DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

I don't know about everyone else but I have had a half dozen lapsed wrestling fans text me talking about this WWE network is going to be awesome and they will be checking it out.

YEs.  My phone has been blowing up all day.  People who aren't even into wrestling anymore say they are giving this a shot.  Very weird, but I hope it works out for my sake!!

I don't know about everyone else but I have had a half dozen lapsed wrestling fans text me talking about this WWE network is going to be awesome and they will be checking it out.

Yeah - this is going on in my circle as well. People that occasionally watch RAW and maybe WrestleMania are on board in my neck of the woods. This could be huge.

AR Fox vs Davey Richards was just announced for Evolve in Tampa tomorrow night.

Not sure if they have wrestled each other before, but I can imagine some nutty stuff is going to go down. I'll be sure to let the board know about their favorite wrestler since i'll be there.

Pretty stacked card and Naylor on commentary.

I was gonna ask which of their weekend Florida shows are on iPPV, and then I checked, and all three of them are.  Oy!

But yeah, I'm thinking the Tampa one looks like the best of the bunch.

I'd add to Raziel's post that that's also based on 200k PPV buys A] continuing forwards, which seems pretty unlikely as PPV buys have been on a downward trend for about a decade, and B] disappearing completely, which at least initially won't be the case because you'll still have the odd sports bar and old-timer who'd rather pay more and get it in their teevee (what's a Row-coo?) then have to figure out streaming.

The big win is not so much the present number of subscriptions as it is they're turning away from a PPV business model which is clearly dwindling to something that has real growth potential. Initially they'll probably lose money on everything, but the new TV deal ought to cover them for the interim.

AR Fox vs Davey Richards was just announced for Evolve in Tampa tomorrow night.

Not sure if they have wrestled each other before, but I can imagine some nutty stuff is going to go down. I'll be sure to let the board know about their favorite wrestler since i'll be there.

Pretty stacked card and Naylor on commentary.

I was gonna ask which of their weekend Florida shows are on iPPV, and then I checked, and all three of them are.  Oy!

But yeah, I'm thinking the Tampa one looks like the best of the bunch.

I do too, but I wish Tampa had either the Neese/Hero or more prefurably (for me) Taylor/Hero.

However, Taylor is wrestling that cat lucha guy, so that might be funny.

The venue has already sold out it's first and VIP rows. They have shows at the Orpheum in Ybor. I think the shows looks cooler than the bright venues/gyms FIP and Chikara do in Orlando. At least the Chiakara show I went to there looked cooler in my opinion.

Also, like I said earlier, LOTS of casual fans at work (i'm the wrestling guy) are coming up and talking to me about it. Talking about the NWO and Austin and even Warrior.

WWE needs about 888,000 subscribers to break even on what they're spending on this. Their Facebook group is at about 926,000 and last nights announcement on YouTube topped out at around 100,000. I'd love to see them hit this because I really want this to succeed so I can get rid of my DVD/VHS copies of all of these PPVs and have the on-demand option.

Very excited. The only thing that has me worried is the WWE has a tendency to take their diehard fans for granted. I hope that the network does not cater solely to casuals knowing that the big fans are going to buy the service no matter what.

Apparently BOWtista signed a 2 year deal as a part-timer, so looks like we'll be seeing him on and off till 2016.

Really, I have to wonder what these young guys on the roster about dudes coming in, working a program, getting their payday, and then leaving for months.

That "chicken and egg" argument equated to the "booking and wrestler" when it comes to the WWE.

Does shitty booking hurt more than being shitty?

What's more likely to happen, a great wrestler getting over despite shitty booking, or great booking getting over a wrestler despite him being shitty?

I realize this isn't exactly a hot button issue in 2014, and has probably been discussed to death, but why was Shawn Michaels such a bitch during the Hulk Hogan Summerslam match (as well as the night after on RAW?).

I just stumbled onto it and watched it again while browsing other stuff on YouTube. I mean, is it just because...Shawn Michaels, or is there some underlying backstory there that I've never heard about? Did he really think he should have gone over the Huckster?

You would think since Big Kev is buddies with Hulk, he would have had a talk with him about it before the match or something. Not that Shawn strikes me as the type to give a fuck what anyone else would think, but still. What a strange, strange match. My mind immediately goes back to that when I hear Shawn talk about how much he's changed since becoming born again.

I realize this isn't exactly a hot button issue in 2014, and has probably been discussed to death, but why was Shawn Michaels such a bitch during the Hulk Hogan Summerslam match (as well as the night after on RAW?).

I just stumbled onto it and watched it again while browsing other stuff on YouTube. I mean, is it just because...Shawn Michaels, or is there some underlying backstory there that I've never heard about? Did he really think he should have gone over the Huckster?

You would think since Big Kev is buddies with Hulk, he would have had a talk with him about it before the match or something. Not that Shawn strikes me as the type to give a fuck what anyone else would think, but still. What a strange, strange match. My mind immediately goes back to that when I hear Shawn talk about how much he's changed since becoming born again.

IIRC Shawn was fine with lying down for Hogan provided Hulk returned the favor in a rematch.  But the Hulkster nixed the rematch, so there you go.