DVDVR Message Board

Ultimate Warrior 1959-2014

I dunno, after the HOF, I really came away feeling it when he said "I was a good guy.  I AM a good guy".  Dude was a nutjob, but he seemed like a good dad, and overall did seem like a good guy.  Just such a blindsiding story.

I want to add, I'm never going to demonize anyone who's committed suicide. I don't think you "go to hell" for it, that a person is "selfish" for the act or whatever. I was trying to make a very broad point about legacies of individual lives that may have fallen short. I apologize for pissing anyone off. Truly.

You also get stupid comments like this on the WWE story: "First the STREAK and now WARRIOR... wow... just wow"

Something like thay came across my Twitter feed "first Punk leaves, then the Streak ends, and now this"

Wrestling fans seem to lack in perspective sometimes.

It's almost as tragic as Gino Hernandez dying so soon after the blinding of Chris Adams.

• Like 1

The truth will come out eventually about how he died, but, wow! I can't help but feel that he knew something was up, and he was heading toward the end. Something did seem off with him last night on Raw. Those poor little girls, wow, R.I.P. Warrior!

You also get stupid comments like this on the WWE story: "First the STREAK and now WARRIOR... wow... just wow"

Something like thay came across my Twitter feed "first Punk leaves, then the Streak ends, and now this"

Wrestling fans seem to lack in perspective sometimes.

It's almost as tragic as Gino Hernandez dying so soon after the blinding of Chris Adams.

Gino was more tragic.  The only death I can think of more tragic than Gino off the top of my head was Eddie.

As much as it is tragic for Warrior, this is something I think many folks expected- I think Warrior had about 10 deaths on the internet before today.  Almost as many as Sid.

Here ya go. No suicide according to TMZ:

9:52 PM PT -- Officials tell TMZ ... Warrior collapsed outside an Arizona hotel at 5:50 PM on April 8th ... while walking to his car with his wife.

Warrior was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he was pronounced dead.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2yMVwiTYL

I'm glad to hear that.

I mean ... you know what I mean, I hope.

Gutted. One of my all-time favorites. I was thrilled to see him back in the fold with WWE.

Really feel awful for his wife and daughters. They seem like such a tight, loving family from what I've heard and what I saw from them at the HOF. They adored each other.

A huge loss for professional wrestling.

• Like 2

Here ya go. No suicide according to TMZ:

9:52 PM PT -- Officials tell TMZ ... Warrior collapsed outside an Arizona hotel at 5:50 PM on April 8th ... while walking to his car with his wife.

Warrior was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he was pronounced dead.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2yMVwiTYL

It was 95 degrees here in the Valley of the Sun today.

It's really sad that so many wrestlers have died in so many nefarious ways that now some of us just have to assume the absolute worst whenever anyone dies. 

If there is anything positive to come out of this, it's the fact that he got the respect, admiration, and kindness from so many at the end of his life, rather than at a funeral afterwards.  Random people die and that's the time that you always hear such kind words about them, and I often think: "Why didn't you say all of this when they were alive?  Why are you doing it when it's too late?"  Warrior at least got probably the best farewell any of us could have ever received.

I'm not even sure I can even watch his HOF or RAW speeches again after this.

I will however pay respects by watching one of the greatest squash matches in wrestling history:  Warrior destroying Honky Tonk Man in 28 seconds at SummerSlam '88.

• Like 1

Top 10 Warrior memories?

1) Warrior/Savage Mania 7

*daylight*

2) Warrior making the save at Mania 8

3) Warrior, LOD and KVE teaming at SS

4) The Papa Shango stuff

5) The Jake vignettes

6) Hogan at the Skydome

7) HTM match

8) HHH squash

9) Slaughter title match

10) Andre squash.

I remember when we did a 'Greatest Matches of WWE' on Smarkschoice and people got totally mad at me for putting this REALLY high (Definitely Top 10, maybe Top 5, I forget really)

But, to me, it's the perfect encapsulation of wrestling: chickenshit bad guy who constantly weasels his way out of matches having to face the unstoppable fan favourite getting destroyed to the delight of thousands.  This has three of the greatest pops of all-time: when Warrior's music hits as the mystery opponent, when the ref counts to three, and when Warrior raises the belt and the crowd realizes he's actually won it and they're not going to take it away on some technicality.

• Like 4

Everyone is posting pics of him from Wrestlemania weekend saying he looked fine but I'd love to see a photo of him from weeks or months ago. Wonder if he felt the need to bulk up to look presentable in a wrestling setting.

I am beyond stunned. Please don't infer I'm equating the two but this reminds me of the Benoit thing in that the news so completely blindsided me that I'm just in utter disbelief. With the aforementioned I just sat at my computer clicking from site to site trying to find out if it was a bogus story and that's exactly how I spent the last hour.

Man, to think less than 24 hours ago he was in the middle of the ring cutting a full-on classic Warrior promo. This is just surreal...

I echo the earlier comments about really really hoping there's nothing shady or untoward about his passing. Not that it would be any less sad but I'd just prefer to think these past 3 days were the happiest he's had in years and not....something else.