DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
caley

True Detective

Tyrone Weems? Now we know what Ron Swanson was doing in the 90s.  Gets too deep into the game, has to change his name, moves to Pawnee and becomes a Libertarian city councillor. With the odd relapse.

tumblr_ld8sfnwkLq1qa4urao1_500.png

Damn I hope I'm the 1st person on the internet to make that comparison. I am assuming not.

That was a fantastic hour of television.

Just realized the guy behind the True Detective cameras also directed Sin Nombre.  It's all starting to make sense now.  Dude is going to have a long career.

And the cinematographer is the same one from Top of the Lake, if anyone has ever seen that.

The only thing that went wrong with the last six minutes was some of the fighting. They say they made a fighting style for Cohle and I thought "kung-fu death touch?" 

Gun-Fu? I only watched The Scene once but I seem to remember he took out 2-3 guys with a gun punch to the external occipital protuberance. Gorilla would've been proud.

Watch again. He was knocking people flat with hits to the shoulder. I don't care if you're using a gun butt, shit don't work like that.

I thought the first three episodes were good, but carried by the acting to cover an only okay story.

This week? Holy shit it took a leap. That was goddamned amazing television.

Goddammit I knew I knew that "Yellow King" and "Carcosa" from somewhere. While I've never read that stuff I'm pretty sure I have some of it sitting around in a collection somewhere.

Rusty being the copy cat killer seems so obvious, I almost hope they don't go with it.

If this show is going to get Weird Fiction metatexual, i might have to watch.

King in Yellow is free on Kindle. I read the first short before tonight's episode. This show is so fucking awesome, and it's going in an entirely different direction than I expected at the start.

This show continues to impress!. Really in the mystery now that we have started jumping around in time more. Equally interested in Rust's off the grid years and his next move post-interrogation. What a beautifully constructed story.

If they can stick the landing, I can't see how anyone can argue that this is probably the best season of any drama ever.  Such dense storytelling and such a overall feel of dread and misery.  How do they even do a second season?

IIRC each season is going to be different cops/cases

IIRC each season is going to be different cops/cases

I meant how can they top this season, or what can they even do.

King in Yellow is free on Kindle. I read the first short before tonight's episode. 

Nice knowing you, buddy.

More like ThatDamnEDYeti, right?

• Like 1

I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left.  It's insane that this show just came down the pipe fully-formed.  It sort of had to, really.  No time to find itself along the way like Breaking Bad and the 8 episode structure leaves very little time for the world-building normally required for a prestige drama (a point lost on some critics it seems). This show just sort of scoffs at all that stuff.

World building just kinda gets strung along for the ride like everything else with this show.  It's simultaneously very methodical and balls-to-the-wall, unlike any other show I could point to.  At 8 hours, is this more mini-series than series?  How do you define that, and would subsequent seasons chance that opinion?

I think it will be considered a mini-series, like American Horror Story, because it is going to be a new set of characters each season.  And AHS is 13 hours-- so I don't think the number of hours determines that.

Wow. Wow. Wow. This show. Wow. Has any show had as many awesome closing moments as this one? 

Uh, yeah. I don't know how you top this season. 

So, I thought the Carcosa spouting nutjub wasn't Reggie Ladoux, because he was supposed to have a spiral tattoo on his back, and that guy had a giant inverted pentagram.  What am I missing?

• Like 1

I didn't notice it myself, but I read online that there was a spiral on his back - scar instead of tattoo if I remember right.

Man, so Lovecraftian after just 10 minutes of episode one, between the ritual killing and the non-humanity of Rust.

Ok, so after this last episode (and with the naked drawings and the crime scene tableau in previous episodes), it's starting to look like Marty's hypersexual daughter was probably abused around the '95 time frame.  Anyways, I'm starting to think whoever abused her also has a connection to the Yellow King.  The shitty grandfather perhaps?  Marty going on about inattention and the answer being "right under my nose."

And then this just popped up on Reddit! 

2sb049j.jpg

Here are few more interesting observations.  Spoiler for size.

Untitled.jpg

Bgpt_nECYAAB6xS.jpg

For my fellow Wire fans, how does Rust compare to McNulty?  Also, I noticed that Brother Mouzone is one of the detectives doing the questioning.