DVDVR Message Board

30 For 30

Gonzo

Didn't TJ Duckett kill Michigan one year?

He went for 211 against a really good run defense, and caught the illegal game winning touchdown when the clock had expired before the fucking snap.

It was a great game, but not on that superhuman level like Biakabatuka going for 311 against unbeaten Ohio.

The newest 30 for 30 on the murder of wrestler Dave Schultz that was the basis (rather loosely from some opinion) on the FoxCatcher movie has to be one of the creepier and sadder ones they have ever done.  The levels of insane that Du Pont went through near the end is something.  

The newest 30 for 30 on the murder of wrestler Dave Schultz that was the basis (rather loosely from some opinion) on the FoxCatcher movie has to be one of the creepier and sadder ones they have ever done.  The levels of insane that Du Pont went through near the end is something.  

The hour long 30 for 30 basically conveyed Du Pont's craziness way better than the movie did.

Until you actually see this fucker think he is a world class athlete despite having the body of someone with full blown AIDS, you don't know how much of a lunatic he was.

The 911 call was just soul crushing though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The newest one on the Colorado football team from the 80's and early 90's is pretty damn good.  So many crazy things happened to that team in a 4 year period:

1.  The whole Sal Aunese situation with his cancer and the pregnancy to the coach's daughter

2.  The legendary 5th down game against Missouri

3.  The clip in the 2nd Notre Dame Orange Bowl game that definitely wasn't

Oh and fuck Lou Holtz

Yeah this is probably the 2nd best boxing one they have done (thought Leonard vs Duran was better).  Really good history of both guys although I think they were seriously over blowing how little people respected Holyfield.     You can see Tyson in his interview and press conferences that his confidence was completely shot and even he thought he had no chance

They probably could have expanded on some things if they had 120 minutes instead of 90. Such as getting Mitch Halpern off the fight for Mills Lane. The Tyson build. Some stuff about Holyfield fighting Bert Cooper after Tyson and Damiani got hurt (and Cooper knocked Holyfield down). Or Riddick Bowe being from the same part of NYC as Tyson.

They had almost all archival footage until the last minutes. Considering that Halpern is dead, Lane had a severe stroke, Don King is probably not a good source of content but a good source of bullshit. Having an all archives format tells the story the best.

Yeah this is probably the 2nd best boxing one they have done (thought Leonard vs Duran was better).  Really good history of both guys although I think they were seriously over blowing how little people respected Holyfield.     You can see Tyson in his interview and press conferences that his confidence was completely shot and even he thought he had no chance

Holyfield was absolutely considered a shot fighter at the time of his meeting with Tyson.  I think the documentary quite accurately reflected the skepticism in the general boxing community that Holyfield, who was already considered merely an overblown cruiserweight to begin with, was on a serious decline after failing to decisively beat ancient former champs Foreman and Holmes (that Holmes fight was damn close, by the way - young Holmes would have drubbed Holyfield from ringpost to ringpost), losing decisively to an unheralded Michael Moorer (seriously, tell me what Moorer's greatest victory was before beating Evander - getting promptly starched by the same George Foreman didn't do anything to dispel that narrative), and looking old, slow, and broken down against another blown-up cruiserweight Bobby Czyz.  And that doesn't even take into account the massive abuse we all saw Holyfield absorb against Riddick Bowe, two of which Holyfield lost, the last of which by stoppage.

Now to the extent Holyfield was underestimated I think it is fairer and more accurate to say that Tyson was massively overrated.  As part of his general decline since winning the titles in the 80s, Tyson had been gradually transforming himself from a mobile swarmer with excellent power into a "stand and land" slugger.  I don't think Tyson or anyone else was expecting Holyfield to physically shove him around the ring they way he did of course, but we now know that Evander was heavily into steroids and other PEDs, and you can see the clear and obvious difference in his physique between the Czyz fight and the first Tyson fight just 6 months later.  

Overall I enjoyed watching the documentary and seeing so much of that footage for the first time in years.  Those Bowe fights were just brutal, and seeing how both men turned out lent an aura of melancholy over that segment for me. 

I think it was the Sporting News that re-ran an old "Holyfield will beat Tyson" article from before Mike went to jail after the fight actually happened. With this absurd, triumphant preface.

They're basic argument, as I recall all these years later, was that Evander can take a punch and not go down or be intimidated, and once you get past the first few rounds, Iron Mike had nothing else to offer.

I think it was the Sporting News that re-ran an old "Holyfield will beat Tyson" article from before Mike went to jail after the fight actually happened. With this absurd, triumphant preface.

They're basic argument, as I recall all these years later, was that Evander can take a punch and not go down or be intimidated, and once you get past the first few rounds, Iron Mike had nothing else to offer.

This is not untrue.  Tyson's only real advantage was his power, but Holyfield's biggest advantage was that he was the better strategic fighter.  If Holyfield's chin negates Tyson's power, Tyson has to try to figure out Holyfield's strategy. 

I think the best part of the entire documentary was Tyson's commentary.  Listening to Tyson talk boxing is like listening to Kanye West talk about music.  All the other shit you may think about either of them kind of goes away and you think to yourself, "oh yeah, there is a reason these guys are so successful."  Tyson clearly loves boxing, and his perspective on Holyfield as a boxer seemed to be right on point.  Don Turner's parts were good too, especially that last one where he was talking about Tyson being a great fighter, but not the tough guy he's been made out to be.  Tyson's entire career was based on him being the meanest, toughest, most intimidating man on the planet.  That is all marketing.  Tyson as a fighter was a skilled fighter who had massive power.  He had the shortest reach of any heavyweight champion in history, and he used good head movement to be able to close the distance on his opponents.  Tyson also had a rock solid chin, allowing him to withstand the punishment a shorter fighter may face trying to get in punching range.  Tyson could beat almost anyone who couldn't keep him at distance, because his punching power was so devastating.  If you could withstand that power and/or keep him at a distance, he was beatable.  Tyson's was essentially a shot gun, incredibly powerful up close, but ineffective at distance.  Holyfield was able to withstand the occasional shotgun blast and fight in a way that frustrated and beat up Tyson.  I don't know if Tyson beats him before prison, after prison, in prison, or anywhere else.  Holyfield's biggest weakness was that he was small, and had a hard time fighting bigger fighters.  He is basically the perfect fighter to fight Tyson.

Nothing negates prime Tyson's power. If your plan is to get hit by Tyson, you are going down. People are underestimating how much speed and power he lost when he went away. He would have lit Holyfield up.  Holyfield is the same guy who was knocked silly his whole career by fighters who didn't have a tenth of the power Mike did. They were supposed to fight in November of '91. They didn't actually fight until FIVE YEARS later and after Mike couldn't train for three plus. That is a huge difference.

• Like 1

Nothing negates prime Tyson's power. If your plan is to get hit by Tyson, you are going down. People are underestimating how much speed and power he lost when he went away. He would have lit Holyfield up.  Holyfield is the same guy who was knocked silly his whole career by fighters who didn't have a tenth of the power Mike did. They were supposed to fight in November of '91. They didn't actually fight until FIVE YEARS later and after Mike couldn't train for three plus. That is a huge difference.

The thing I think he lost the most was the basic boxing fundamentals.  When he was young his footwork and head movement were phenomenal.  He was an incredible athlete who cared about boxing much more than we probably give him credit for.  With that said, some people, Holyfield included, have concrete chins.  Holyfield was knocked silly by plenty of people, but he's only been finished twice.  He was one of those guys who could just stand there and take punishment despite the fact that he should have been finished.  Do you watch MMA?  If not, you should watch this fight between Mirko Cro Cop and Mark Hunt.  Cro Cop was braining people with high kicks for a few years, and it seemed like he could knock out anyone.  Mark Hunt stood in front of Cro Cop and took all of those head kicks like they were nothing.  Some dudes just won't go away.  Holyfield was one of those dudes who wouldn't go away.

I watch some MMA but I haven't watched that fight. I'm not saying Tyson would automatically win that fight if it takes place in '91 but I have to believe he would have had a much better chance at it. Holyfield could take a lot of punishment but could he withstand a flurry of shots from a pre-jail Tyson?   I don't know about that.  Bowe finished him.