DVDVR Message Board

Same here.  Also had my salary covered, so no money ramifications.  Our case was very boring - no witnesses, just lawyers reading previous testimony into the record again (this was an appeal) - but the overall experience was a good one.  I was selected as jury foreman, got to serve with a former co-worker of mine, and generally had a good time.  Much better experience than my dad had - he served on a jury for a child abuse case of some flavor and it messed him up.

My only jury duty experience was a bank robbery, and we pieced together where the guy had been via cell-tower triangulation.  I felt very nerdy/proud hen I figured out there was no way the guy could have been in a different town but on the same cell tower.

It was pretty odd, because after the verdict the judge came back and basically let us know the entire thing was kayfabed, and everyone involved was just going through the motions because the state's case covered everything.

Fick money and fuck whoever thought it was a good idea for it to make the world go 'round. There's only so much you can cut when a month's child care equals a month's rent and yet it still doesn't eat enough income that one of us staying home wouldn't bankrupt us. And even then it can't be me because I owe over $50k in loans and it can't be my wife because our kid is in the three-year-old stage and would drive her batty.

It's getting so that I'm planning to apply for a job I know I will hate just because it will be a significant raise.

FUCK.

• Like 1

My only jury duty experience was a bank robbery, and we pieced together where the guy had been via cell-tower triangulation.  I felt very nerdy/proud hen I figured out there was no way the guy could have been in a different town but on the same cell tower.

It was pretty odd, because after the verdict the judge came back and basically let us know the entire thing was kayfabed, and everyone involved was just going through the motions because the state's case covered everything.

In my case, a woman was appealing the discontinuation of her disability payments.  The state had determined that she could work and told her so.  She was appealing that decision.  After we got done, her attorney requested permission to speak to the jury, which we granted.  He came in and started asking us why his case had bombed.  Everybody looked me with that "well, you're the foreman, you tell him..." look.  I'm not exactly afraid to voice opinions so I told him he hadn't even come close to proving his case.  He seemed hurt by that but it was true. 

Seriously, other than the actual format of the trial - with the attorneys acting as "witnesses" and reading from transcripts - I enjoyed the experience quite a bit.

My only experience with jury duty that made it past the big room waiting to be seated was the inspiration for the original version of the FUCK YOU (random life things) thread on the previous board.

In short, I spent 4.5 hours at the courthouse in order to get a chance to tell the judge I'd known the defendant for 20+ years, and the two guys he had listed as witnesses for 12+ and 20+ years, and thus being excused, and the case was a former...  not exactly friend, but classmate/teammate/acquaintance being charged with (and eventually being convicted of) abducting and raping a 12 year old girl...  So, yeah, not a good experience in any way.

A ginormous fuck you to me. Once again, the promotion I was looking for went to someone else. But, it's my fault I didn't even get considered because I hadnt taken this stupid quiz you have to take to even get an interview. 

Damn I am an idiot.

So.. we have an Amber Alert eminating from about an hour away from here (Fitchburg, MA). And I agree with the system, but let's put it this way. 

The Amber Alert emergency tone (which is just like the emergency tone on the TV) went off three times before I fell asleep, then it went off again at 4 am, and then again at 6 am, waking me up both times. And let me tell you, waking up to the emergency tone being played at full volume is one fucking awful way to wake up.

The second time, I had just enough wits about me to NOT throw the phone against the nearest wall (it's new), but to shut it off. Unfortunately, now I can't get back to sleep.

FUCK YOU pneumonia. My father-in-law is back in the ICU and we don't know what's going on with him. I don't know if he's been of sound mind since he went to the rehab place but I can't help but wonder if he's reconsidering his decision to fight and live.

Fuck you to the memory-hog Google Chrome. Somehow Firefox is looking efficient by comparison. But Chrome just has to keep tons of private memory while using one tab, and makes it impossible to do logical things like "delete your history/etc before (x)". They will let you delete your stuff from after (x). Because when they keep 90 fucking days of history, it makes sense to make it so you can delete your last 30 days, not the first 60 days. 

Also I got a jury summons over the summer. But they cancelled the session the day before. I was kinda disappointed since I'm a non-employed American and a jury duty session would actually be more profitable than the status quo

Fuck you to Best Buy - I got my wife a remote starter for Christmas, and was kind-of annoyed when it was going to be two weeks before I could get it installed.  Fast forward to Friday, we show up for the installation and are told it'll be $375 instead-of the estimated price of $150.  I roll my eyes and say it's fine because we got such a good deal on the thing on Amazon.  The kid then opens up the starter and says immediately that they "don't know how to install this model" BUT they could sell me an equivalent model (of course!) which they could install.

Why they couldn't have said that TWO WEEKS AGO is beyond me.  Here's the kicker - the equivalent model was the SAME REMOTE STARTER under a different brand.

Anyone want to buy a $15 Best Buy giftcard for $10?  I'm never going back.

not sure who gets the FU for the "38x32" khakis (on the sticker) that were 36x34 (on the tag) at Target. But then again, fitting into 38s was actually a slight longshot so I would have lost either way.

I need to practice my 747 splash in order to become a self-taught fat indy superstar

FUCK YOU, Comcast.

Lock down my OnDemand because my account's past due, I understand that. But I'd hope a pre-arranged payment on the 23rd would suffice. Nope.

But what REALLY fucking tears me is that I apparently got locked in a contract with you until September that I don't know about, or ever remember signing up for, and that I'll get hit with a $90 ETF EVEN IF I ASK TO FUCKING DROP _SHOWTIME_?!

I don't even care that I can't get FiOS in my neighborhood and that DSL is garbage; I'm thinking about taking the $90 on the chin and telling you to get fucked. At this rate I think I'll even settle for fucking CLEAR for my Internet since out here it's either Comcast, Verizon, or nothing. Fuck big telecom and fuck anyone who thinks monopolies for ISPs are any good.

(Edit: and apparently CLEAR is out of the home Internet business. Fabulous. Is AOL still around? How about NetZero? I'm not too good for NetZero!)

not sure who gets the FU for the "38x32" khakis (on the sticker) that were 36x34 (on the tag) at Target. But then again, fitting into 38s was actually a slight longshot so I would have lost either way.

I need to practice my 747 splash in order to become a self-taught fat indy superstar

Wear knee and elbow pads or you'll pay for it later.

Wear knee and elbow pads or you'll pay for it later.

In the immortal words of Baz Luhrmann, ripping off whoever he was quoting:

Take care of your knees.  You'll miss them when they're gone.

And oh how Tabe is familiar with that.