DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: VADER

RIPPA

We conclude some of my favorite things week with Vader.

I never really thought about what my favorite "feuds" in wrestling were but if I did I have to assume the ones against Sting and Cactus Jack would rate fairly high.

In my fuzzy childhood memories - I wanna say Vader was the first guy for me that the Apter mags hyped the fuck up that I couldn't wait to see and then when I finally did, he lived up to the hype.

We have cross populated some of the other threads with Vader already so I am trying to not repeat myself.

Here is the Vader/Mark Henry match with my review that got lost in time.

http://youtu.be/Ufw3eezlLOQ

VADER VS. MARK HENRY - WWE FULLY LOADED (1998)

So after the next two year break, we can do an issue totally dedicated to forgotten PPV matches. My being a giant Vader mark isn't a secret. Fuck - I seem to be one of the few people on the planet who likes a lot of his WWE work. And I like Mark Henry. And this being from 98 just reminds you that Mark Henry has been around for a long fucking time and we are all really really fucking old. Young, spry Mark Henry is here representing the Nation of Domination and if there is anyone you are going to learn how be a big man from – that person is Vader. That is assuming of course you ignore the first 90 seconds or so which are something you would send directly to Botchamania. A blow body slam, two repeated spots and Vader openly swearing on camera. Yup. But then you have Vader stiffing the fuck out Henry for a few minutes and Henry taking unnecessary bumps for no other reason than It being all "I AM YOUNG AND FEARLESS!!! CLEARLY THIS FORWARD ROLL INTO THE RING STEPS IS A SMART IDEA!" It's a fun way to spend 7 minutes (when you count ring entrances and such). Should it have been on a PPV… probably not. I mean the feud had been all over Shotgun Saturday Night but the live crowd liked Vader so No Harm No Foul. A full Shotgun Saturday Night point.

Also...

http://youtu.be/Domfk4f9NBg

http://youtu.be/K3RmTorRY5s

God, there really is little more in life I like more than Vader punching people on the head.  Discovering Vader and Hansen beating the crap out of each other in Japan was right up there with discovering Hansen and Andre doing the same for me.  

And Rippa and I marked out far too much when I found Vader/Jesse White v. Otani/Daichi Hashimoto.

http://youtu.be/LprqyTcLKro

I still remember the underloved UWFi style match where Vader just destroys Kazuo Yamazaki with shuto strikes setting up the TKO win via chokelslam.  I am not sure if the injury that caused Kazuo to retire was in that match or his final bout with Yuji Nagata.

RIP Antonio Inoki

I fully support the destruction of Antonio Inoki

So do I and Muhammed Ali.

Stupid WWE.  The build-up match to Vader / Bossman where Vader teases the moonsault, but then wags his index finger at the crowd and goes "NAH NAH NAH!  YOU HAVE TO BUY THE PPV TO SEE THAT!"  and then uses the Big Van Crush for the finish is not on the youtubes. 

But part of the Vader vs. Cactus Jack match in Germany where Foley loses part of his ear is there!

We conclude some of my favorite things week with Vader.

Are we going to get a week of your least favorite things in the future?

Anyways, I had not realized that Vader ended the career of Nikita Koloff by injuring his neck with a clothesline. (The one at the 8:40-ish mark, I guess.) It sounds like he could have come back if he really wanted to, but realized he didn't have the desire, so it's not like Vader completely ruined his career.

The venting on the awfulness of Cibernetico was cathartic.  I would struggle to think of a worker I hated more than Shawn Stasiak or Chessman.

Maybe Chukky.  I'd love to fit that guy with a scuba tank, submerge him in a whiskey barrel filled with nitro and roll it into the patth of an oncoming flaming garbage truck.

The venting on the awfulness of Cibernetico was cathartic.  I would struggle to think of a worker I hated more than Shawn Stasiak or Chessman.

Maybe Chukky.  I'd love to fit that guy with a scuba tank, submerge him in a whiskey barrel filled with nitro and roll it into the patth of an oncoming flaming garbage truck.

I have considered it though the amount of butt hurt some folks around here would feel in regards to people I hate... I am not sure I want that nonsense in the WOTD threads.

I have considered it though the amount of butt hurt some folks around here would feel in regards to people I hate... I am not sure I want that nonsense in the WOTD threads.

I am already prepared for Ed to call me an asshole when I dish on Chukky.

Vader vs. Riki Choshu (IWGP - 8/19/1990)

I love the brawling and this match has the best "can't see everything" ref ever.  So busy checking Riki's shoulders for near-falls that he does not see Vader holding onto the ropes during the standing grapevine leg lock spots.

Oy, it would not be a Vader thread without the Vader / Hansen match where Vader's eye comes out of the socket...  AND THE MATCH DOES NOT STOP~!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOYSnhhiU8M

or one of the million billion contests between Vader and Misawa for the Triple Crown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtg4yFaXFl0

Holy shit, I still miss Misawa. 

I got to see Vader wrestle live a two years ago and he's still fucking awesome. Fucking murdered Jay Bradley with some shots.

He's one of those dudes that instilled legit fear when he faced one of your favorite guys. 

Man I wish he broke Shawn Michaels in half.

I can't post it since I'm at work, but the Vader/Bossman match from WCW is all kinds of awesome.  Two big guys just beating the shit out of each other and Vader bumping like a freak for everything Traylor did.  My favorite kind of match.

I can't post it since I'm at work, but the Vader/Bossman match from WCW is all kinds of awesome.  Two big guys just beating the shit out of each other and Vader bumping like a freak for everything Traylor did.  My favorite kind of match.

Depending on which one you are talking about - one of them is my favorite "bad" match as for whatever reason the two guys kept botching stuff so they got frustrated and just started throwing bombs. (The one I am thinking about had Traylor doing his Guardian Angel gimmick)

I'd forgotten about this until recently when I found it on a VHS tape. It'd be Vader's greatest squash match if you didn't know that Joe Thurman got his back(seemingly legit, and you can believe it) broken. As this is from a year in review show, Schiavone can't wait to tell you about it. Brutal.

So wish I knew if this awesome Vader promo from All Japan was online somewhere. Long story short, he'd just lost the TC to Kobashi a couple of months ago and tells the interviewer he wants a rematch. The interviewer takes it all in and politely asks, "So, you want a world title shot?"

And Vader just explodes on the guy. "WHAT'D I JUST SAY, STUPID?!?!"