DVDVR Message Board

Anybody but JGL really. I know the kid is a good actor and has some excellent performances but honestly he kinda bores me. He reminds me of a less douchey, less over-exposed Shia actually.

JGL is so much more overexposed than Shia it's not even funny.Watched Tuesday's Agents episode and it will likely be my last. Every time a main cast member opens their mouth I want to reach for the mute button.

Why should he? If he wanted to do another superhero film, he could absolutely get a bigger one than Ant-Man. Daredevil or something.

That kind of thinking doesn't really make sense anymore in this post-Avengers world.

If the movie becomes popular, which can't be ruled out with it being tied in to the Marvel cinematic universe, Ant-Man could very well become a "bigger" superhero than Daredevil.

Whenever I hear this stuff about an Ant-Man movie, I am like, "Really?"," and that Cartoon Network short runs in my head where Zann from the Wonder Twins complains about how useless his powers are.

"I could be defeated by anything above room temperature or a sponge.  It doesn't even have to be an evil sponge."

I have the power to control ants and I am the same size as one.  i could be beaten by anyone wearing Timberlands or carrying a large can of Raid.

Whenever I hear this stuff about an Ant-Man movie, I am like, "Really?"," and that Cartoon Network short runs in my head where Zann from the Wonder Twins complains about how useless his powers are.

"I could be defeated by anything above room temperature or a sponge.  It doesn't even have to be an evil sponge."

I have the power to control ants and I am the same size as one.  i could be beaten by anyone wearing Timberlands or carrying a large can of Raid.

Having control of insects and being able to alter your size is a great power. Turning giant at the end will be a great moment. 

Watched Tuesday's Agents episode and it will likely be my last. Every time a main cast member opens their mouth I want to reach for the mute button.

I'm very close to being out on the show, as well. I've got maybe one or two left in me.As an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD, I thought "Eye-Spy" was the best of the 3 post-pilot episodes, but at this point, "an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD" is such a fundamentally flawed endeavour, that's not saying much. Bottom line: The team stinks. Coulson doesn't work as the lead, and the rest of the characters suffer from either poor casting or being redundant.Everybody wants to know why they junked Melinda May's reluctance to get into combat so early, and I think the answer is simple: They realized Ming-Na Wen stinks at playing the stoic, ruminant badass. She brings nothing to the show, in fact actively brings it down, any time she's not kicking ass. Seriously, she's terrible. I nominate her to be the first Joss Murder of the main cast. At least if she dies, Coulson can feel bad about getting her back into action and stop being Mr. Glib all the time, and, you know, maybe she'll have had some positve impact on the show that way.One of Fitz and Simmons can die, too. I don't know why there had to be two of them to begin with. It's a fucking comic book show. Just have one super-smart person who possesses all world knowledge as your "scientist" character.

Watched Tuesday's Agents episode and it will likely be my last. Every time a main cast member opens their mouth I want to reach for the mute button.

I'm very close to being out on the show, as well. I've got maybe one or two left in me.As an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD, I thought "Eye-Spy" was the best of the 3 post-pilot episodes, but at this point, "an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD" is such a fundamentally flawed endeavour, that's not saying much. Bottom line: The team stinks. Coulson doesn't work as the lead, and the rest of the characters suffer from either poor casting or being redundant.Everybody wants to know why they junked Melinda May's reluctance to get into combat so early, and I think the answer is simple: They realized Ming-Na Wen stinks at playing the stoic, ruminant badass. She brings nothing to the show, in fact actively brings it down, any time she's not kicking ass. Seriously, she's terrible. I nominate her to be the first Joss Murder of the main cast. At least if she dies, Coulson can feel bad about getting her back into action and stop being Mr. Glib all the time, and, you know, maybe she'll have had some positve impact on the show that way.One of Fitz and Simmons can die, too. I don't know why there had to be two of them to begin with. It's a fucking comic book show. Just have one super-smart person who possesses all world knowledge as your "scientist" character.

Yeah, I swear they casted this show from a Sears catalog.  Everyone looks almost the same, all good looking but not overwhelmingly so.  If you were to watch the pilot and then replace the entire cast with a team of other brunette unknowns, how long would it take you to notice.  They are just too generic, if I didn't spend so much time commenting on it here, I don't think I would know their names. 

Yeah, I swear they casted this show from a Sears catalog.  Everyone looks almost the same, all good looking but not overwhelmingly so.  If you were to watch the pilot and then replace the entire cast with a team of other brunette unknowns, how long would it take you to notice.  They are just too generic, if I didn't spend so much time commenting on it here, I don't think I would know their names.
So true. But I guess that shouldn't be surprising. Casting has never been Whedon's strength. With the exception of FIREFLY, which was loaded, his track record is pretty spotty, at best, and he definitely has his types. The guy who plays Ward (hold on let me look this up........Brett Dalton) is exactly the sort of anonymously handsome "leading man" type that Joss has been casting for...ever.Maybe it made sense to cast like that 10 or 15 years ago, but it's sad that we're here in 2013, when the doors have never been more wide open to cast interesting people, and he's still using his cookie cutter.It's really almost an accident when a relatively unkown great actor gets cast on a Joss show. His strength has always been cultivating the characters to work within the limitations of the sub-par actors he casts. Unfortunately, he has minimal involvement with this show, which means we're just stuck with the bland actors and little chance of that spontaneous epiphany when he realizes, "Oh, Alexis Denisoff can do *that*."

Yeah, Affleck is gonna be the RDJR of the eventual JLA movie and Bale is still fresh in people's minds. I don't see how they'd do a JGL Batman series unless they wanted to maybe do the adventures of Young Batman concurrently with Affleck playing the *snort* "grizzled" old version. I highly doubt the studio would want multiple Batmen running about.

Althiugh word is they are prepping a Flash TV series and I don't see how you do JLA without him. Maybe they go Smallville style and have the TV version wear a trench coat & call himself The Blur while saving the suit for the film. I dunno, whatever DC does I'm sure they'll fuck it up.

JGL really doesn't strike me as Batmany anyway. He's kinda off-putting and dorkish. I can see why Antman was rumored for him. His Dr Mindbender was a perfect template for what Hank should be. You gotta be socially awkward and kinda creepy to spend all day studying bugs instead of messing around with your babe socialite gf/wife.

I'm very close to being out on the show, as well. I've got maybe one or two left in me.As an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD, I thought "Eye-Spy" was the best of the 3 post-pilot episodes, but at this point, "an episode of AGENTS OF SHIELD" is such a fundamentally flawed endeavour, that's not saying much. Bottom line: The team stinks. Coulson doesn't work as the lead, and the rest of the characters suffer from either poor casting or being redundant.

I've leaned more towards the problem being the conception and development (writing) of the characters than the casting.  That said, you make a good case for May being more interesting on paper than Ming-Na Wen makes her on screen.  And I agree with you that they really need to do something to make Coulson work better.  The good news is that the LMD thing gives them an easy way to make adjustments.

Oh, I thought of one other thing I liked about the last episode: they made it look as if Akela had telepathy, then Skye suggested it, but the rest of the team shot her down.  The standard trope would be that she does, indeed, have telepathy.  So it was nice that they changed that up a bit.  (On the other hand, when someone asked Coulson if he recognized Akela, he responded something like "I should.  I trained her."  That was probably the most generic and obvious line on the show so far.)

• Like 1

The death of that girl doctor in the climax on tonight's episode was pretty graphic for a comic book show on primetime ABC.

This was a good episode though, except I had a massive eyeroll when that dude caused a traffic jam from his cell phone.

Yeah, the plot moved along nicely.  Still didn't get much out of the characters or dialogue, but oh well. 

Odd that they killed the doctor they set up in episode one, but given that she looked about 14, it's for the best.  The other badguy woman is a step up.  And the bit at the end talking to the guy in jail was intriguing.  And it's nice to get a return of one of the villainous elements they've already introduced.

The idea of a computer supergenius being able to hack into traffic lights to make them all go green doesn't seem as unrealistic as a guy who doesn't burn because of his platelets or whatever they were saying. 

We'll see how it goes, but it seems far-fetched to think that they'd allow Skye to remain on the team in any capacity.  But she's the only character they've spent any time focusing on, so she must be hanging around (not to mention, regular cast member, etc).

So was May just hanging out in the living room while Skye and her dude were getting it on?  Perv.