DVDVR Message Board

Cap is *NOT* Bella Swan.

No, she actually did something hurtful to another person because she wanted something different.

Whereas Cap is this weird mascot for the Republican moral ideal.

You do know that is completely wrong right? 

Anyone who says they had affection for the Mandarin character is lying anyway. 

And this is too. If Mandarin only had the Acts Of Vengeance story arc, that would be enough to be a great villain. 

I think CAPTAIN AMERICA and MAN OF STEEL are probably the two most divisive movies of the modern comic movie era.

I think Iron Man 3 is another.

I like both Captain America and Man of Steel. Is that allowed?

I also like both.

• Like 1

"It's a secret Marvel project. I'm not allowed to say any more, you're going to have to wait and see," said Sir Ben Kingsley when asked about working with Marvel Studios again. This statement comes from the veteran actor's recent promotional tour for Ender's Game. Kingsley refused to say whether that project is a return for his character from Iron Man 3 but that seems the likeliest option at this juncture.On working with Marvel as a whole, Kingsley has nothing but praise for the film studio. "I think they have enormous taste as creative artists. There's nothing lazy or gratuitous about their work. They are at the top of their game, and they're great company to keep."Kevin Feige was also asked about Ben's secret project but decline to comment. What do you think it could be?

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

Thinking it might be a Marvel One-Shot.

Are you talking about non-US Republicans?If not, that's the worst read of a character I've ever seen.

White, loves war, believes in sacrificing human life for a mythological greater good (as defined by American ideals). He's pretty much the poster boy for Karl Rove.

Completely wrong.  

Are you talking about non-US Republicans?If not, that's the worst read of a character I've ever seen.

White, loves war, believes in sacrificing human life for a mythological greater good (as defined by American ideals). He's pretty much the poster boy for Karl Rove.

This would be the reactionary post-9/11/Ultimates take on Cap that gets everything wrong about the character.  They started swinging back to the "real" Cap when they brought him back from the dead, only to go back off the rails (somewhat) during Marvel NOW!

Anyhoo, I figured Ultimate Cap would be your favorite version, what with your love of MoS.  (or was that Gonzalez?  you're running together in my head)

Not at all. I'm saying he just happens to be exactly what the Republican party believes in. It isn't a coincidence that Cap turned up in the middle of a World War, that he's got a ridiculously jingoistic name, and that he was a super soldier. Did he happen to fight communists in the 80s? How about Arabs in the early 90s?

Cap was created in 1941. So do you mean the GOP of 1941, the GOP post-civil rights realignment, or the GOP under its current Obama-era evolution?When you consider the history of the party and of the character, this reading evaporates quickly.

Especially when the early Caps showed him hanging out with FDR (a Democrat, btw). If anything, non-Ultimates Cap was always portrayed as a New Dealer. Hell, in the 70s they made a big story about him becoming disillusioned with America because of Richard Nixon (a Republican), changing his name to Nomad and deciding to just travel the country like a damned dirty hippie. The reading of non-Ultimates Cap as a neo-Con is patently absurd.

If one thinks "Captain America" is a jingoistic name, then one must also think that "Captain Switzerland" is jingoistic. And that's ridiculous.

If you say the name is nationalistic, fine. If you say America the country is jingoistic, fine though not really the place for that discussion (and Id remind that in March of 1941 America was trying to avoid getting into a foreign war). But the name isn't jingoistic.

You don't have to read the character, you have to just look at him. He's the sort of character that exists in the 40s with LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS taglines and such. America, the country that invades anyone they want at will, obviously clung on to him and alongside NASCAR and the NRA, made him a posterboy for idiots.

Look at the movie. Before the serum, he's a naiive idiot desperate to go die for his country.

Not at all. I'm saying he just happens to be exactly what the Republican party believes in. It isn't a coincidence that Cap turned up in the middle of a World War, that he's got a ridiculously jingoistic name, and that he was a super soldier. Did he happen to fight communists in the 80s? How about Arabs in the early 90s?

He turned up BEFORE the start of the American involvement in WWII, created by two Jewish kids as wish fulfillment/propaganda to get the US into the war and stop the atrocities that Simon/Kirby were hearing about via relatives still back in Europe.  You gotta realize that from the 20s-41 America was staunchly isolationist, and people thought the Nazis were A-OK because they were rebuilding Germany after an economic collapse.

In the 50s Stan wrote Cap as a reactionary, hunting Commies, but that didn't last very long and was quickly retconned after they re-intro him in the '60s.  No middle eastern baddies for Cap in the 90s, nor communist baddies in the '80s. (outside some run-ins with Iron Man/FF villains)  In fact Cap met up with a Russian version of the Avengers (the Winter Guard) and was downright friendly with them after the initial "superhero misunderstanding fight" 

Look at the movie. Before the serum, he's a naive idiot desperate to go die for his country.

In the movie he wanted to join up because it was AFTER Pearl Harbor, you self-centered fuckwit.  Look at what happened after 9/11, people began enlisting in droves because their country had been attacked.  That's not jingoism, that's patriotism.  He didn't want to kill anyone or be killed, he wants to do whatever he can to help out and bring as many people as possible back home alive. 

I know it's hard for you to understand, but some people actually interact with their community, and when they see something that's wrong they try to fix it.

• Like 3

In the movie he wanted to join up because it was AFTER Pearl Harbor, you self-centered fuckwit.  Look at what happened after 9/11, people began enlisting in droves because their country had been attacked.  That's not jingoism, that's patriotism.  He didn't want to kill anyone or be killed, he wants to do whatever he can to help out and bring as many people as possible back home alive. 

I know it's hard for you to understand, but some people actually interact with their community, and when they see something that's wrong they try to fix it.

There's a poem you should read, by Wilfred Owen.

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.
Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Read that and tell me Cap isn't a complete parody of a fucking character.