DVDVR Message Board

The Podcast Thread

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The hosts of How Did This Get Played (Earwolf's bad-games podcast hosted by Birthday-and-Doughboy Nick Wiger and ex-Whose Line performer Heather Anne Campbell) fucked up HARD this week.  First, they thought it would be fun to do Custer's Revenge on Thanksgiving week.  Then they invited Native comedian and TV writer Joey Clift on as their guest.  And it's harrowing.  Clift plays along thru the first half of the show, then as soon as it's time to talk about the game he shuts shit down.  And it's great.  Clift doesn't pull any punches, the hosts acknowledge how fucked a choice it was, while explaining why they made that choice without defending it.  I thought it was amazing but I don't feel like I can encourage or discourage listening for anyone who isn't 'a well meaning white guy who has inadvertently hurt a friend" or a Native angry about tokenism

I listened to that Monday and it was pretty intense for sure, but easily a much better conversation to be had than one talking about that garbage piece of shit game.

Joey was actually on Yo Is This Racist today to talk about it, I had a feeling it was going to come up on that podcast but I was surprised when he was there for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read by through all the pages of this thread and didn't see Tights And Fights mentioned. The latest episode had Joey Clift guest and was all about Rusev and Lana - and a funny side story about the Authors Of Pain and a poetry book. 

Also didn't see a lot of stuff I listen to talked about, but I'll just say I'll give time to almost anything with Iffy Nwadiwe.

Man, end of an era...Dan Rykert's last day at Giant Bomb was yesterday and his last Giant Beastcast was also yesterday.

He's moving on from the video games industry entirely actually for the only move that makes sense for him - he'll be producing the WWE podcasts. He'll still have his Panning the Stream podcast with his wife and it sounds like he may still do a video games podcast, but it'll be with someone from WWE (I'm assuming it'll be Xavier Woods).

I may not have always liked listening to Dan and I can't imagine working with him, but he never seemed like a dick and I liked how open he was about his anxiety issues. I'll miss hearing him on the Giant Bombcast and Giant Beastcast.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can we use this space to talk about how fucking shitty Spotify's app is for podcasts? The only reason I bring this up is because I saw Joe Rogan is moving exclusively to Spotify. Both audio and video. So Spotify will be moving even more into the video space with this. I have been annoyed for a little bit now because a few of my podcasts moved over to exclusively being on Spotify, but Joe Rogan is by far their biggest get. I'm already a Spotify Premium/Family subscriber, but I don't use it for podcasts because I tried it in the past and it sucked. All of the music stuff is fine.

So I go back to the podcasts tab to again check out that part of that and it still fucking sucks. I bought Pocket Casts years ago and that's my preferred app. Everything with Pocket Casts and even Podcast Addict is perfect compared to Spotify.

I just can't see this working out well for anyone that moves exclusively to Spotify. I'm sure that for those people the money Spotify is offering will look good, but it's going to be like when other streamers jumped from Twitch to some other random service and saw their streaming numbers drop from hundreds of thousands of streamers to just thousands of streamers.

I don't like Spotify much either.  Really the only reason I keep an account is to use it on PS4.   But I'm sure someone will put the episodes up on YouTube.  I listen to a few SiriusXM shows that way.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I use Stitcher because I have the premium subscription but honestly it's not that great of an app and they seem to have lag time between some shows being released and them actually appearing on the app. Consider that an anti-recommendation.

Only issue I have with pocket casts is the desktop version will struggle with some servers and constantly stop playback. Other than that it's a great app and web interface. 

Edited by Jiji

• 1 year later...