DVDVR Message Board

TNA Lockdown 2014

I saw some of this show. Seemed like the undercard wasn't too bad. Nothing great but a couple okay matches like the Gunner/Storm brawl.

The title match had a terrible finish. Abyss comes up THROUGH the bottom of the ring and drags Samoa Joe down there with him. Abyss doesn't even wear a mask anymore. It's amazing how shitty this character is. Joseph Park was tolerable.

The Main Event was a spotfest.. I've always said the lethal lockdown is shitty because it's too cluttered. This was no different.

So Dixie lost control of the company. If only that was real...

Bobby Lashley was a nice surprise and his addition to the roster nearly completes my wish of TNA just saying "Fuck it" and bringing in top 2007 WWE acts (Morrison, Carlito, Masters) join TNA along with Anderson and MVP. 2007 was the most profitable year for WWE is the last 10 years. Why not get talent from that period in WWE rather than the late 90's? The guys I mentioned aren't broken down and in most cases have only gotten better.

Mike Tenay gets shit for 'YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS~!", but I think what is equally more retarded is him screaming about someone "HAVING ALL THE POWER IN TNA~!". I am not sure how many times he has said that, but through my random TNA Youtube viewing through the years, it has been a lot. Bully Ray NOT helping Dixie made all the sense in the world as he was a member of Immortal, you know the group that took power from Dixie Carter,  from March 17, 2011April 15, 2012. He was also the head of Aces & Eights, you might remember them as the group that wanted to takeover TNA. Now these two company take overs happened within a span of 3 years. This now begs the question...WHY WOULD DIXIE CARTER CALL BULLY RAY UP AND ASK FOR HIM TO BE HER INSURANCE POLICY? I know its pro-wrestling and all sins have to be forgiven at some point or shit will not move forward- but fuck! Dixie Carter is the 'Sting' of company owners. This is the 3RD TIME in 3 YEARS that Bully Ray has been part, in some form, of getting Carter ousted from her position.

Another thing that bothered me about this was Taz and Tenay acting all shocked. This was THE PERFECT time to go over everything I just mentioned and bringing it all home. I doubt they will do it on Impact.

Both Gail and Madison brought their working boots tonight as did everyone in the six man, X Division match, and the Last Man Standing Match. Overall a good show with some crazy spots in LL that makes me hope TNA sold a good amount of tickets and did a better buyrate compared to what they normally do. Also, Russo has to be booking TNA. Seriously. I've only seen champions booked like shit when he is in charge. Remember Samoa Joe doubting himself and crying in the locker room? Magnus is getting 'Paper Champ' chants and TNA thinks this is GOOD!? This is the same type of thinking (again under Russo) that went into calling Taylor Wilde 'The Upset Queen'. You know? The girl who can't get it done and who always pulls out the fluke victory despite being very good after her craft. She wasn't running the Daniel Bryan WHC 2011 gimmick. She was kicking ass and was built as the number 2 babyface at-the-time.

For those who think that Lethal Lockdown is always about control of the company, it hasn't been:

2013 TNA vs Aces & Eights - no stipulation

2012 Team Garrett vs Team Eric - losing Bischoff leaves TNA

2011 Fortune vs Immortal - no sipulation

2010 Team Hogan vs Team Flair - if Hogan's team loses, he leaves TNA

2009 Team Jarrett vs Team Angle - no stipulation

2008 Team Cage vs Team Tomko - no stipulation

2007 Team Angle vs Team Cage - man who scores the pinfall gets a title shot

2006 Sting's Warriors vs Jarrett's Army - no stipulation

2005 Team Nash vs Team Jarrett - no stipulation

By Lockdown 2012, Dixie Carter had regained control of TNA because Sting beat Hogan at Bound for Glory, so 2010 could be considered the only previous Lethal Lockdown that had ramifications for an authority figure.

Bobby Lashley was a nice surprise and his addition to the roster nearly completes my wish of TNA just saying "Fuck it" and bringing in top 2007 WWE acts (Morrison, Carlito, Masters) join TNA along with Anderson and MVP. 2007 was the most profitable year for WWE is the last 10 years. Why not get talent from that period in WWE rather than the late 90's? The guys I mentioned aren't broken down and in most cases have only gotten better.

Bringing in 50% of the names you mentioned "nearly completes" your wish?  You are easy to please.  Getting to second base probably "nearly completes" your plans to have sex.

For those who think that Lethal Lockdown is always about control of the company, it hasn't been:

2013 TNA vs Aces & Eights - no stipulation

2012 Team Garrett vs Team Eric - losing Bischoff leaves TNA

2011 Fortune vs Immortal - no sipulation

2010 Team Hogan vs Team Flair - if Hogan's team loses, he leaves TNA

2009 Team Jarrett vs Team Angle - no stipulation

2008 Team Cage vs Team Tomko - no stipulation

2007 Team Angle vs Team Cage - man who scores the pinfall gets a title shot

2006 Sting's Warriors vs Jarrett's Army - no stipulation

2005 Team Nash vs Team Jarrett - no stipulation

By Lockdown 2012, Dixie Carter had regained control of TNA because Sting beat Hogan at Bound for Glory, so 2010 could be considered the only previous Lethal Lockdown that had ramifications for an authority figure.

Lethal Lockdown hasn't always been about the control of the company, but the number of company power struggle and 'stroke' angles has had Tenay scream about 'who's in control' on more than one occasion. This is a TNA trope that cannot be denied.

Bringing in 50% of the names you mentioned "nearly completes" your wish?  You are easy to please.  Getting to second base probably "nearly completes" your plans to have sex.

It was a sarcastic statement I made a long time ago in another thread where I said TNA should just bring in top 2007 WWE talent seeing as the company has a complete hard-on to be WWE lite. I feel this is a better alternative than cherry picking guys who no one wants to see. If TNA is going to be WWE lite- why not choose a better workrate period than WWF circa1998 as the majority of those guys are broken down.

Mike Tenay gets shit for 'YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS~!", but I think what is equally more retarded is him screaming about someone "HAVING ALL THE POWER IN TNA~!". I am not sure how many times he has said that, but through my random TNA Youtube viewing through the years, it has been a lot. Bully Ray NOT helping Dixie made all the sense in the world as he was a member of Immortal, you know the group that took power from Dixie Carter,  from March 17, 2011 – April 15, 2012. He was also the head of Aces & Eights, you might remember them as the group that wanted to takeover TNA. Now these two company take overs happened within a span of 3 years. This now begs the question...WHY WOULD DIXIE CARTER CALL BULLY RAY UP AND ASK FOR HIM TO BE HER INSURANCE POLICY? I know its pro-wrestling and all sins have to be forgiven at some point or shit will not move forward- but fuck! Dixie Carter is the 'Sting' of company owners. This is the 3RD TIME in 3 YEARS that Bully Ray has been part, in some form, of getting Carter ousted from her position.

Another thing that bothered me about this was Taz and Tenay acting all shocked. This was THE PERFECT time to go over everything I just mentioned and bringing it all home. I doubt they will do it on Impact.

Both Gail and Madison brought their working boots tonight as did everyone in the six man, X Division match, and the Last Man Standing Match. Overall a good show with some crazy spots in LL that makes me hope TNA sold a good amount of tickets and did a better buyrate compared to what they normally do. Also, Russo has to be booking TNA. Seriously. I've only seen champions booked like shit when he is in charge. Remember Samoa Joe doubting himself and crying in the locker room? Magnus is getting 'Paper Champ' chants and TNA thinks this is GOOD!? This is the same type of thinking (again under Russo) that went into calling Taylor Wilde 'The Upset Queen'. You know? The girl who can't get it done and who always pulls out the fluke victory despite being very good after her craft. She wasn't running the Daniel Bryan WHC 2011 gimmick. She was kicking ass and was built as the number 2 babyface at-the-time.

Actually, now that you mention it, another staple of Vince Russo is re-packaging perfectly  known commodities with new names/gimmicks that are just...dreadful (Hugh Morrus becoming Hugh G. Rection, Booker T senselessly becoming G.I. Bro) and now Jeff Hardy is needlessly becoming Willow.  Definitely has to be Russo.

Fairly enjoyable show. Thought the first half had a lot of perfectly fine stuff. Six man was a fun opener and always cool to see Muta. This was the first time I've seen anything in Samuel Shaw, thought he was good in this one and his latest theme is great. Lashley was a nice actual surprise, didn't expect anything like that at all.  Tigre/Manik was fun, looking forward to Tigre and Sanada sticking around for a little while. Gunner/Storm was a good brawl that took another strong step in putting Gunner over big. Madison/Gail was good stuff with both delivering, glad they got a decent amount of time. Magnus/Joe was ok until the finish and the main event was mostly the usual Lethal Lockdown, interesting enough ending with Bully.

I didn't know what y'all meant by "Willow's debut," so I looked it up. Normally, I would hate myself for going to the trouble of looking up anything related with TNA, but the promo video I found was hilarious in its awfulness. What possessed TNA to let Jeff Hardy go back to his Willow the Wisp gimmick? 

I tuned into the show just as a rapist was attempting suicide and being mocked for it by a babyface.  Nothing else on the show was as weird/absurd as that, but I thought it was a thoroughly TNA show with seven guys missing a dude in a huge shiny mask diving onto them, a senseless run in that helped no one in an otherwise good title match, a ridiculous re-debut of an old talent who has no fan base clamoring for his return all to execute two moves and not have a match, and knockouts and X-Division guys taking dangerous bumps and needless risks in matches that were too short to really mean anything.  Also there was a James Storm match.  Yep.  TNA show.  

• Like 2

I tuned into the show just as a rapist was attempting suicide and being mocked for it by a babyface.  Nothing else on the show was as weird/absurd as that, but I thought it was a thoroughly TNA show with seven guys missing a dude in a huge shiny mask diving onto them, a senseless run in that helped no one in an otherwise good title match, a ridiculous re-debut of an old talent who has no fan base clamoring for his return all to execute two moves and not have a match, and knockouts and X-Division guys taking dangerous bumps and needless risks in matches that were too short to really mean anything.  Also there was a James Storm match.  Yep.  TNA show.  

I didn't watch the show, but this line made me contemplate and challenge my love of professional wrestling. 

• Like 1

I didn't know what y'all meant by "Willow's debut," so I looked it up. Normally, I would hate myself for going to the trouble of looking up anything related with TNA, but the promo video I found was hilarious in its awfulness. What possessed TNA to let Jeff Hardy go back to his Willow the Wisp gimmick? 

Well storyline wise (and bare with me since its TNA here), Dixie is saying Jeff breached his contract when he walked out on TNA so Jeff Hardy was banned from the building. But *winkwink* it's not Jeff Hardy. Jeff doing these high pitched screams and moans through out the match was so friggin funny. The best part of his rediculous look was he was wearing this huge chest and back plate thing. It was so indyriffic.

As for the world title match. It was really good until the whole Abyss thing. Abyss is my least favorite person in wrestling. I loved Joe Park, but Abyss is a channel changer. Magnus could have won in some other screwy way using the "Joe's Rules" thing.The only possible good thing that could come of this is it might lead to an Eric Young main event run which is YEARS overdue. EY confronted Abyss after the match so I'm going to hope that maybe Eric sets his sights on Magnus and the title and he has to go through Abyss for it. THAT might be interesting, but it's TNA so I don't have huge hopes.

I felt depressed after watching the show and was happy after the Muta match. Part of that was due to the X-Men gear on BI, and most of that was due to Muta closing out his U.S. days by trying to put Sanada over as his successor. THANK THE LORD ABOVE they didn't give him a Muta copycat gimmick like they've tried to do before with...someone.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/tna-lockdown-2013.html

Screens -

185604313268483.jpg

71952d313268315.jpg

9a1411313268309.jpg

71952d313268315.jpg

Oh man, had no idea from reading the write-ups that Abyss is just Joseph Park with weapons...that bums me out.  I mean, the Abyss gimmick wasn't good or anything, but I always thought he looked reasonably badass for a Kane rip-off in the mask.  Out of it, he looks like someone that would be hired to do security at a Brad Paisley show.