DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

I use Downcast for my podcast needs, and it does a good job gathering stuff around. I don't know if I should bother trying to get podcasts onto my laptop or just listen to them on my phone at home, but what PC podcatchers are good out there?

(EDIT: I do enjoy listening to NPR. I guess it's part of that left-leaning thing. So NPR shows are fair game too.)

OH!  One I keep forgetting to mention, which is sadly pretty irregular these days but has a nice backlog, is "Talkin' Toons" with Rob Paulsen. It started off as just Rob (voice of, among others, Yakko and Pinky on Animaniacs, Raph on 80s TMNT, Donnie on Nick TMNT, etc.) talking about his own career, giving advice for people who want to get into voiceover, etc. but the show really took off once he started having his buddies on. Twitter questions tend to devolve into fans asking for improv bits in famous characters, but anyone who loves cartoons and video games (as all right-thinking people do, of course) will find plenty to enjoy.  Highlights include the two hour Mark Hamill interview from 5/4/12, anytime Maurice LeMarche or Billy West is on, anytime he gets a big cast group (like the Turtles, the Warners, etc.) on, and David Kaye as Megatron having a VERY creepy chat with Yakko.  Oh, and Steve Blum telling this amazing story about being at a con and having this enormous dude come up and hug him because of the positive effect Blum's Digimon character had had on the guy's autistic son.

Please, God, let episode #100 be Frank Welker.

WHAT I'VE LISTENED TO SO FAR:

-Steve Austin Show is as good as everyone says.  I listened to part one of the DDP interview today.  I could listen to Page telling stories all day, he just has this charisma that engulfs anyone who listens.  No wonder his yoga system is so successful.

-Wits is funny.  Caught myself chuckling a few times at the Michael Ian Black episode.  Will probably listen to the Patton Oswalt one tomorrow and laugh my ass off.

-Nerd Poker is godly.

-Loving the Bugle.

I'll probably do some listening over the weekend, 'cause I want to dive into the Talkin' Toons and Greg Proops podcasts sooooooo bad.

If you like How Did This Get Made, I'd definitely give The Flop House a spin.

Also, doy, By The Way With Jeff Garlin is spectacular. He gets insanely great guests - Will Ferrell, Larry David, people like that - and it's a lot of fun. 

I also like You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes even though the kid bugs the crap out of me. I honestly feel the exact same way about WTF but Maron's a much better interviewer than Pete Holmes.

And yes, SCSA's show is awesome. A few less ads would be great - it's counterproductive for my flagpole raising to hear The Rattlesnake yapping about it - and the producer kid he has (Mac?) is less than ideal but he's a great radio host.

I'd say my top non-wrestling podcasts I'd recommend to people are Thrilling Adventure Hour and Nerd Poker.

I've also been listening to Maron, Nerdist, You Made It Weird, Mission Log, Sklar Bros.  I tend to fall in and out of Paulsen's podcast as sometimes he'll have someone from a show I'm not really familiar with so it sort of falls by the wayside.  Shit, if he's had Clancy on I've got to catch up with that.

Listened to the Steve Blum and June Foray episodes of Talkin' Toons. Just amazing stuff, especially Blum talking about his journey to prominence. My wish list of people for this show is Frank Welker and Albert Brooks, if he hasn't been on already.

If you're ever at a con where Rob is signing, do yourself a favor and go say hey. He's maybe the kindest and most friendly celeb I've met at one, his auto fees go entirely to charity and if there isn't a line he'll talk to you a good fifteen to twenty min.

My favorite non-Colt or WTF podcasts:1) THE BEST SHOW ON WFMU. It's not really a podcast but you can listen to it as a podcast. It's a long-running radio show on WFMU (91.1) in New Jersey, aka the best radio station in the world. It's a comedy show that is #1 and the best. It's hosted by Tom Scharpling, arguably the funniest person alive. Most of the show is based around people calling into the show with him riffing. However, the core is based around his partner-in-crime Jon Wurster (drummer for Superchunk, The Mountain Goats, and a bunch more) who calls in under a wide array of characters and personas. If you like jokes about GG Allin or Marky Ramone or various weirdo subcultures, this is the show for you! A lot of well-known comics have also been on the show, including Todd Barry, Chris Elliot and an infinite amount more. Ted Leo's also a frequent guest. So have Ben Gibbard and Amy Mann. NXT superstar Aiden English has also called in.

This is seriously #1 and the best. If you're a fan of Gathering of the Juggalos references or making fun of The Grateful Dead (particularly their Pigpen era) or the band Suicide or pop-punk obscurities you'll love this.

2) HOW WAS YOUR WEEK by Julie Klausner. Julie's a NYC-based comedian who is hysterical. Her podcast starts with her recapping her week and then she interviews different people. It's usually not comedy people but more people in the NYC theater community or different writers. But the interviews are all hilarious.

3) FOGELNEST FILES -- Jake Fogelnest hosted the cult favorite Squirt TV on cable access and MTV when he was a kid. He's done a lot of radio work and the like ever since, mostly on Sirius. He's a bit of an "Internet curator" where he finds all sorts of weird Internet video clips and the likes and bases his interviews around those.

4) TALK TIME WITH MICAH AND EMILY -- This is a charming podcast done by two of my best friends. Micah and Emily are married. They're also comedians here in Philly who specialize in writing hilarious songs and having completely off-beat interplay (which isn't an act at all). This is super sweet and adorable. I love this so much!

5) JASON SIMS PUTS YOU IN YOUR PLACE -- I just plugged this in the wrestling threat since I guest hosted an episode. Jason lives in Alabama. He calls into the aforementioned Best Show a lot. He interviews people about where they're from and how they influence him. Pretty much everyone (except for Micah and Emily) on this list has been interviewed on the show. So has John Hodgman.

6) LOW TIMES PODCAST -- The best music podcast in the world. The hosts interview all sorts of musicians from all over the spectrum -- from Blake from Jawbreaker to Peter Murphy from New Order.

I've recently discovered The Classic Loveline podcast.  It is ALWAYS interesting, and Adam Carolla is absolute gold at off the cuff humor.  The episodes are from 1996, and some of the guests are about irrelevant as it gets by now, but I understand 100% why this show has been on the air so long.  The people who call into this show range from deranged to batshit fucking insane, but it is enthralling.

• Like 1

I've recently discovered The Classic Loveline podcast.  It is ALWAYS interesting, and Adam Carolla is absolute gold at off the cuff humor.  The episodes are from 1996, and some of the guests are about irrelevant as it gets by now, but I understand 100% why this show has been on the air so long.  The people who call into this show range from deranged to batshit fucking insane, but it is enthralling.

DAG

I just started checking out Fatman on Batman after I think I tried one of Smith's other podcasts and then realized that it was heavily into interviews with the DC Animated guys, not just the comics writers.

• 1 month later...

In a funny bit of continuity, Nerdist has Slash on and if you remember when Jericho was on, they mentioned how he was a dinosaur nut.  So the whole beginning of the show is Slash on Dinosaurs.

Also, Nerd Poker has something pretty big happen.

Man, it's been forever since the last The Champs podcast. That said, that podcast took a hit when DJ Dougpound left. I know not everyone was a fan of the drops, but they always made me crack up.