DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

No season will every come close to this one, I feel confident on that. This season was just a perfect storm of factors coming together. Not only did they happen to get McConaughey at the top of his game, they got him at the exact moment when he became bigger than he's ever been. Every time he stepped up to the podium to accept an award for DALLAS BUYERS CLUB and cut one of his crazy speeches, it was like an ad reminding you to watch this show Sunday at 9.

While I'm sure they'll get good actors for next season, the odds that they'll catch someone at the height of their powers seem slim.

And Pizzolatto has already confirmed that not only will Fukunaga not be back, but they'll also never be able to do the one director thing again because of the demands of TV production.

So much of what made the show feel special is walking out the door. The only consistent factor will be Pizzolatto's writing, and I generally find that to be the iffy-est part of the show. If you asked me to pick the one thing that held the show back from being all that it could have been, I'd say it was the writing.

Am I crazy or would this have been better with at least one extra episode.  The revelation of the killer and his capture seemed a little rushed, plus we could have actually made Marty's wife and daughters characters not just placeholders for his misguided emotion.  There is just so much that happened that didn't get resolved.  What is really up with Marty's daughter?  They could have really humanized her with an extra scene or two, but instead they made here a cartoon version of a troubled child.  His ex-wife is obviously still drawn to him despite everything that he has done.  Is she just as much of an emotional wreck as him?  When they were at their best, were they actually good for each other?  Are the current day detectives actually good at their jobs?  So Childress is not the Yellow King, wouldn't it have been crazy if the show ended with the new detectives finding another body to illustrate the flat circle theory?  I'm probably just being greedy, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with the end, but there are so many threads dangling that I want to pull.

If Maggie is drawn to him it is purely out of pity. The hospital scene was so very cold in that it was the moment of honesty for Marty and his family was only there out of obligation.

I'll have more to say when I get off work, but I enjoyed the finale. Could have used 10 episodes, for sure.

See, over the course of the season, I never bought that these guys even liked each other, let alone loved each other. You'd actually have an easier time convincing me they hated each other. When Marty referred to Rust as "my friend," I was like, "WHAT? That's bullshit, man."

I'm willing to believe they are something akin to friends at the very end, going through a traumatic near-death experience together tending to create strong bonds and all, but I feel like the story of this season is less "Bro Love Overcomes All" and more like HOW I MET MY NEW BEST FRIEND.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Both of these guys came from messed up backgrounds. Rust's is particularly dramatic, but Marty is a womanizer, destroys his marriage multiple times, etc. Through that time they're these super-detectives, but while they have this common bond, this fissure grows and grows until it all comes to a head when Rust and Marty's wife get it on. I look back to that moment and I realize that Rust was particularly upset because he knew it meant the end of the one and only friendship he had, as backwards as it was.

There's another moment around that time where Marty tells Rust that he needs to go and get laid and how when he was getting some he was normal. I don't think there is any normal for Rust, but what really mattered to him was having Marty in his life.

Skip to these last two episodes. At this point, their lives have gone so far off the rails that all the distractions are gone. Marty can finally see that Rust isn't crazy and Rust knows that he himself isn't crazy because Marty validates him. When Marty asks Rust if he went light on him, he clearly knows that Rust went light on him and could have seriously hurt Marty, but he didn't. The tension and pressure builds while they hunt down the Yellow King, and at that point they're all each other have. Both of these guys went on such an incredible journey to find out that, hey, we're really the best of friends even if our relationship is skewed at times. Not once did I ever think about that journey during this season until the finale and that's what I loved most of all about this season. Looking back, yeah, the story was about catching the Yellow King and unraveling the conspiracy, but the greater story was about Marty and Rust.

Goddamn though, that re-telling of the events by Rust at the end of the episode was heartbreaking. If I lost my daughter, I would be just as fucked up.

I was planning on saying this exact thing, but I probably wouldn't have articulated it as well, so thanks for taking care of that for me.

I thought this was a pretty good finale, but part of me hoped it would have ended with them dying in that cave.  I just think it would have been more in line with the overall themes of the show.  The entire case was basically about people disappearing without anyone caring.  I thought it would have been a better ending if in order to stop people from disappearing they would have to disappear themselves.  They kind of had it set up last week when they showed Marty eating a TV dinner alone, and Rust dismissing the former Mrs. Hart when she tried to reconnect.  These were two guys that had nothing and no one, but this case, and paying the ultimate price to see it through would ahve been appropriate in my opinion.

In the interview Sepinwall did with Pizzolatto, he mentioned that at one point in development, the show was going to end with Rust and Marty disappearing without a trace. And I am in total agreement that it would have been awesome. I don't mind that they went with the (by this show's standards) Super Happy Ending, but as you mentioned, it would have fit so perfectly with a lot of the themes of the show if at the end they were just...gone.

Plus, then all the Elder Gods theorists could go on thinking that Cthuluh showed up and got them or something.

I wonder how much input HBO had in the ending. They aren't known as meddlers like Showtime, but I can just see an exec flipping out when he saw an ambiguous ending in the planning stages. DEAR GOD, NOT THE SOPRANOS ENDING.

While I think it's great that there are ridiculously talented people who want to be associated with the show, I'm almost afraid that if it's guys like Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman that their star power will overshadow the show itself and people will constantly be like, "woah! Brad Pitt is in a TV show!"

Russ saved Martys life, even if you hated someone if they put a bullet in the dome of a man who was about to strike you with an ax I think you'd feel a little inclined to make sure they recovered ok, you'd owe them that atleast.

• 2 weeks later...

After falling behind, I ran through the rest of this in one sitting. Amazing season. What can be said about the writing/acting/cinematography that hasn't been said already.

I do want to quickly address the "women are written horribly on this show" argument. Listen, we only meet women who have been murdered and women who are in direct contact with the two leads. The two leads are both insane. In Marty's case, his actions broke his family apart. Other than his family, who else do we meet..  only his mistresses and guess what..  a woman would have to be a little crazy to get involved with him. He also had two daughters. One of them went down a path of acting out I suppose but what about the other? She was intelligent, strong.. she got through it. She made it. Why does nobody mention her? Simply because it doesn't fit their bullshit narrative. Rust's girlfriend did not get a lot of time but she seemed like she had it together also.

Which I think is bullshit in regards to Maggie and she is the only other character, male or female, who was given enough time to develop. The format of the show demands a smaller group of fleshed out characters.

I think that talking point was overblown early on when the story was mainly in '95 and it just sort of stuck even though Maggie's character changed.

I hope Monaghan gets a supporting nom.

• Like 1

Which I think is bullshit in regards to Maggie and she is the only other character, male or female, who was given enough time to develop. The format of the show demands a smaller group of fleshed out characters.

I think that talking point was overblown early on when the story was mainly in '95 and it just sort of stuck even though Maggie's character changed.

I hope Monaghan gets a supporting nom.

I disagree, Michelle Monaghan did a good job with what she was given, but she wasn't given much of anything.  Her entire arc was based 100% on what happened with her husband and his partner.  She wasn't a character that had any motivation at all other than to fall victim to her husband's cheating.  I'm not saying that the show suffered for her not being a fleshed out character, but she wasn't a fleshed out character. 

The daughter is an even bigger missed oppurtunity.  The oldest daughter clearly had something going on, they just didn't bother writing anything to make it matter.  They showed her playing with her dolls in a sexual way, drawing age inappropritate things at school, and getting caught having sex with multiple partners in public.  Expanding on why she was doing all of that could have made her an interesting character, but they decided against it.

I will agree on the daughter. I was convinced she had some part to play in the main story.

Still, I think Maggie was more fleshed out than people are giving credit for. Sure, it's not her story they were telling, but I felt that by the end I knew her as more than Marty's fuck up.

It could just be that I loved her final scene. Marty breaks down and she is so cold in that moment.