DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Watching WrestleMania V, forgot that it opened with Hercules vs. Haku

My life is complete.

Its also funny that Donald Trump has the same hair now as he did in 90.

Originally The Fink announced King Haku as his previous "King Tonga" moniker. It's been dubbed over since the Coliseum Video, but you can still see him getting an earful from most likely Vince in his earpiece once Haku's sedan makes it to the ring.

-J\/\/

- I wasn't watching when Puder was around and don't know what his deal was but god was it fun watching everyone taking turns chopping him.

Puder was an MMA guy who decided to try wrestling. WWF brought back Tough Enough but as a regular recurring segment on Smackdown (kinda like the Diva search or the early NXT seasons). Anyway, The Miz was part of it and the guy they really really wanted to win but Puder shocked everybody by becoming the breakout personality and winner.

For one, Miz was an annoying dick even then. For two, Puder had this famous moment where they had the guys tire themselves out doing squats then Kurt Angle challenged them to a shoot fight. A real shoot fight - no punching, just a grappling/wrestling contest they assumed he'd destroy everyone in. Well, Puder got him in a Kimura and could've broken his wrist but Brisco saw what was happening and told the ref to Montreal Screwjob Puder.

After winning TE, word was Puder basically copped an attitude down in developmental that he was tougher and better than everybody else until he wore out his welcome and got canned. That Rumble spot was just meant to humble/humiliate him.

I've found the best way to use the VOD library so far is as supplemental material for the livestream TV rebroadcasts. So I've been holding off on WCW until the inevitable influx of 80s mothership/Nitro.

I need some kind of direction. Otherwise I catch myself wandering through the buffet indecisive of what to eat first.

• Like 1

Is it too late to add Pat Patterson and Sgt. Slaughter to March Madness.   Because they're on the WWE network right now..  Yes, it's from April, 1981 but it's on my t.v. on Feb. 28..technically it started before March 1...and they are amazing.  I've never seen this before.  It was the setup to their alley brawl.

Goddamn was this match laid out perfectly.  From chickenshit heel stalling, to Patterson driving a huge MSG crowd nuts by slapping Slaughter around and putting him in a Boston Crab.  It was perfect.  Like as soon as Patterson could actually get a hand on Sarge he was kicking his ass.  There was no question who was the better man.  It's what everyone wanted to see and they got a nice long bit of it.   Slaughter's selling is huge and must look so perfect to the live crowd.

But they aren't going to get the final payoff...because Slaughter lucks into Patterson flying through the ropes and hitting the ground hard.  Sarge then beats the shit out of  him every time he tries to get back into the ring and then throws every cheap shot imaginable at himHOLY SHIT DID HE JUST BITE HIM?????HE'S BITING HIM!!!!!

Slaughter's bumps are fantastic early on and then for the turning point he missed a top rope elbow and got caught in a figure four.  The crowd is fucking delirious.

After the leglog Patterson with the babyface brutality using a chair on the leg...he's LEGIT WORKING THE LEBG!!KJ#@#I@)#I@)#@)(Liek a Professional WRESLTR!!!

EYE RAKE!!!!! Slaughter is SELLING THE SHIT OUT OF THE LEGJGLEGLELGLEG To the point that he's leaning on the ref.  The ref is caught between them and they push him away...he flies through the ropes and he's out.  

COBRA CLUTCH!!!! SLaughter kicks the ref.  That was like the fourth time someone assaulted the referee and he finally calls for the double DQ.  Patterson is out of his mind and tries to break Slaughter's leg.  Sarge escapes and Patterson is left being held between the ropes by an exhausted referee.  Sarge is long gone, but Patterson is still reaching out from the ropes like he could touch him.  He's desperate and pathetic and he's lost his chance.  The two of them (Patterson and the ref) are left slumped in opposite corners both spent and miserable while the announcement is made.

Patterson loses his mind at the announcement.  This shit matters!  The fact that it's a double DQ rather than a DQ win.  The crowd is mad.  Not only did Slaughter escape him, but he didn't even get a win out of it.  Patterson is pissed.  He spits at the ref.  He screamsn "Aw BULLSHIT"  Both men left in the ring are failures tonight.  Both had a job to do and neither was able to do it.  They hate each other but it's not really either of their fault.  They're both going to have to look in the mirror tonight and they're both going to resent the face they see.  Slaughter, on the other hand, will sleep well. 

But that's how things go sometimes.

This was perfect.

Starrcade 89.

Booking of this isn't particularly great.

Flair should have kept Luger in the figure four after the time limit expired, planting seeds for his heel turn, and making him look smart that he's letting Muta, who no longer poses a threat in the tournament take the fall over an injured competitor in Luger.

Muta doesn't drop points to all three guys. Luger taps quickly to play cowardly heel/put over the importance of the US title

There's a weird spot during the Wrestlewar 90 opener.

Shane Douglas is the face in peril, and I'm pretty sure Buzz Sawyer fingers his asshole.

I've rewound it a couple of times. I'm really not quite sure, but the sell job by Shane Douglas makes it the only logical move being applied. He's not ripping at his pubes, and I don't think its a squirrel grip.

Just flat out puts his thumb in there. :S

Just got through Bash at the Beach 2000. Not the greatest of shows, but the censoring is hilarious. "Ass" - censored, GODDAMN BULLSHIT - just fine. Hogan and Russo's rants are unedited, which is honestly a bit surprising given all the censorship done to ECW's shows.

I just got a Rick Martel Arrogance promo on the live channel. This Network is indeed like crack. I cannot wait for the WWE to fill in their archives a bit and let the live channel be complete randomness.

Starrcade 89.

I never understood Starrcade 89. I get the end game was put Sting over strong and set up the Flair turn/Horseman reformation - aside: as soon as the Clashes are up, I'm totally going to the one where they turn on Sting (the first time, I mean). Ole's mic work bullying Sting is the greatest heel douchebaggery ever.

But I never got why they just suddenly gave up on Muta and buried him. IIRC, he was undefeated going into the freakin' tournament. I remember him getting face pops because his moves were so cool. Even my NWA hating friends were Muta marks. Did he already give notice he was heading back to Japan or something?

This old ECW episode has Joey Styles wearing the most ridiculously huge headset, a montage of Sandman showing off his wrestling skills, a cocaine fueled Snuka promo, and the promise of a Sullivan Cairo shoot fight.  Amazing.

Just watched the same episode. Also watched the episode before the one you mention. It's so weird to look at the ECW Arena and not see most of the ECW regulars. Hat Guy was there in the first episode and in the second, it looked like the guy who always sat next to Hat Guy was there... minus sunglasses. Also, Joey Styles definitely took some time before he became the Joey Styles we all know and love.

Just got through Bash at the Beach 2000. Not the greatest of shows, but the censoring is hilarious. "Ass" - censored, GODDAMN BULLSHIT - just fine. Hogan and Russo's rants are unedited, which is honestly a bit surprising given all the censorship done to ECW's shows.

Someone else mentioned WCW shows being non-edited and if I had to guess, maybe the people in charge of editing this stuff just assume that WCW was always super family friendly and A-OK but ECW was the renegade, meaning that they're not seeking it on WCW programming but are obviously looking for it with ECW.

Tons and tons of Raw shows are in the replay section now.

Watching the one from Jan 98...Michaels was on fire trolling Taker fans the night after the casket match.

Yes!  "How do you like your Undertaker... regular or WELL DONE??"

Starrcade 89.

Flair should have kept Luger in the figure four after the time limit expired, planting seeds for his heel turn, and making him look smart that he's letting Muta, who no longer poses a threat in the tournament take the fall over an injured competitor in Luger.

Muta doesn't drop points to all three guys. Luger taps quickly to play cowardly heel/put over the importance of the US title

Gary Hart explained it in his book. He said Flair wanted to have Muta lose matches while Hart wanted to push him as a heel undefeatable rival of Sting. Hart sarcastically said that Muta just ought to lose all of his matches in the booking meeting and Flair went with it.

Continuing through WWE's list of Top 15 PPVs...

Finished Heatwave 98, and I haven't seen Francine lately, but I'd like to see who has held up worse over the years Francine or this show.  The first half was actually pretty good when they were doing mostly straight wrestling matches, but it really seemed after Awesome Tanaka ended there was more bullshit than actual wrestling.  The RVD/Sabu v. Hayabusa/Shiozaki was basically everything you would expect from these four guys in a good way and a bad way.  There were some really great looking spots, and a lot of being reckless with their opponent's bodies.  There was a spot where RVD basically landed tailbone first on the head of Shiozaki.  They botched 3-4 others, and it really looked like they were trying to end each other's careers in the most acrobatic way possible, without telling any type of story at all. 

Taz v. Bigelow was a pretty fun brawl, but there was really nothing holding the spots together.  The first move of the match was a powerbomb, that was no sold.  It basically was two guys taking turns hitting each other with moves that should finish a match until they fall through the ramp. 

The main event was The Dudley's v. Dreamer/Sandman/LSD.  Bubba powerbombed Spike about 32 times, the referee tied a guy to the tree of woe and dropkicked a chair into his face, and New Jack came out and tried to kill everyone. 

Best match:  Awesome v. Tanaka, it was brutal, reckless, and hard to watch, but it was pretty damn good.

I'm a little sad Raw episode 1 seems to have disappeared already

Well that is sad. Maybe they took it down to just add those marking points to it? I was kinda hoping (dreaming) they weren't gonna take anything down and eventually reach the point where the whole library is uploaded.