DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

MSG 12/21/91

Kato v El Matador: Paul Diamond's karate stance is exactly like Eddie Murphy's in Trading Places. Try to unsee it. Good little 5 minute pro wrestling match between two B+ hands.

Berzerker v Texas Tornado: Both of them are who they are at this point. Kerry wins with a Tornado punch, and the match is too short for them to put over Berzerker's "dump em and win by countout gimmick", which would have been something really ideal to do on house shows since you could have built this guy up without actually jobbing anyone. Any other year in WWF and he would have been working "Title can change by countout" matches with Hogan by the next summer. 

Flair v Hogan. It's already a win-win for both of them, as Hogan gets room service and Flair has half a chance to catch the back end of Ladies' Night at the Radisson Martinique. It was almost like Hogan's match and Flair's match were welded together. Hogan sells nothing for five minutes and righteously pummels Flair all over MSG, leg drop, foot on the ropes, Hogan does the idiot babyface "No, I DID win!" routine and Flair respond by obliterating his leg. Literally all of Flair's offense here is chops, leg work and brass knucks, which Hogan jobs to only to have the officials (including Dave Hebner while Earl is working the match, wink-wink) reverse the decision. Hogan clears house, cue Real American. Clearly these two are being protected for their main event at WrestleMania VIII. So look for that. 

Hacksaw v Barbarian: I'm going to say advance of watching this I think it's going to at least be fun. Barbarian has his full-on Grand Poobah gear tonight, which he chucks at Duggan, only to have Duggan play batting practice with it. So far, so good. To which Vince says "You would think this match would be SERIOUS, no humor at all". That was kind of eerie, actually. Barbarian takes control early and Duggan does five bump-and-feeds faster than you would ever picture Duggan doing five bump and feeds. Nothing else in this match is as fast. Duggan wins with a love-tap clothesline which is made worse by the fact that the referee was so far out of position it looked like Barbie just jobbed for an 8-count to it. Well, it was KINDA fun?

IC Title: Bret v Mountie: He yis the Mountie. Mountie keeps disallowing Bret to enter the ring by threatening with his taser, until Bossman comes out of nowhere, clobbers Mountie from behind and appropriates it. We can be heroes, just for one day. Mountie's moveset is basically kick, choke, punch, elbow. About in that order. Bret's working down to Mountie's level here when Bret should be pushing Mountie up to his. Match just sort of goes on. Mountie actually goes for a pin off of ramming Bret's head in a turnbuckle five times. That was a thing that happened. Bret wins with two backbreakers and a second-rope elbow. Not even close to anything you'd ever see on a Best-Of.

IRS v Bossman: There will be fists, there will be fire, there will be button shirts and slacks. Logic would dictate that Mountie pays Bossman a receipt here to cost him the match. Match is fine as long as it's Bossman on offense and IRS selling. Which ends after Bossman stops to have an exchange with Heenan, who he overhears talking about him. Which, if nothing else, is a spot that never happens. It's not a GREAT idea, it just never happens. It's entirely possible I'm being as extemporaneous about this as possible to have something to talk about during IRS' offensive sequence, including taking the extra time to actually type the word "extemporaneous" . And oh look, it's a chinlock.  But all of it's better than Bossman's attempt at a sleeper and the subsequent escape. There's nothing technically WRONG with how Rotunda is working the match, especially against a guy 100 pounds heavier, but that doesn't make it fun to watch. Bossman comes back with big man offense. IRS counters and dumps him outside and, sure enough, there yis The Mountie with Le Paybaque. Which, beacuse it's The Mountie, fails. Second distraction, IRS socks Bossman with the briefcase for the win. 

Nasty Boys v Rockers: This holds the promise of good things. This is the show closer, so both teams have just been handed a license to steal. Although Heenan hints that the Rockers breakup storyline could possibly override the match. Shawn lips off at a woman at ringside with two Nasty Boy Cabbage Patch Dolls. It's really a shame that she only missed KickStarter by 20 years. Rockers control to start by alternating armwork and hi-flying. Somewhere in there, Vince breaks my brain by using the phrase "call spots" on the air in 1991. Shawn works the heat sequence while Jannetty keeps inadvertently creating double teams. At this point, even if you were the smarkiest of smarky pants, you still wouldn't be able to figure out which one was going to throw the other through a window. Because either it's MAYBE the inadvertent ref distractions aren't so inadvertent or Michaels could just be sick of Jannetty's bumbling, either would have worked. And speaking of bumbling, Shawn "inadvertently" costs his team a win by flipping a small package without looking. Argument afterwards where Shawn apologizes. You could probably make a decent case that this, not the Barber Shop, is the exact moment where HBK was born. 

On the whole outside of Flair-Hogan there's not a lot special going on here. 

Watched Canadian Stampede '97 yesterday, and a few quick observations:

Mankind/HHH is going to give you at least a solid match every time. Great chemistry between those two. They had a fine little opening brawl until a double-DQ that felt like a terrible finish until it ended up that they fought around the arena for two more matches before getting broken up. That was cool.

This might get me kicked off DVDVR, but Chyna was really enjoyable. She played the role of the ringside muscle in general really well, actually, and she did so here as well.

Taka and The Great Sasuke did some cool high spots and was enjoyable.

Taker/Vader started out slow, but I feel like Paul Bearer was the star of this one. First, in the interview he cut with Vader, he was over the top and funny, but at ringside, he was cheating like mad and doing the wimpiest kicks to a downed Undertaker in between bouts of yelling MURDERER at Taker and various insults at the referee (CAN'T YOU COUNT TO THREE DAMMIT COUNT TO THREE). The match really picked up in the last few minutes, and the second rope chokeslam was nice, as was the Tombstone. 

Ten-man tag was a great brawl that barely contained remnants of a regular wrestling match. The Hart Foundation stomping the shit out of Goldust hanging in the corner was awesome. Austin just basically jumping guys down on the floor while the actual match was going on was awesome. Austin destroying Owen's ankle ------> Bret doing the same to Austin except adding on the figure four around the ringpost was great, too. Also, I have to give love to Brian Pillman going for a pin attempt not so much to win, but to taunt Shamrock by grabbing his hand and making him "tap out" while cackling maniacally. It genuinely made me laugh out loud.

By the way, just saw Pillman carry a solid, but green Alex Wright to a solid opener on GAB '95. I am reminded while watching WWEN of a guy that should have had a better career before he passed. 

And now Dave Sullivan just came on TV. Fuck that guy.

So that Flair vs Hogan MSG match totally is the same match I saw at the LA Sports Arena and it's fucking great

That's why they changed the main event of WM 8. Everyone around the country got the same exact match from them.

Speaking of The Mountie from the post on the last page, I seem to remember at least when he first debuted the head ramming thing was billed as "A Canadian Crowd Control Device". I forget when they stopped doing that, but a lot of his moves were supposed to be "official RMCP tactics". I miss little things like that in commentary. If you had a gimmick like that now, Cole would just shit all over it. Regal would probably go out of his way to give it proper terminology though.

So that Flair vs Hogan MSG match totally is the same match I saw at the LA Sports Arena and it's fucking great

That's why they changed the main event of WM 8. Everyone around the country got the same exact match from them.

This is total bullshit, considering they only had like five house show matches and house show matches were always duplicated like that.

Whoever your source is on that should be avoided at all costs buddy

If it was five PPV matches (or even one) prior to WrestleMania, then yes. Point well taken. But they weren't and the NY and LA matches weren't exactly conclusive anyway

There was probably a dozen reasons why Hogan-Flair didn't happen at WM8, but the house show factor isn't one of them. . 

Vlad's the nicest guy you'd want to meet.

I've heard that before. I remember reading a thread someone on THE INTERNET that was about wrestling "superfans" and several people noted that Vlad's incredibly nice.

I think I'm going to prove to have a low threshold for dealing with Benoit stuff. I'm watching Halloween Havoc '89 and even just seeing Nancy with Doom is making me feel kind of uneasy in my stomach.

Same here. I was watching Slamboree '97, and I was pumped as they announced a death match and bring out Meng. Then the Horsemen music plays and I'm all fuck yeah, AA-Meng death match. How did I forget this happened? But Benoit came out with Woman looking very concerning for his safety, so it was "Skip to next match".

I'm pretty sure the reason Flair/Hogan didn't happen at WM8 is because Hogan decide to "retire" for other persuits post WM, and having Hogan go over Flair then leaving wouldn't work that well.  Hence the reason why the Sid fued was kicked into high gear(instead of Sid being the SummerSlam monster for Hogan to slay), Flair was transistioned into a fued with Savage.  Hogan wasn't seen again til a couple months before WM9 to build for the MegaManiacs/Money Inc. match.

• Like 1

I still have GAB '95 going, and Sting/Meng was really fun! The end was great. Meng eats the post and Sting puts him in a Scorpion Deathlock. Schiavone claims it over, but Meng somehow powers out and everyone is shocked. Sting hits a splash...still only gets two. Sting finally puts Meng down with a DDT, but that last few minutes where Sting is just throwing out whatever he can think of to put Tha Monsta away was cool. Sting seemed desperate and Meng seemed utterly world-destroying even in a loss. 

KOTR '93 is one of my favorite PPVs ever because as kids, we bootlegged it by hooking up two VCRs together, renting the tape from Blockbuster, and playing it in one while also recording it on a blank tape in the other. We did this with the Rumble from 1993 too, so I know these two shows like the back of my hand. I'm watching KOTR '93 now - it's comforting like chicken noodle soup on a cold day, and it will help me get this work done that I'm procrastinating on a bit. 

I have an odd love of the Luger/Tatanka draw from this show. I love Hart/Perfect, of course, but Luger/Tatanka might be my second-favorite match of the show over Hart/Bigelow or Michaels/Crush (both awesome). 

Watching World War 3 1995

JOhnny B Badd vs. DDP was pretty freaking great. Badd has had a great two years on pPV. 1994 and 1995, besides a Hony Tonk Man match, he has delivered every time out. 

Big Bubba vs. Jim Duggan is a match for guys who like to see two big dudes punch each other a lot. They mix in some nice clever spots and if you like both of these guys, you will like this match.