DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

So I've been watching a lot of Hulkamania-era WWF (Mania 1-9) and I gotta say, it might be one of the most fun era's in WWE history.  I'd definitaly put it above Attitude Era.  While both era's had everyone up and down the card doing something and developing, the Hulkamania era had the Titles basically as the focal point of fueds instead of props that happened to be there, and stuff was just structured better.

The titles seemed to have increased importance after Russo left. I mean, you had Edge and Christian, the Hardy Boyz, and Dudley Boyz all feuding over the tag titles for most of the year, as well as Jericho/Benoit/Angle feuding over the EuroContinental title for a lot of the year. I'm sure the belts benefited from having really talented guys chasing them, but they were definitely booked more importantly than they were in 1999.

Backlash 05 is a much better show than I remember it being. 

Right now, watching the live feed of the "Vince Buys WCW" Raw, which was also the go-home for WM17. For once, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Limp Bizkit. After watching this, X7 is next. Really, any TV watched that's a go-home for a PPV that's been my go-to so far. 

I watched the latest Top 10 - Top 10 Entrances this evening. Can't really quibble with the choices although in my heart I wanted The Brood to sneak into the top 10 somehow. Found it funny they spent a good portion of the Goldberg segment talking about the people who parodied his entrance and how he was a big baby about it.

And, wow, Magnum TA and Lanny Poffo show up! I know a lot of the interviews are re-purposed footage from old DVD releases but I don't remember seeing either one of those guys on WWE tv before.

I also watched the Bret-Shawn rivalry special. I'd seen it before awhile back - it's been on Netflix a long time - but it still holds up as their best release ever IMO. Now that they have a Network, I wish they'd do more of these shoot interviews with two guys who had a beef. I'd love to see a Bischoff-Flair or a Vince-Hogan one on one.

Watching wcw ppvs from ths beginning, they bled waaaay too often back then

Man you are never getting a membership to the Pro wrestling only message board with that attitude  ;)

I mean don't get me wrong, its not necessarily a bad thing, but almost every match

The amount of juice on the 80's Starrcades, especially I think 1985, is just absurd. I think damn near every match from that show had someone or BOTH guys bleeding. I can't imagine how people who only started watching recently are going to react when they stumble upon that show on the Network, it's going to blow their minds.

I will say this. If the finish for Flair-Rhodes at Starrcade 84 was built around Dusty having a busted eye, no one else should have bled that night, period.

Agreed, but I do wonder how much was blading, or the hardway, although with probably all the blading did, the scar tissue probably busted open easily

The amount of juice on the 80's Starrcades, especially I think 1985, is just absurd. I think damn near every match from that show had someone or BOTH guys bleeding. I can't imagine how people who only started watching recently are going to react when they stumble upon that show on the Network, it's going to blow their minds.

It was a combination of two things those first few years. One was bringing in matches that were main event territory matches and putting them third or fourth on Starcade, but they still worked their main event match, including juice. The other was that JCP did almost too good a job building up their angles for that show. So you also had 3-4 of those matches per show that could justifiably include blood. 

I keep harping on this one point, but I almost don't want to watch those Starcades until Network drops the Mid-Atlantic/TBS Mothership TV from that time period. 

That cage was SO damn tiny. That doorway couldn't  have been fun for Andre or Kamala. And those who spent their careers emulating Dyno and Benoit really miss the spark that Dyno shows here.

I watched the latest Top 10 - Top 10 Entrances this evening. Can't really quibble with the choices although in my heart I wanted The Brood to sneak into the top 10 somehow. Found it funny they spent a good portion of the Goldberg segment talking about the people who parodied his entrance and how he was a big baby about it.

And, wow, Magnum TA and Lanny Poffo show up! I know a lot of the interviews are re-purposed footage from old DVD releases but I don't remember seeing either one of those guys on WWE tv before.

1- i actually texted my buddy (who shares a Network sub with me) that just said "Gillberg!"

2- Magnum was on the Mid-South dvd, but i did a double take at Lanny Poffo. Macho Man next year for HoF.

I will say this. If the finish for Flair-Rhodes at Starrcade 84 was built around Dusty having a busted eye, no one else should have bled that night, period.

Joe Frazier didn't ref the other matches. The point was Frazier didn't know how to properly ref regarding cuts in a wrestling match. It was a shitty idea and a shitty finish, but that's what they were going for.

I watched the Wrestlemania Rewind on the Hogan/Mr. T vs. Piper/Orndorf WM 1 main event. I don't think I've seen the whole match (including introductions) in a really long time. Compared to WM's now, the set up they had for the first one was so simple and scaled down. Even watching the match right now there was a buzz and excitement that no matter how hard they have tried they just can't duplicate.

This is mainly due to the fact there is no one in the WWE who can get legit hate from people like Roddy Piper. There might be someone, but the WWE would never take the handcuffs off anyone and let them rile up the crowd to the point of a near riot.

One thing I noticed about the match was Ali was REALLY into it. He was even on the ring apron a bunch of times. I'm pretty sure at one point Hogan of all people had to go over and be like "BRAH WE NEED YOU ON THE FLOOR DUDE".

Mr. T was gassed by the end, but man I don't think we will ever see a celeb get involved in a match like him (actual wrestling wise) ever again. The only one who even comes close is Maria Menounos and that's saying alot.

• Like 1

I mentioned him before, but I have a friend who never watched any WCW at all. Ever. Or ECW. Just WWF/E. He had no idea who The Great Muta, Barry Windham (though he does vaguely remember the Blackjacks), Terry Gordy, Stan Hansen, etc were. I got him to agree to watch something, and I chose Superbrawl 93 (Windham vs Muta, Vader vs Sting strap match). He regrets his childhood choices now.

In college, I got that awesome old Best Of Starrcade two vhs set, and made my roommate feel the same way. I remember him at one point just saying "how the fuck did WWF win?"

That cage was SO damn tiny. That doorway couldn't  have been fun for Andre or Kamala.

I love how the commentators say that you'll get sliced to ribbons if you try to climb over the top because it has sharp spikes around it, which sounds like ridiculous carny nonsense and a silly thing to put in a match when you may well need to climb out. And then the cameraman obliges with a nice close up to show that, thanks to the wire being cut higher than the top of the cage, it is indeed ringed with these evil little barbs up there.

Not that Andre or Kamala would've done anything except utterly obliterate the thing if they'd tried climbing up on top there.

It is weird because my memory is completely different but these 1993 RAW shows have really good action.   Granted it is surrounded by terrible gimmicks and awful commentary but some really good matches and angles in that first year.