DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: VADER

RIPPA

When did Vader debut in WCW?

I don't know if it was his first appearance or not. But I remember watching the Clash when Vader debuted in my life. He came out with that crazy ass steam helmet and jumped around it. My brother and I instantaneously selected him as our favorite wrestler ever.

When did Vader debut in WCW?

This was Vader's first WCW match (which was 1990)

but he was still working in Japan at the time. He didn't go full time until like 92

Are we going to get a week of your least favorite things in the future?

The venting on the awfulness of Cibernetico was cathartic.  I would struggle to think of a worker I hated more than Shawn Stasiak or Chessman.

Maybe Chukky.  I'd love to fit that guy with a scuba tank, submerge him in a whiskey barrel filled with nitro and roll it into the patth of an oncoming flaming garbage truck.

I have considered it though the amount of butt hurt some folks around here would feel in regards to people I hate... I am not sure I want that nonsense in the WOTD threads.

I am already prepared for Ed to call me an asshole when I dish on Chukky.

Asshole.  Kidding, just kidding.

I, and Chukky, still love you, JT.

I can't post it since I'm at work, but the Vader/Bossman match from WCW is all kinds of awesome.  Two big guys just beating the shit out of each other and Vader bumping like a freak for everything Traylor did.  My favorite kind of match.

Depending on which one you are talking about - one of them is my favorite "bad" match as for whatever reason the two guys kept botching stuff so they got frustrated and just started throwing bombs. (The one I am thinking about had Traylor doing his Guardian Angel gimmick)

Looking at Wikipedia the one I'm thinking of is from Spring Stampede 1994 when Traylor was still The Boss.  Found the link on Dailymotion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8pkt_40-94-04-17-vader-vs-the-boss-spring-stampede_sport

I just tried to look up a Vader vs. Bret Hart, which is a matchup I never saw back then, and that was disappointing. So was his match with Austin. They were all around the Final Four Controversy, and they were all TV matches under 8 minutes. I don't know why you book Vader/Bret as some rinky dink 7 minute time filler. 

However watching him punch Savio Vega straight up in the FACE in this match is totally worth searching for quality Vader WWF matches. And Gorilla Monsoon going nose to nose and throwing chops GOT ME HYPED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDsINISzsio

FUCK - I totally spaced on Vader feuding with Dustin Rhodes too. Plus - the 2nd clip has bump freak Harley Race right at the beginning

http://youtu.be/k2WvfCLjbXY

Someone totally needs to bring back the Face Eraser. I saw that Clash at school with a bunch of friends and we all lost our shit for that finish.

Just watched that Dustin Rhodes match and holy balls did Dustin look like a king in that match. What's more badass than catching Vader off a running splash and powerslamming him? Or hitting a fucking Super DDT? Or kicking out of two Vader bombs? I didn't keep up with WCW much at the time, but the more I watch the more it seems like he should have been World Champion.

I'm at work, but does anyone remember a match vader had with Max Payne?  Payne was tossing and suplexing Vader around and from what I could remember, it was more competitive than it had the right to be.

I do remember that.  Vader ended up winning with a top-rope splash.

FUCK - I totally spaced on Vader feuding with Dustin Rhodes too. Plus - the 2nd clip has bump freak Harley Race right at the beginning

http://youtu.be/k2WvfCLjbXY

Someone totally needs to bring back the Face Eraser. I saw that Clash at school with a bunch of friends and we all lost our shit for that finish.

I knew a guy that used the Wheelbarrow Power Bomb as a finish in the indies.  I love that move!