DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

Hogan turned heel and his merch sold even more.

Because he was dead in the water as a babyface.

Hey, maybe Punk COULD have been John Cena. I have my doubts about that but he sure as hell wasn't Brock Lesnar who had just been selling millions of PPVs for the UFC. The Lesnar thing hasn't really paid off like they imagined but you can see the reasoning behind why they would give Brock whatever he wanted.

Yeah, but:

"Hey, can I have this thing?"

"No, because reasons."

"Fair enough."

*other guy gets that thing*

"Seriously?"

Clearly, Brock has a better negotiator than Punk had at the time.

Maybe Punk should taken it up with his management. :mellow:

Vince is probably on the phone right now trying to get Punk to come in and do a worked shoot based on this.

"Hey Punk, a-ha, Buddy, Vince here, remember how I owe Ya? Well remember how you left until your contract expired?"

"You fired me, on my wedding day"

"We fired you? Well, ha ha buddy, I guess that day wasn't all that bad, how's the wife?"

"Uh, she still works for you"

"Oh, well, we got an idea. CM Punk, the new authority."

"No"

"Here's how it works, you run the shows and you're an evil boss"

"No"

"It's fucking brilliant, Punk. You'll be the evil boss and Daniel Bryan will be the good boss"

"No"

"You won't have to work matches"

"Your doctor misdiagnosed my MRSA"

"Yeah, he didn't do a good job with the Warrior either. Anyways Punk, can we expect you back on Monday night?"

"No"

"No?"

"Yes"

"Cya there!"

"Damnit!"

Punk and Bryan doing a retread of the co-GM angle seems like it would be oddly entertaining

I lived through it. Were they as popular as the original black/white? No. But they were selling a lot of them. Even so, the original nWo black/white isn't going to be nearly as popular without Hogan's involvement anyway so this whole argument is odd to begin with.

I'll give you another example. Stone Cold in 2001. He turns heel and his t-shirt sales are still through the roof. Obviously they did a poor job in the later months with his whole run but he didn't suddenly stop pushing merch.

Uh-oh.  We're about to go down one of those patent "who/what merchandise sold more in this year" rabbit holes, which are always fun since few can really site anything other than what they saw and/or remember.

I'm not going down this hole without my 1997 wrestling almanac in my fanny pack.

Also, it's like I said.. it might be shitty for Punk that he couldn't have sponsored tights but he was not in the same position as Brock Lesnar to be making those demands.

Yeah.

Edited by _MJ_

Punk did have some legit grievances, but I feel like giving him the main event spot really went to his head. Dude was hot, did get mainstream popularity, but probably sees himself on the same level as Hogan or Austin.

Whatever you think about Punk's opinion of himself:

1) Staph infection story.

2) Doing the firing on his wedding day.

trump everything else pretty clearly.

I thought the comment about Jericho was a bit dickish in terms of certainty. If he said, "well I haven't tended to talk to people where I'm not sure about their agenda" then that would be fine but being so sure of who is on the up and up is a bit much - especially when he talks to Heyman who is quite happy to mention that on podcasts. 

Great listen, Punk really sounded like everyone who has ever been in a job they hated.

Ironically, maybe he SHOULD have went to TNA when he left or took random indie dates and worked a lighter schedule instead of coming back, because it seems like his final run has killed any hope of seeing him wrestle again.

He does a spot on Triple H impression.

Anyone sent a question yet? Can we ask him who has the best punches, Chris Masters or Mark Henry?

I was also a bit shocked at the claim that WWE lets guys work off their strikes or whatever Punk claimed. You'd think that'd be a major PR blow for them if that got out into the mainstream.

If that means working off a recent strike without suspension, that pretty much undermines a program. If it means that 3 strikes won't include a strike from like 5 years ago, well. That'd be a bit different.

There have been more bullshit drug testing programs in wrestling than legit ones.

I really don't understand how being fired from a job that you'd essentially quit a few months earlier would be insulting.

I'm not taking WWE's side, but it makes no sense.

I think it had more to do with the fact that on a day that should have been the greatest of Punk's life, WWE decided to do a dick move just to do it. 

I really don't understand how being fired from a job that you'd essentially quit a few months earlier would be insulting.

I'm not taking WWE's side, but it makes no sense.

I think it had more to do with the fact that on a day that should have been the greatest of Punk's life, WWE decided to do a dick move just to do it.

And if he was as over it he should've just laughed and continued on about the greatest day in his life.

• Like 1