opened last year at 37 million, which was his first opening weekend over 30 million since MI:III in 2006.  Again excluding Tropic Thunder, it was his first open over 22 million since then. 

So...  Yeah, he's fallen off that far.

That is why making these predictions is so hard - how many actors are by themselves box office stars (meaning an actor, just being in the movie, has enough fans that it will get a good gate)?  We've learned in the last year that Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Harrison Ford, Channing Tatum, Johnny Depp, Schwarzenegger, and Adam Sandler are not.  So when I did my predictions I tried to just ignore who was in the movie but try to look at how much hype or 'buzz' it was getting.  Course I may end up in last place due to this strategy but I just didn't want to assume a movie would get a high box office just because who was in it.  I also think its more important if a movie appeals to children, or teenagers to make bank, and I don't think Edge of Tomorrow is really 'hip' to either.  We'll find out soon enough.