DVDVR Message Board

Police Academy Appreciation Thread

Thomas Bugg

MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!!

Seriously, I can't get enough of this cheesy ass series of corny movies. So much great shit, from Captain Harris being a dick, Proctor being a lovable kissass, Hooks being all timid but then growing a set when the going gets tough, Callahan's boobs, Bobcat Goldwaith and Sweetchuck, Tackleberry (RIP) taking full advantage of the 2nd Amendment (he'd fit in well here in the Midwest!), DA BLUE OYSTER~!

What are your favorite moments or quotes from this series?

I loved these movies when I was a kid.  Then again, I loved anything that could keep me entertained with a rousing soundtrack of laughter and gunshots.  I haven't seen them in long years, and frankly I'm not sure if I'd want to revisit them now.  

I watched this series growing up as kid so fond memories. Favourite characters: Harris, Tacklebury, Mahoney, Proctor, Jones, Hightower and Callahan. I've just broken into a big smile thinking about Harris and Proctor posing as window cleaners in Police Academy 6 with the recording of Harris: "Oh please don't let me die. I'll help the homeless, I'll feed the poor, I'll be sooooooo good". Never liked Mauser liked I did Harris.

There has been talk of a new Police Academy movie for at least a decade. In that time David Graff and Bubba Smith have passed so no Hightower or Tackleberry (though you can easily use Tack's kids since he did reproduce in the movies). Lat I heard Guttenberg was trying to get someone interested to finance the damn thing.

James

I have the Blue Oyster Bar theme as one of my ring tones on my phone. I just watched Police Academy over the weekend with the DVD commentary on.

Police Acaedmy 4 might be my favorite of the sequels. I remember back CBS aired it as a Tuesday night movie back in 89, they added all the deleted scenes in (I guess to pad out the running time. They did the same thing with Roger Rabbit) and it actually flushed out more of the story.

Number 5 did have it's moments. I actually saw it in the theater when it came out. Wanted to see six like that, but was all ready pulled after a week. Lets not even talk about seven.

• Like 1

Police Academy 4 is my favorite IN A WALK.

It's the last we have of the Mahoney Era. Also, it marks the return of Captain Harris, who was replaced with Captain Mauser in 2 and 3. The Citizens On Patrol gimmick introduced us to the lovable House. The "Yumma yumma yumma" bit in the van is one of the true iconic moments in film history. It also has some insane guest stars: Sharon Stone, Tony Hawk and David Spade.

Police Academy 5: Miami Beach is great. It's one of my favorites. Don't sleep on Lassard's nephew as a Mahoney replacement. He wrote "DORK" on expert suntanner Harris' bare chest. The hydroplane chase scene at the end of 5 is fantastic and proof Eric Lassard really was the Policeman of the Decade.

• Like 2