DVDVR Message Board

Atheists are fucking awful. I follow a few on twitter and Gervais, and they're so painfully smug about it it makes me want to go to church or read a bible. Fucking terrible human beings.

Smart money says this is the equivalent to the stereo-typical selfloathing Jewish soliloquy.

EDIT: Knew it.

I don't see how it's racist when everyone from Nolan Ryan to Jon Jones consistently invokes the almighty as the key to their success. It's mocked because it implies that for whatever reason, God had a vendetta against the opponent, who is in all likelihood just as holy.

What bothers me is that belief in science has now developed all the trappings that turned me off from religion. You can't question things now, it's all FACTS, and to even wonder otherwise gets you shouted down. Scientists are now the high priests and divining the message that the unlearned will gobble up.

I'm with FSW. The loudest voices in the atheist camp are smug and condescending, and it gives those of us who just want to chill the fuck out a bad rap. Religious people like my wife can surely relate.

• Like 2

The entire focal point of atheists opening their mouth about religion is to say "no you're completely wrong and not only are you wrong, you're an idiot".

You can change the word atheist to religious people and make the exact same point. So what we are really talking about here are people that are militant in there beliefs and claim moral or intellectual superiority over people with beliefs or ideas that run counter to their own. Yeah, no matter which side you are on, those people suck. And while I was tipped off by the mention of twitter that his target was probably fairly narrow, it still reads like all atheists are bad people. I have never told a christian 'HA HA when you die, God isn't going to be there for you'.  I've been told I'm going to hell many times.

As long as there are religious people out there, who make political arguments and decisions based on their religious beliefs (e.g. gay marriage, abortion etc.), atheists should be allowed to insult and make fun of religious people as much as they goddamn want.

• Like 1

It's not like watching a shitty tv show. It's being aware of the ideological conflicts that shape our culture. To "not look" is culturally irresponsible.

Bullshit. It's people being smug on the internet. Smug dipshit atheists talking shit on twitter shape our culture about as much as juggalos and bronies. 

It's not like watching a shitty tv show. It's being aware of the ideological conflicts that shape our culture. To "not look" is culturally irresponsible.

Bullshit. It's people being smug on the internet. Smug dipshit atheists talking shit on twitter shape our culture about as much as juggalos and bronies. 

I'm not talking about some doofus on the internet. I'm talking about people and publications that are incredibly popular who influence those dipshits. Those dipshits are extensions of more popular dipshits. And the more of them there are the more important it is to pay attention how they're being created. Equating the importance of atheist attitudes in our society to juggalos is not a good comparison.

I'm not talking about some doofus on the internet. I'm talking about people and publications that are incredibly popular who influence those dipshits. Those dipshits are extensions of more popular dipshits. And the more of them there are the more important it is to pay attention how they're being created. Equating the importance of atheist attitudes in our society to juggalos is not a good comparison.

And not paying attention to how groups of people of schools of thought are created is how this country got as ideologically divided as it is now.

When Penn Jilette is one of your most famous US advocates, you're asking for trouble.  (See also Libertarians)

I nominate Robin Ince as the head of Atheism, because I know he'd turn it down.

The problem is the vast majority of atheists do not conglomerate in groups, so they feel as if it's them against the world, when it's not.  Church attendance is at its lowest levels in forever, and shockingly only around 40% of people actually go to church.

I'm an atheist, but not an Atheist.

• Like 2