DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

Anyone else been listening to Serial?

Anyway, I'm pretty much at the point where I think that while Adnan had a terrible lawyer and the case against him was weak, he probably did do it after all. I mean, really, you'd just have to believe Jay was not only flat out lying, but that Adnan was the victim of some crazy coincidences and staggering bad luck and misfortune. It's just too much of a stretch. He had to have done it.

Which is probably not good since I'm fairly sure all this renewed interest in the case means his verdict will get overturned and he'll be released. 

• Like 1

I've been listening since day one. I'm not convinced Adnan is innocent, but holy shit is that an insane case.

A neurotic, narcissistic investigator. Inter-racial teen romance. Constant drug taking and sex. Secret diary entries. A morally ambiguous jailed man who may or may not be a charming sociopath. Even the seemingly random guy who found the body had a shady past. Also, pretty sure Sarah is infatuated with Adnan.

It's a better TV show than most TV shows.

Like I said though, it's likely headed for an anti-climax, with Sarah concluding Adnan probably did do it after all but she'll never prove it conclusively. I mean, anyone expecting Mr S. or Stephanie to randomly confess, like I've heard people speculate, is deluded. The real world doesn't work that way. And it was 15 years ago so any decent evidence is probably long gone.

Personally, I think the big dark "secret" is that Jay played far more of a role in the murder than he let on. That's why his testimony is so inconsistent in places. And Adnan can't out him because then he'd be outing himself and losing any shot of ever getting released.

Gilbert Gottfried was on The Nerdist today and it was fucking HILARIOUS. And it turned me on to Gilbert's podcast, The Amazing Colossal Podcast. I just started listening to the one will Billy West and I'm in tears laughing so fucking hard.

The guest list on Gilbert's pod is amazing: adam west, barbar feldon, larry storch, roger corman, ...

That is a VERY good theory.

I just don't buy his story that this guy he isn't even that close with shows up with a body in his trunk one day and his first reaction was to help to because the guy knows he deals pot and could get him into trouble. Yeah, only a complete moron is going to think the cops will care about some pot dealing when a frigging murder has occured. Adnan apparently threatening Jay's girlfriend feels a bit tacked on too. (Jay is apparently a big guy and could have knocked him out the spot THEN called 911).

I think he helped either because he was there for the murder or Adnan paid him. But you can't tell a judge that because then you'll almost certainly get serious prison time. So instead he went with a flimsy story where Adnan springs this on him and he helps cover up a homicide because he simply doesn't know any better.

I am listening to the Nerdist podcast that had Gilbert on it and my god, I've been dying laughing for this entire thing. I'm sad because I think they're going to start wrapping up, but holy shit, Gilbert is by far the funniest guest Hardwick has had. So amazing. Gilbert Gottfried is one of the funniest people alive.

One thing that always puzzled me about Adnan was how a guy that's obviously not stupid could have made so many mistakes, i.e. not having an alibi. But you know, I actually think he did plan to pull off the perfect murder...just things went wrong.

I think he actually DID talk to Asia in the library. That was his alibi. Contrary to popular opinion, he killed Hae in the library parking lot soon after (OK, it would have been crowded and with people around, but it's not impossible, particularly if he picked the right moment.) Jay may have been on the lookout. Adnan could have potentially gotten away with it...

But two things fucked it up: Jay flipped and Asia's memory ended up being fuzzy so while she thought she saw him, she wasn't sure. (It was weeks later when the body was found and Adnan didn't count of her memories being less than 100%).

Jay then talked, but minimized his involvement and changed aspects of the story, for example where she died. At which point, Adnan knows he can't say "I didn't kill her at Best Buy, I did it at the school" or really refute anything Jay says. So he says he can't remember anything about that day to avoid getting caught in a lie.

This whole thing actually makes a ton of sense when you consider that one guy is telling lies mixed in with the truth and the other guy can't call him out without outing his own guilt. 

The deeper the story get, the more I'm leaning towards Adnan doing it.  He's the only one with any real motive.  Jay might be sketchy as hell, but nothing points as a motive for him to do it.  I'd imagine that Adnan was probably pretty traumatized when he killed Hae and has convinced himself that he didn't do it.  His lack of alibi really hurts him.

That diary entry Hae wrote when he started talking about religion and scary stuff about how he'd given everything up for her and was going to hell does make him sound really bad.

I mean, he can try and dismiss it as just mouthing off, but that she actually went and wrote it down...it had to have had an unnerving impact on her.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, the latest "Doug Loves Movies" Hannukah special "8 Crazy Guests" featuring "Mark Wahlberg", "Andrew Llyod Webber", "Steven Seagal", "Gary Marshall", " Jesse Ventura", "Werner Herzog", "Vic Garcia", and "Gary Busey" is fucking hilarious . I'm fucking crying I'm laughing so hard.

I'm seconding the love for Gilbert Gottfrieds' podcast.  I have listened to his interview with Billy West at least times.  Between Wests' Larry Fine and Don Knotts(NO MORE MATLOCK...NO MORE ME!!!) impressions, I got two headaches from laughing so loud. 

If you are a fan of Gilbert and old time pop culture references(I mean REAL old),  you should definitely subscribe.

I think Koenig cleared up the Hae Min Lee case as best she could on the serial finale. Adnan should go free on account of reasonable doubt, but that's not saying he's innocent.

I did like the bit where the lawyer went through how much bad luck and crazy coincidences would have had to happen for Adnan to be as innocent as he claimed, since it's pretty much been my feelings on it.

I hope Koenig investigates Biggie and Tupac next.

I think Koenig cleared up the Hae Min Lee case as best she could on the serial finale. Adnan should go free on account of reasonable doubt, but that's not saying he's innocent.

I did like the bit where the lawyer went through how much bad luck and crazy coincidences would have had to happen for Adnan to be as innocent as he claimed, since it's pretty much been my feelings on it.

I hope Koenig investigates Biggie and Tupac next.

*JAY STILL KNEW WHERE THE CAR WAS...HOW?*

Answer me, REED. Someone answer me.

• 3 weeks later...