DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

I hope Colt gets hits out of it. All the shows copying his model and being a success probably fucks with his numbers a bit. I've been listening since day one and love his shit.

This probably kills him becoming a commentary guy but who knows how that was going anyway

• Like 3

Vince is probably on the phone right now trying to get Punk to come in and do a worked shoot based on this.

"Hey Punk, a-ha, Buddy, Vince here, remember how I owe Ya? Well remember how you left until your contract expired?"

"You fired me, on my wedding day"

"We fired you? Well, ha ha buddy, I guess that day wasn't all that bad, how's the wife?"

"Uh, she still works for you"

"Oh, well, we got an idea. CM Punk, the new authority."

"No"

"Here's how it works, you run the shows and you're an evil boss"

"No"

"It's fucking brilliant, Punk. You'll be the evil boss and Daniel Bryan will be the good boss"

"No"

"You won't have to work matches"

"Your doctor misdiagnosed my MRSA"

"Yeah, he didn't do a good job with the Warrior either. Anyways Punk, can we expect you back on Monday night?"

"No"

"No?"

"Yes"

"Cya there!"

"Damnit!"

• Like 5

Didn't the WWE want Punk to lose to HHH at Wrestlemania because his contract was about to expire and you always job out on the way out the door? If he had re-signed, I'd say the finish would've been changed.

I'd say anytime he wanted to go back, he could get whatever he wanted like a Lesnar-esque part-time contract. Wrestling, especially at the WWE level, is first and foremost a business, and there's money to be made there.

I always thought this guy's main issues were rooted in not getting the same perks/benefits/paydays as the Rock/Brock/Triple-H/Cena/Taker type of guys.  I thought my indifference toward him may be clouding my judgement but coming from him, you definitely see it's there.  I honestly think he would still be there and cool with most things in WWE, if he had gotten the same type of treatment(he would probably say "respect") as those guys.

I'm not a big fan of Punk at all so I don't see him at the Rock/Austin/Taker/or even Cena level of wrestling relevance, but he does (or did), and when you have that type of mentality, you're not going to be satisfied being behind those guys in terms of perks/payment especially if they aren't around as often.  POV is everything.

To be clear, I'm not Team WWE or rooting for them in this matter.  He obviously brings up legitimate issues with WWE's fraudulent medical healthcare and doctors, the independent contractor bullshit (people have been say this for years), and all the stuff about WWE withholding his money. 

I actually thought his line about being embracing his bitterness was a great line and a nice change of pace from what you normally hear from most people who feel wronged.  I would wear a "Embrace Bitterness" t-shirt. 

I've always been indifferent toward his return, so if he's happy where he is at, then even more reason for it not to happen. 

Edited by _MJ_

Hogan turned heel and his merch sold even more. Hey, maybe Punk COULD have been John Cena. I have my doubts about that but he sure as hell wasn't Brock Lesnar who had just been selling millions of PPVs for the UFC. The Lesnar thing hasn't really paid off like they imagined but you can see the reasoning behind why they would give Brock whatever he wanted.

The Lesnar thing hasn't really paid off like they imagined but you can see the reasoning behind why they would give Brock whatever he wanted.

Mainstream credibility?  AKA the same reason Vince has tossed millions into a hole in the ground backrolling the XFL, WWE Films, his bodybuilding federation, Linda's senate campaign, etc.

I've never had any desire to listen to a wrestling podcast, but this sounds like it's worthwhile.

I think Brock basically said I'm not signing if you don't give me this so they caved. I'm sure if Punk had said I'm not signing back after the pipe bomb if you don't give me the Wrestlemania ME and sponsorships they would have thought about it and maybe caved. I think Punk was either naive or would like us to think he was naive about how things would go after resigning.

I don't think it was mainstream credibility necessarily. I think Vince truly thought that Brock would sell PPVs in a big way and he did have some impact but not enough to justify what they gave him. I blame creative and again..that's also Vince's fault. So Vince was in the wrong but I don't see it comparable to XFL. I think it was strictly a pro wrestling signing.

Absolutely amazing listen.  I loved how you can tell Punk tries to take the high road initially but the more he goes on, the angrier he gets, to the point that every other word is "fucking" this and "fucking" that. 

I'm under the impression the Jericho dig was based off a remark Jericho made a few months ago on his podcast where he talked about trying to text Punk and got ignored so he assumed that Punk didn't talk to WWE guys anymore.

Hogan turned heel and his merch sold even more.

Because he was dead in the water as a babyface.

Hey, maybe Punk COULD have been John Cena. I have my doubts about that but he sure as hell wasn't Brock Lesnar who had just been selling millions of PPVs for the UFC. The Lesnar thing hasn't really paid off like they imagined but you can see the reasoning behind why they would give Brock whatever he wanted.

Yeah, but:

"Hey, can I have this thing?"

"No, because reasons."

"Fair enough."

*other guy gets that thing*

"Seriously?"

• Like 2