DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 9 Ibushi vs. Ziggler

Ibushi vs. Ziggler  

90 members have voted

1. 1. I'm running away.

I feel like Dolph Ziggler is the WWE version of Jack Evans at this point. He is physically charismatic but not a great promo, isn't particularly interesting while on offense, and his best trait is being able to take any bump that you could think up with an action figure. 

I also feel like the criticism I levied against Dolph last year's tournament is still valid: He wrestles and works like he thinks he is too cool to be a pro wrestler (and is slightly embarrassed about it) despite his character being all about how much time and effort he puts in and how much better at his craft he is than anyone else. 

Also, it happened during the voting period, so it should totally count: Ibushi was responsible for Gonzalez publicly white knighting what he thought was a person and turned out to be a blow up doll. 

As a face, he's only had a couple of great performances. He's had TONS more as a heel. Part of it is that his best attribute is the bumping, so you kind of WANT to see him get his ass beat, in a sad demented way. I think he's great, but he could be better. I don't have a problem with his offense. I think the criticism of his offense is way over blown. His biggest problem is his character. For one, it's just not going far enough. For two, his promos aren't very good. The only ones where he's passionate enough to make a connection are the ones where he's basically telling the audience "I play a character named Dolph Ziggler who is booked to lose and I want them to book me to win!"

• Like 3

Dolph Ziggler's two most memorable matches were against Alberto Del Rio when he won the World Heavyweight Championship on the post WrestleMania XXIX RAW and lost it to the same wrestler at Payback. Not watched a lot of Kota Ibushi, only match of his I really liked was against Shinsuke Nakamura posted by jaedmc. It was one of the best matches last year.

I really soured on Ziggler this year. This was the year he went Zack Ryder and just stopped giving a shit about everything. Yes he still has some glimpses here and there but Ziggler is a defeated man. So his whininess is very genuine, instead of being a rebel. All the things HHH said about Bryan on RAW really apply to Ziggler. 

His offense is all over the place, his selling is all over the place, and he's just a clusterfuck right now. Hell, I might be so bold as to say he needs to go down to NXT and work Zayn, Neville and Dallas to find his motivation because what he's doing for better or worse isn't working.

Ibushi is a spot monkey, yes. But what he does is so freaking crisp. 

Vote Ibushi.

• Like 1

Ibushi really doesn't have anything besides the Nakamura match. He'll win because of that and the fact that his youtube movez videos are fun to watch for two minutes, but Ziggler was better this year even if he was booked terribly.

Besides the Del Rio matches he also has a couple of great Cesaro matches.

Ibushi really doesn't have anything besides the Nakamura match. He'll win because of that and the fact that his youtube movez videos are fun to watch for two minutes, but Ziggler was better this year even if he was booked terribly.

Besides the Del Rio matches he also has a couple of great Cesaro matches.

This seems more a recommendation simply for voting Del Rio and Cesaro, in that regard.

As a face, he's only had a couple of great performances. He's had TONS more as a heel. Part of it is that his best attribute is the bumping, so you kind of WANT to see him get his ass beat, in a sad demented way. I think he's great, but he could be better. I don't have a problem with his offense. I think the criticism of his offense is way over blown. His biggest problem is his character. For one, it's just not going far enough. For two, his promos aren't very good. The only ones where he's passionate enough to make a connection are the ones where he's basically telling the audience "I play a character named Dolh Ziggler who is booked to lose and I want them to book me to win!"

Do you think he should be in the Ricky Morton role in a face tag team?

This is a tough one. Dolph is awesome however I don't watch much Japanese wrestling but Kota is one of the few Japanese guys who I'm familer with. I like watching him wrestle I do. Dolph is Dolph he is awesome the mans a natural he just has it but I might have to vote Kota.

Dolph's a great bumper, but I'll only vote for him after he figures out some type of credible offense and learns not to be awkward when cutting a fired-up promo. 

• Like 1

Dolph's a great bumper, but I'll only vote for him after he figures out some type of credible offense and learns not to be awkward when cutting a fired-up promo. 

His face off with Batista was soooo much better than his yelly whine thing that the Internet got boners for.

It almost crossed into the realm of being fucking great...I think the problem is that he doesn't understand how to cut a FLASHY BUTT SHAKING ZIGGLER promo yet. The character he portrays perfectly on the entrance ramp hasn't inhabited his delivery. The guy that plays Dolph Ziggler is able to say 'you're a dinosaur, and dinosaurs go extinct' pretty convincingly, but DOLPH ZIGGLER would have said 'you're a dinosaur, and there's no question what made the dinosaurs go extinct- scientists agree that they all got killed by a comet named Dolph Ziggler' or something and then he would have just done turnbuckle crunches for four minutes without breaking eye contact.

• Like 1

When I think of where Dolph is I look back to late 2010/ early 2011. During that time there wasn't a heck of alot going on in the WWE in terms of ring quality. Dolph was a top 5 full timer and I probably watched every single Dolph match.

Today,it doesn't seem like Dolph has grown as a performer nor has creative given him much to work with. Cept the landscape has changed. There's been such an influx of talent annd increase in match quality that Dolph might not even make my top 10.

I do think he's a much better promo than people give him credit for.

I almost wanna abstain because neither one does anything for me.

I mean, I like the Nakamura match a lot, but that's like 90% Nakamura (if not more) to my subjective tastes.

I guess I'd give the nod to Dolph based on the cash-in and the double turn?

Ehhh.... neither one's getting past Goldust.

This is tougher than it should be.

I mean I voted for Dolph without much of  thought but he has regressed terribly in the last few years and it's not all push.  I will give it to the guy for killing himself in stupid gimmick matches v. Damien Sandow, but he really has not seemed inspired in quite some time.  He used to be a guy where if I saw him paired off with another good worker I figured the match would at least be good, now I have to wonder.  There are a lot of guys I would have voted for over him and I really don't think he deserves to get out of the first round.

But then there is Ibushi.  On the one hand the guy had possibly the best match in Japan v. Nakamura, a match that was almost certainly the best match of his career.  But man alive did he ruin a lot of other matches his horrendous selling.  I actually think he might be the worst wrestler in the world when it comes to blowing off "injuries" to go on offense (Naito is right there with him) and that is one of my biggest pet peeves in wrestling.  If I could point to a handful of other Ibushi matches from the last twelve months that I thought were pretty good, I probably would have taken him over Dolph, but it's basically that admitted awesome Nak match plus a bunch of stuff I thought ranged from boring to terrible v. Dolph's Del Rio stuff, and decent matches against a bunch of others. So Dolph has to win for me, even though I don't really want him too.  

• Like 1