DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game v.48

Dolfan in NYC

So do we really want to continue the argument that Seattle's schedule was soooooo much tougher than Denver's? I'd be willing to compromise that they're pretty damn even, but looking at who each team played and how those team's performed, I'm inclined to give a slight edge to Denver.

KC is pretty much the definition of a paper tiger.  They were 11-5 this year with exactly 1 win coming against a team (Philly) with a record over .500 (10-6).  And that came in week 3 when Philly was still playing Michael Vick and wasn't any good.

Denver's over .500 wins came against KC, SD, and Philly.  Philly was early in the season, again with Vick at the helm.  So they had four wins over teams over .500 and 3 of those aren't quite what they appear.

Meanwhile, Seattle had wins over Carolina, San Francisco, Arizona, and New Orleans.  I don't think it's a stretch to call those four teams better than the aggregate of KC, SD & Philly. 

• Like 1

There was maybe six really good teams in the NFL this season: Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, along with New England and New Orleans to possibly get that number up to six. Pretty much every other team was interchangeably shitty on any given Sunday. To hold up the NFC as some bastion of glorious football while denouncing the AFC as a pile of shit is just wrong. There's a whole lot of shit in both conferences.

• Like 1

And that's fine if you want to call it like that, but people need to stop pretending that Seattle didn't have their fair share of cupcakes.

EDIT: This was in regard to what Tabe was saying. Moreover, I feel like each team had just as tough of a schedule as the other in getting to this point. I also feel like Seattle hasn't faced a passing attack like Denver's. Same thing could be said about Denver facing Seattle's defense. I'll go with experience against youth though, and say Peyton does whatever he wants, however he wants when Denver is on offense.

Before the season started Denver ranked dead last on SOS.  KC and SD wildly outperformed the predictions so the numbers even out quite a bit, but i'm still not exactly sure how good those teams were.

You can't just look at the W/L record in a vacuum, though.  I'd argue the 7-9 Rams could compete against the Colts or Bengals for those division titles.  They went 1-5 against the NFC West.

Well, that's before the season started and I've never liked the SoS stat at the start of a season because who knows how the season will really shake out. I'd rather look at how things transpired at the end of the season to have a good gauge of how tough a team's season was.

With regards to the Rams, I would agree with you if they weren't so fucking inconsistent.

While I think nothing is gonna stop Peyton from winning, I'm rooting for Seattle, solely because I want to see what these asshats have to say when Sherman is holding the trophy:

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/73920503580/dumb-racists-outraged-that-football-star-Richard

That's a dumb reason to cheer for Seattle because I guarantee you those same people will say the same shit about D. Thomas is he scores a TD and celebrates. Racists are racists. The jersey doesn't matter to them.

I disagree. Sherman represents a very specific fear for these people.  A black guy who is great at his job AND confident enough to tell you about it.  "Classless" is the new "uppity."  

With that in mind, wanting to see not so "humble" Richard Sherman running around the field with a trophy seems pretty valid to me! 

• Like 2

Just checking here, but does anyone not believe that the furor over Sherman would be a tenth of what it was if he were white?

It's hard to say because that was a guy being a dick in the second biggest game of the year in the biggest sport in the country. I am usually just as furious when all the shithouse Canucks players do something Canuckish, or Brad Marchand acts like a twat. Of course, all NHL players are painfully white, IMO too white, but because nobody cares about a niche sport, the big fuss doesn't really translate as much.

Sherman is a cock, IMO. I don't like what he did. That being said, the reaction has been incredibly precious.

Just checking here, but does anyone not believe that the furor over Sherman would be a tenth of what it was if he were white?

If he was white this probably wouldn't happen

publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/73920503580/dumb-racists-outraged-that-football-star-richard

http://deadspin.com/dumb-people-say-stupid-racist-shit-about-richard-sherm-1504843629

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist

However if Manziel cut a promo like that there would probably be some #whitetrash tweets as well. If a latin player said something like that I think there would be some racial hate as well. Controversial public figures bring out the stupid hateful people. 

I like the matchup for the Seahawks. The Broncos ran up yards on a bunch of awful defenses this year. The best defenses they beat are Baltimore (seventh in weighted DVOA on defense) and Kansas City (ninth in weighted DVOA). Looking at the list, the best team defense they beat after that is Houston at 17th, I think. 

On the flip side, the Broncos are 15th in defensive DVOA. The Seahawks are still a top ten team in offensive DVOA (seventh). Note that Denver has only played a couple of backs that can do the power game like Lynch, and both (McCoy, Morris) went over 4.5 YPC in their games. Other than that, the best backs they have played are Charles (amazing) and then guys like Blount, Matthews, Tate, the corpse of MJD, the corpse of Ray Rice. 

Which is not to say that the Broncos cannot or will not win, of course. Manning is awesome, they have a great WR/TE group, Ayers can play, Holliday is dangerous on ST. But just looking at it statswise, the matchup favors the Seahawks, I think. 

If Sherman were white and had cut the same promo, we would get equally racist takes from the media saying things like "He needs to learn how to be a better leader for his teammates" and the like, with the implication being that the white man needs to show the savage black athlete how to act at all times. Basically, the media wants white athletes to be the Rev. Slick to the black athletes Kamala in the bowling alley that is life. 

• Like 1

I think everyone saying he topped Bart Scott's post-game interview needs to go back and watch Bart again. "Their defense couldn't stop a nosebleed" and calling out Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson for picking the Pats to win on NFL Countdown >>> bragging about oneself and making fun of Crabs. Sal Palantonio playing the straight man for Bart Scott at the end of the interview is just icing on the cupcake.

Also, its idiotic to place the blame on Crabtree for that play. Kaep said himself that it needed to be thrown at least a half yard deeper for crab to be able to make a play on it. Sherman made a great play to get back and tip it but its not like crabtree really had a chance.

Absolutely.  Crabtree did nothing wrong on that play.

However if Manziel cut a promo like that there would probably be some #whitetrash tweets as well. If a latin player said something like that I think there would be some racial hate as well. Controversial public figures bring out the stupid hateful people. 

Wait, there are Latin football players? I know there's that pussy Mark Sanchez, but wow. :P

In 2014, people are still bringing up the race card when some ass says something dumb in a post game interview. In which he won the game. Can we all enjoy that the 49ers not going to the Superbowl significantly decreases Jim Harbaugh's chances of getting another TV commerical with him yelling at a bunch of kids? Fuck, I hate him.

• Like 1

Wait, there are Latin football players? I know there's that pussy Mark Sanchez, but wow. :P

In 2014, people are still bringing up the race card when some ass says something dumb in a post game interview. In which he won the game. Can we all enjoy that the 49ers not going to the Superbowl significantly decreases Jim Harbaugh's chances of getting another TV commerical with him yelling at a bunch of kids? Fuck, I hate him.

Does Aaron Hernandez still count?  Probably not.  Coulda sworn the Gramaticas were still around but I guess they're gone...

I've got this dichotomy with Harbaugh.  Love the guy on the one hand for all he did at Michigan and his toughness as a player.  Nearly got the Colts to the Super Bowl and all that.  Loved it when he ran up the score on USC.  Love the commercial where he screams at the kids.  That's funny stuff.  But 99% of his coaching tenure in the NFL?  Yeah, straight up d-bag.  Hitting Jim Schwartz.  Generally acting like a d-bag on the sidelines and all that.  So, yeah, dichotomy.

giphy.gif

¡Hola!

• Like 2