DVDVR Message Board

capsa3.jpg

Was this written around the same time as the "Does this A stand for France?" garbage?  Because Cap (as depicted above) seems to have no understanding of the fact that America is a democracy (or democratic republic or whatever).  I mean, "It doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right"?  Uh, yeah it does.  It doesn't make it right (e.g. slavery) but it makes it the law of the land, which kinda matters.  In short, that speech sounds really dumb. (though it's amusing in the context which TheVileOne posted it)

Back to GotG:

No, it's not earned. We're talking about a 20 second intro scene. She's a nothing character, really more of a plot functionary than a character.

The salve girl existed just to show that grabbing the Infinity Gem fucks you up. Which made the ending dramatic.

Just want to point out that "[she] existed just to show that grabbing the Infinity Gem fucks you up." does not refute the criticism that she's "really more of a plot functionary than a character". It's pretty much saying the same thing, just from a different perspective.

Honestly I think a good bit could have been done in just five seconds. After the shot with the slave girl in chains, Collector walks away. You just add a bit where slave girl looks at chained girl. Chained girl gives her a pleading look. Slave girl looks a bit worried, but then gives her a little nod. A teeny little thing like that would accomplish a good bit: She's not resigned to her fate; she's going to try to break out at some point. Still wouldn't make them fully fleshed out, but it would add something.

• Like 1

It would foreshadow that she's about to do something, which would take away the surprise of the moment, when it being a surprise was clearly the plan.  It would hurt, not help.

The "A for France" is from The Ultimates, and has nothing to do with the mainstream universe Cap.  IIRC, that image there is from Civil War or one of the tie-in books.

• Like 1

One thing I've never understood, Zeidler. You make it sound like enjoying Man of Steel was some crazy thing. It's still a 7.3 over at IMDB. By comparison that's higher than Thor, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: First Avenger and Thor: The Dark World.

there are a lot of people who did like it even if you hated it and continue to crap on it at every turn :lol:

Even stranger that it comes from people that gleefully ignore the collateral damage Cap caused directly in Winter Solider. But that was off-screen...

EDIT: Oh, and a love letter to a "national hero" so that it was wrong, and broke the movieverse's own continuity, is ignored.

Was this written around the same time as the "Does this A stand for France?" garbage?  Because Cap (as depicted above) seems to have no understanding of the fact that America is a democracy (or democratic republic or whatever).  I mean, "It doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right"?  Uh, yeah it does.  It doesn't make it right (e.g. slavery) but it makes it the law of the land, which kinda matters.  In short, that speech sounds really dumb. (though it's amusing in the context which TheVileOne posted it)

It was written some years after.  The A for France thing was written for the first volume of Ultimates by Mark Millar.  The above speech was written by J. Michael Stracynski during The Civil War storyline.

Honestly, I was not a big fan of the Civil War storyline.  I posted the image more because it felt more relevant after the move of Batman/Superman.  People here are very sensitive about it.  I find it more amusing than anything.  I thought it was fun, and I like the speech more now.

Also Cap is really just saying you have to stand up for what is right no matter what.  But Civil War was stupid and Cap going about it the way he did was also stupid, so whatever.  

Even stranger that it comes from people that gleefully ignore the collateral damage Cap caused directly in Winter Solider. But that was off-screen...

Off-screen damage is always better than onscreen.

For the record, I didn't like WS as much as First Avenger, but loved that they made Cap wikileaks, or Snowden or whatever.

The collateral damage in Winter Soldier were HYDRA agents, the Triskelion and the fascist HELICARRIERS that were about to wipe out half the planet.  The implication is that the good agents evacuated or tried to join Cap in the fight and got killed in the process.  No civilians actually died from the crashes since they were isolated to the Triskelion.

capsa3.jpg

Also Cap is really just saying you have to stand up for what is right no matter what.  But Civil War was stupid and Cap going about it the way he did was also stupid, so whatever.  

Hmmm... how can I explain my position on this without starting a big flame war? I'll try my best. What Cap is saying here is that we are a nation of individuals, not a collective. Even if something is "the law of the land", there's no reason an individual citizen has to stop speaking out about it, has to stop fighting it, or has to stop trying to convince people that he's right if that individual disagrees. Tyranny of the majority and all that jazz.

That was the nicest way I could say it.

• Like 2

The collateral damage in Winter Soldier were HYDRA agents, the Triskelion and the fascist HELICARRIERS that were about to wipe out half the planet.  The implication is that the good agents evacuated or tried to join Cap in the fight and got killed in the process.  No civilians actually died from the crashes since they were isolated to the Triskelion.

But we're ignoring those civilians, good agents, US Intell, FBI, US Soliders, or any other government solider or agent that ever worked with SHIELD now being exposed because Cap, Falcon, Widow, Fury, and Hill flippantly dumped the entire SHIELD database onto the Net because hey, leaking classified intel is cool, aren't we?  Shit, even the Government called Widow on that, and her response was "Eh, deal with it".  That's the collataral.  Ignoring that while bitching about how Superman was grimdark is dumb.  Especially when it was established that not all SHIELD people were HYDRA, there were "good", legit agents working with SHIELD, so that database had LEGIT intel on it that dumping it onto the net so any bad guy, terrorist, or supervillian with a smart phone had full unrestricted access to it was horrible.

But not considering the fallout is ok, because explosions are cool, Capt 'Murica, fuck yeah!

No matter how you reconsile it, the end of Winter Solider was shitty, and it was a shitty, out of character thing for Cap to do.  Worse than his Civil War shit.  In this Movieverse, the Governments of the World should fucking HATE the Avengers for acting like Gods with no accountability.  Its been a common theme across every Marvel movie thus far, that the heroes literally give zero fucks about the consequences of their actions, and act like they're above reprocussions because who's gonna stop them?

At least the theme of BvS, while people are non-stop bitching about EMOSUPERMAN, is someone calling him on the rampaging through Metropolis shit.

Also the nitpicky fact that why the hell didn't JARVIS know this shit when he hacked the Helicarrier two movies ago?

• Like 1

At least the theme of BvS, while people are non-stop bitching about EMOSUPERMAN, is someone calling him on the rampaging through Metropolis shit.

It's important to understand that a lot of it is the tone of the movie that they're trying to create and how it's presented. Captain America saved the day and was presented as triumphant. Superman was put in a position where he is vulnerable to being called out. You can read the text different ways, but that's what was presented on screen. 

You're saying "At least someone's going to call him out!" We're saying "He should have never been put in that position in the first place!" It's using Andre the Giant in a cruiserweight style match. He's going to look like shit. Maybe some people would get kicks out of that because they like seeing heroes brought down and look like shit, but it's a waste of Andre the Giant.

But what I'm all up in arms about being ignored is that Cap *was* put in the position that someone should call him out, and he won't be . And they tried to call Widow out, and she blew it off.  No better than what MoS did to Supes, but we're ignoring it in WS while focusing on it in MoS, because WS had the "Feel good happy" vibe and MoS had the much hated "Dark" vibe.

Be consistant.

I enjoyed the movie very much but Raziel has brought up some real criticisms that I can't argue with. My issue has always been the people who hold Superman to a higher standard than The Avengers. They are all heroes..  Why shouldn't The Avengers be held to that same standard?