DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

I wanted to spice things up and come in here and talk trash about my past success in this game.  I dropped that idea quickly after looking over the movies selected and realizing this could be a horrific year for predicting what the critics are going to like with the rotten tomatoes lists.  Even worse than last year's.  I don't have much feel on what the critics are going to like this season at all.  An odd mixture of first time movies and sequels to so-so movies.

I like that every time I have entered this game I've won a prize(Free Stuff Is Good Stuff), but I'm not feeling very confident this year.  I have no shame in admitting I did some research for my box office list.  My main hope is to finish ahead of The Erotic Terrorist and RossWB.  Oh yeah. I'm calling them out.

Box Office:

1.  X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23)

2.  Transformers: Age of Extinction (Jun 27)

3.  How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Jun 13) 

4.  Godzilla (May 16)

5.  Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Jul 11)

6.  Maleficent (May 30)

7.  Guardians of the Galaxy (Aug 1)

8.  22 Jump Street (Jun 13)

9.  The Expendables 3 (Aug 15)

10. A Million Ways To Die In The West (May 30)

11. Lucy (Aug 8)

12.  The Giver

13.  Jupiter Ascending

14.  Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

15.  The Purge: Anarchy (Jul 18)

Rotten Tomatoes:

1.  How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Jun 13)

2.  X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23)

3.  Godzilla

4.  Maleficent (May 30)

5.  Edge of Tomorrow

6.  22 Jump Street (Jun 13). 

7.  Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Jul 11)

8.  A Million Ways To Die In The West (May 30)

9.  The Expendables 3 (Aug 15)

10. Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (Aug 22)

11.  Jupiter Ascending

12.  Hercules

13.  The Purge: Anarchy

14.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Aug 8)

15.  Transformers: Age of Extinction (Jun 27)

Tiebreaker:  The Expendables 3  ($76, 023, 009)

P.S.

Suicide of Spades should make a list again this year.  I like to see his picks and judge from afar.

Edited by _MJ_

I am completely taking a stab in the dark with this one. These films, especially on the rotten tomatoes side really feel like they are going to bunch together in the 40-60% range on RT, and there are very few films on this list that makes this feel like an exceptional summer quality-wise. I accidentally ranked the 18 films remaining and had to quickly pull three.

Box Office:

1 Transformers: Age of Extinction (Jun 27)

2 X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23)

3 How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Jun 13)

4 Godzilla (May 16)

5 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Jul 11)

6 Maleficent (May 30)

7 22 Jump Street (Jun 13)

8 Guardians of the Galaxy (Aug 1)

9 Edge of Tomorrow (Jun 6)

10 A Million Ways To Die In The West (May 30)

11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Aug 8)

12 Hercules (Jul 25)

13 The Expendables 3 (Aug 15)

14 Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (Aug 22)

15 The Purge: Anarchy (Jul 18)

Rotten Tomatoes

1 X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23)

2 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Jul 11)

3 Godzilla (May 16)

4 Guardians of the Galaxy (Aug 1)

5 Edge of Tomorrow (Jun 6)

6 How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Jun 13)

7 Sin City: A Dame To Kill For (Aug 22)

8 22 Jump Street (Jun 13)

9 Maleficent (May 30)

10 A Million Ways To Die In The West (May 30)

11 Hercules (Jul 25)

12 The Expendables 3 (Aug 15)

13 The Purge: Anarchy (Jul 18)

14 Transformers: Age of Extinction (Jun 27)

15 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Aug 8)

Tiebreaker: X-Men Days of Future Past: $141,500,000

Godzilla is at 86% Fresh so far.  The first list breaker of the pool?

Right now we have 34 people in the pool, 31 of them put Godzilla on their RT list, and 19 of those people have it in the top 5.  So it's going to hurt some people, but most of them are ok.  I'm thinking Bryan Cranston has enough of a reputation that it was tough to put it too low.

Godzilla is at 86% Fresh so far.  The first list breaker of the pool?

Right now we have 34 people in the pool, 31 of them put Godzilla on their RT list, and 19 of those people have it in the top 5.  So it's going to hurt some people, but most of them are ok.  I'm thinking Bryan Cranston has enough of a reputation that it was tough to put it too low.

Rotten Tomatoes always tends to start rather high for early reviews. Most of the early stuff tends to be smaller websites that are more fan-boy related. At 21 Reviews, I would say it's safe to say the movie hasn't found its maturity point as far as Rotten Tomatoes goes. I would guess it falls into the low or mid 70s by Monday.

Most of the pure horror sites I go to like Dread Central also have high opinions of Godzilla. 

I remain optimistic that this is actually going to be a kick-ass movie at least in the eyes of the monster-centric..

Well then I need to start checking out these small websites more often because the "top critics" generally have terrible taste in film.

Neighbors is going to fuck my shit up. I figured it would get good reviews but I did not expect $51M on opening weekend. That's insane.

I edited my list.

The trailers for Edge of Tomorrow looked well enough, but there's too many unknowns with it.  I've learn to leave those types of unknown movies off my list.  Tom Cruise has failed me for the last time.

Also, the annual comic book/superhero summer movie question:  are the critics going to like Guardians or X-Men more?  I figure X-Men wins the box office with all the buzz for it lately (good and bad).  Not so sure about the rotten tomatoes side of things.   Critics seem to favor serious superhero movies over comedic ones, so it's difficult to see Guardians winning the rotten tomatoes battle.  However, Guardians' trailer has bit of a different feel to it.  I think it might help its appeal.

Also, normally a Transformer movie should automatically be the 1st box office movie on everyone's list.  No question.  Even the last one did 300 million plus in its sleep.  I hoping for 4th movie fatigue though.

Also, normally a Transformer movie should automatically be the 1st box office movie on everyone's list.  No question.  Even the last one did 300 million plus in its sleep.  I hoping for 4th movie fatigue though.

I would not bet against the Dinobots even if the movie gets terrible reviews.  The only movie I can see beating Transformers this summer for the #1 spot is maybe the X-Men epic.

If GoTG gets a lukewarm reception, that will kill its draw.

Godzilla may be the sleeper hit of the summer if the buzz holds through Memorial Day weekend.

Days of Future Past is at a super early 93% - basically 14 reviews only one of them bad.

Neighbors will settle in the mid 70s range which means it has a good chance of being in the Top 5

Please don't suck How to Train Your Dragon 2

Days of Future Past is at a super early 93% - basically 14 reviews only one of them bad.

I think X-Men: Days of Future Past shall end in the 80-89% range, small chance at breaking the 90s which few comic book films have done. Can't see a big drop in the Rotten Tomatoes rating like most comic books films seem to now.

I would not bet against the Dinobots even if the movie gets terrible reviews.  The only movie I can see beating Transformers this summer for the #1 spot is maybe the X-Men epic.

If GoTG gets a lukewarm reception, that will kill its draw.

Godzilla may be the sleeper hit of the summer if the buzz holds through Memorial Day weekend.

You've convinced me.  I'm moving Transformers to the second spot on my box office list.  Another edit from me.  I think X-Men has enough buzz to win for 4 weeks though.

I'm not shocked that Godzilla is going to do well at the box office.  They've promoted it quite well so I don't think it's a sleeper.  I am surprise at how good the reviews are for it (so far, of course).  I mean, it does have a good cast but the monsters are usually the stars of monster flicks. 

Okay, don't laugh.

Box office

Transformers: Age of Extinction
How To Train Your Dragon 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Maleficent
22 Jump Street
A Million Ways To Die In The West
Edge of Tomorrow
Lucy
Expendables 3
Hercules
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Giver
The Purge: Anarchy
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
Jupiter Ascending

Rotten Tomatoes

How To Train Your Dragon 2
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Godzilla
Lucy
Maleficent
The Giver
Edge of Tomorrow
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
Expendables 3
A Million Ways To Die In The West
Hercules
Guardians of the Galaxy
Transformers: Age of Extinction
The Purge: Anarchy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Tiebreak - Transformers: Age of Extinction - $356,428,767

I think a lot of people are going to regret putting Guardians of the Galaxy so high on their RT list.  It's James Gunn directing Chris Pratt.

That was me when the 3rd one came out.

Part 1 709 million

Part 2 836 million

Jae says: But Part two. It was so awful. People surely won't watch more of that shit.

Part 3 1.1 BILLION FUCK YOU JAE

So Part 4 replaces Shia Labeouayf with Mark Wahlberg. Also Dinobots. The sky isn't even the limit here, Matt.