DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

It sounds like it's worth checking out. I always had it down as "generic buddy cop show #49 on USA" but it sounds very interesting.

Oh goodness no.  I mean, at it's core, YES, it's a buddy cop show, but that's not why you watch Psych.  No other show could get away with the shit they do, except maybe Community.  Stuff like the Twin Peaks episode is distinctly "Psych".

With that said, alot of the mysteries involved on the show are legitimately well done.  The Mentalist directly ripped Psych off with absolutely none of the charm.

It sounds like it's worth checking out. I always had it down as "generic buddy cop show #49 on USA" but it sounds very interesting.

Oh goodness no.  I mean, at it's core, YES, it's a buddy cop show, but that's not why you watch Psych.  No other show could get away with the shit they do, except maybe Community.  Stuff like the Twin Peaks episode is distinctly "Psych".

With that said, alot of the mysteries involved on the show are legitimately well done.  The Mentalist directly ripped Psych off with absolutely none of the charm.

They do make fun of The Mentalist a lot, but also of themselves in the process...like the characters on Psych watch The Mentalist because it's on a real network and make fun of what a ridiculous concept it is.  And in the remake episode, they had Shawn pitch the idea for SUITS, since the episode was set in 2006.

But I think patient zero for all USA concept shows was MONK.   I don't think a show like PSYCH gets on there without that.

I wouldn't sell either show, though, on the quality of the mysteries.  They are often pretty weak and scooby doo-ish.  Every so often, one of Shawn's observations is really clever...but it's no COLUMBO.  It's the banter and Hardy Boys vibe that I enjoy...and that Gus had an official AIRWOLF windbreaker.

Alright. I'm doing it. I'm going to watch Psych.

Fuck yeah.  It's all on Netflix.  Remember, most of the 1st season sucked.  And so far some of this current season has been a little off.  So don't go in order.  If you really like the show, you can go back and watch those for the sake of completing the cycle.

I think season two is already fully evolved, so you might want to start there, but as I mentioned earlier, the season One finale "Scary Sherry" is their first horror movie parody, and it should almost be a season two ep.

King of the Nerds season 2 began last night. The elimination was decided by a half-trivia, half-broomstick-riding event called "Nerdditch." I don't have a favorite at the moment, but there could be some more awkward contestants than in season one.

For those who hated last season's ending, I've been assured that the new finale has been "ramped up."

I wrote a full recap of last night's episode.

I also have been interviewing contestants. Nicole, the first season 2 contestant, happily enough, is a chemist, roller derby player, and a self-professed heel mark.

I'm watching the "Army of One" episode of The Sopranos and it features both Michael K. Williams and the dude who plays Jigsaw in the Saw movies. I completely did not remember that. Williams is a project tenant with a great line involving of all things chess (remember season one of The Wire?) and Jigsaw is a military school instructor. Pretty cool coincidences. Another one, which is really weird, is Tony saying the army doesn't go to war anymore... then I check when the episode aired and it was 2001. Creepy.

Was looking over some early Smallville episodes, and seriously, this has to be the most improved TV show ever. After Millar and Gough left, it got so great.

Seasons 1, 2 and 3 are basically:

-meteor freak falls in love with and stalks Lana Lang (this happened at least 5 times)

-someone finds out Clark's secret then either dies or gets amnesia

-Clark brooding

-Lana brooding

-Clark debating whether he should tell Lana the truth

Best part is where Christopher Reeves shows up and manages to out-act and out-perform everyone else despite the fact he's unable to even stand.

By season 7 however, the show looks way more stylish, Welling has improved significantly as an actor and while the scripts aren't exactly Emmy winning they're a significant improvement on what has gone before. It's practically two different shows.

I remember the show getting decentish around season 3, and then tanking again by season 6, and then I bailed.  Is 7-10 really worth watching?

I was a big fan and started getting really let down by season6 and pretty much watching 7 and 8 out of obligation.  Things started picking up steam again in season 9, then I was really happy with season 10. 

Watching HIS NAME WAS JASON and who shows up as a talking head, but James Roday!  He was weirdly serious saying things like how Jason fulfills every nerd's dream of dying and coming back strong and able to kill those who tormented you.  Like a strangely dark take from Shawn Spencer.

Late to the party, but I just wanted to praise Psych as well.  Love Gus' nicknames, the goofiness, the cultural references and the random cameos.  Woody could have the most interesting life of any TV character in history.

Gus, don't be the third Thompson Twin with the dreads.

Still the best part is Dule Hill's slowly growing list of fears and random areas of obsessive knowledge about, like, geology...things you were really into in the sixth-grade and then don't remember anything about now.

Late to the party, but I just wanted to praise Psych as well.  Love Gus' nicknames, the goofiness, the cultural references and the random cameos.  Woody could have the most interesting life of any TV character in history.

Gus, don't be the third Thompson Twin with the dreads.

Still the best part is Dule Hill's slowly growing list of fears and random areas of obsessive knowledge about, like, geology...things you were really into in the sixth-grade and then don't remember anything about now.

That is another reason I recommend watching everything in order, just so you can see all of that evolve.  I love the revelations of all the weird shit Gus is into.  Also how he started out as the straight man, and just became a giant weirdo as the show went on. 

Re-watching some Party Down. I remember there's some fans on the board. We all know the general story; most of the (main) cast got bigger and better offers and the show/Starz just couldn't keep up. I know several are fans of british TV A big aspect of several of those shows are the much shorter series length leading to the writing and characters staying stronger over the shorter periods of time. I'd like to think of Party Down as a a memorable (short) series within comedy TV culture. Freaks and Geeks evokes a similar feeling. 

I know/have heard about a move version being in development. I'd watch it, but also kinda feel like the run of the series was a perfect storm of talented comedy actors in between projects, and almost impossible to re-create.

edit* And Bubbles from The Wire just showed up. 

• Like 1

"You know what's worse than getting your testicles crushed by a baseball bat? Getting them crushed again"

You guys can keep your meta bullshit buddy cop shows. I'm with Kai Proctor and Banshee.

tumblr_m7i636x9wH1rx84v2o1_400.gif