DVDVR Message Board

Best musician/band that is no one's favorite musician/band

Greggulator

Beck was my 13 year old gateway into basically every kind of music I listen to now, 20 years later. I don't know if he's my current favorite musician, but he probably spent a larger portion of my life being that than other band/musician.

And out of several hundred shows I've seen, his Midnight Vultures tour that I saw in 2000 still might be my favorite live show ever. 

if we're picking a rap artist, i nominate Ice Cube. his classic stuff is exactly that, and his more recent stuff is still very good. that being said, it's not winning awards or selling record-breaking amounts of albums or anything. But i don't know anybody that considers him their "favorite".

for a more rock answer, i submit Jet. their debut album is sublime, but i never hear them brought up as being in that caliber. Hell, they only had 3 albums, but they're all awesome. i habitually tout them as underappreciated.

if we're picking a rap artist, i nominate Ice Cube. his classic stuff is exactly that, and his more recent stuff is still very good. that being said, it's not winning awards or selling record-breaking amounts of albums or anything. But i don't know anybody that considers him their "favorite".

You don't know any 40+ year old black dudes do you?  I imagine he is probably the favorite rapper of just about every 40+ year old West Coast Rap fan.  As a rapper, Ice Cube is still probably the best West Coast Rapper ever.  What West Coast Rapper had a better run than "Straight Outta Compton," he wrote all of his rhymes, as well as Eazy and Dre's, "Amerikkka's Most Wanted," and "Death Certificate?" 

• Like 1

oh, i totally agree. its just that any time i hear him brought up its more like "yeah he used to be good"

asking who the greatest rapper is always gets answers of 2pac, Biggie, JayZ, Eminem, etc., but i never hear anyone bring up Cube.

I think this conversation needs to take into consideration whether or not someone was legit the best in the world at one point.  LL Cool J seems like a joke to a generation or two, but he was legit the best rapper alive at one point, and the rap fans who were 15 at the time are probably still huge LL Cool J fans.  I think the answer to the question of who is the best musician/band that is no one's favorite can't be someone who is legitimately great.

Yeah, it has to be someone GOOD but not someone who had a bunch of amazing material that everyone knew was amazing.

That's why Beck was my wife's first selection. He's done SO many good things and people forget that. But is he really underrated? Everyone knows who he is and knows he has a lot of very good (and sometimes great) material. But for someone as famous as he is, he doesn't have anything that's regarded as a Top 5 album by either mainstream or indie critics. And he's in both those groups -- he went from Loser to Odelay (probably his best work, IMO) and then into a long string of solid output that you could hear on better radio stations and/or Sirius but didn't really have the impact his early stuff did.

I think the reasons are this: He didn't come up with a cult following before he broke out, like Dinosaur Jr. His stuff's a really great pastiche of a lot of material, but it doesn't really fit into hip-hop or traditional rock. I think he's better than The Beastie Boys but the Beasties sort of own that genre since they pioneered it and had lasting power. And then Beck made a lot of really solid stuff after his MTV days were over but since he never went away, no one gets hyped when he comes back -- unlike Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., etc.

Another bands I will toss out there: Belly, Juliana Hatfield and Elastica. They were really great girl-fronted rock groups (or musician) that had a lot of really good material. But their output was really limited, so they never expanded past a cult/120 Minutes type of audience. They also didn't have the feminist, outspoken edge of the riot grrrl stuff like Bikini Kill or Sleater Kinney. Stylistically, they're probably a lot more like That Dog. But That Dog never broke through with a radio song, so they have a cult audience of people who always wanted them to be the next big thing.

I want to say the answer is probably Heart or the Police. Perhaps the Rolling Stones?

Oh no way. I know tons of people whose favorite bands are either The Stones or Police and I know at least two people who would say Heart is their fav.

Music is the area I tend to know the least about, so I gladly concede to your knowledge. . . 

Stones are still literally the biggest touring act in music. There are millions of people that would put then #1.

I know they have a ton of fans, I didn't know how much of a cross-over there is between say Beatle and Stones fans or similar era bands.  Stones in top five or top three? I just thought it might be fading a bit. How about CCR?

Hm... CCR and Stones are both likely top ten for me, personally.

What about The Animals? All time great band, but it seems likely that everybody that loves 60's British blues based rock bands would have the Stones above them.

The problem is that by the time the band has grown to the point where everyone has at least heard of them, they've probably picked up several diehard fans. 

I think the truest thing to a correct answer I've seen in this thread so far by a longshot is Reckless Heart. No one's gonna give a crap about Reckless Heart studio outtakes. No one's gonna get in a car and go six hours to see them at the Podunk County Fair. They'd go see them in their hometown if they were playing the big Fourth of July Fireworks Shoot-Off and BBQ Fest (which they probably are). And then they'd forget they exist until they pop up as an oldie on their country station.

• Like 1

Kenny Loggins cousin Dave Loggins. Has some great tunes, the theme song for the Augusta tour, etc. Probably marginally  better than Kenny but no ones favorite.

You just inspired me to victory...less famous brother, actually secretly good, no one, unless you count himself, would claim that he is their favorite musician.

Frank Stallone

How about the Moody Blues or Chicago? Not saying they don't have fans, but I'm not sure they would be number one on many people's lists. 

Sadly, I work with a guy who would call Chicago his favorite ever band.

And I have known people far too into the Moody Blues.

But yeah, something like Reckless Heart or the Outfield or the Hooters or Foghat - or more recent, something like Candlebox - would probably be the most apt way to go.