DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Dear studio formerly known as Criterion Games,

What the fuck were you thinking when you designed Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit? Every car handles like shit, when you drift the car just loves to spin around and not actually fuckin' drift, and the fuckin' AI either stop dead in their tracks for fear of "OMG you might hit me" or rubberband even if you get in 6th place.

And review sites gave this 8.0 out of 10, or 4 out of 5 or such shit like that? Did they just play the game for 30 minutes before handing out the review score?

Did my first Halo online multiplayer ever yesterday. Results varied.

-Man I am goooood at Zombies in open space. I'm either flanking and sneaking up for melee kills as a zombie (ask Stout about that) or me with a Shotgun defending a position. (Which I am very good at). Map Memorization is all I lack.

-Free for All Slayer varied. First game, I got 4 kills, which is flat sad. Last one I got 13, but it was more range based, and love me some headshots.

-Does Reach have CTF? Seems weird I cant find it.

Anyone that wants to jump in at some point.

Dear studio formerly known as Criterion Games,

What the fuck were you thinking when you designed Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit? Every car handles like shit, when you drift the car just loves to spin around and not actually fuckin' drift, and the fuckin' AI either stop dead in their tracks for fear of "OMG you might hit me" or rubberband even if you get in 6th place.

And review sites gave this 8.0 out of 10, or 4 out of 5 or such shit like that? Did they just play the game for 30 minutes before handing out the review score?

I got the game on a recent PSN sales for $5. Haven't had time to play much but the handling is shitty.

Figured out yesterday that one of the trophies for Rainbow Moon glitched on me and will keep me from getting the platinum I've been shooting for.  This has me quite displeased.

Figured out yesterday that one of the trophies for Rainbow Moon glitched on me and will keep me from getting the platinum I've been shooting for.  This has me quite displeased.

Man, that sucks.

I'm not a trophy hunter, but on Steam I have had a couple games where the achievements seem to glitch out and not unlock and I can imagine it has to drive some people nuts.

Trophies and cheevos are one of those gaming things I just don't understand the appeal of at all.  Different strokes, etc.

I still have a couple of weeks left on my sub, but my WoW experiment is pretty much officially over as I haven't felt the urge to log on in several days.  Maybe it'd be a different story if I knew other people who played, but the basic gameplay just isn't enjoyable enough for me to use my limited gaming time on it.  I'd much rather play almost any single-player CRPG than WoW.

That sucks Tabe. How deep into the game is the trophy you need?

Ugh, that's terrible to hear Tabe. Which trophy was it? Do you have multiple saves?

I don't have multiple saves.  Even if I did, this particular spot was waaaaay back and I surely would have overwritten it by now.  My characters are now level 390 or so and they were level 70 or so when this glitch occurred.

The trophy pops when you complete the main storyline portion of the game, which took me a long time the first time.  Like 75 hours or something.  I'm sure I could blast through it a lot faster on a second playthrough, just not sure I wanna go that route...

SMASH BROS FOR 3DS is. But let's talk about THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.

I'm currently six dungeons into my first time ever playing this, and it's the first time The Legend of Zelda has ever made sense to me in the way that franchise is regarded. However it makes me really curious, because everything I'm noting as enjoyable about it is something that has totally disappeared in other Zelda games. Before I explain what I mean, here's the short list of Zelda games I have played: this, Link To The Past, Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time.

This is the only Zelda game that feels dangerous. In those other games you can make a -lot- of mistakes and be totally fine. Not true at all about this one. You have to be thoughtful because if you run around just fucking around like it's all good you will get obliterated. Plus, if you are thoughtful, that means you get that many more shots with the full health sword. This is actually really well made behavioral training: the game has both positive reinforcement (ranged attack) and negative reinforcement (death) for carefulness and observation.

It's also really alienating in a fascinating way. Like, if you don't have the manual, it tells you NOTHING about what you're trying to do. And the game reinforces this by having everyone who speaks talk in riddles or nonsense, but when one of those riddles clicks it feels like you are the smartest person to ever smart. That's great. I think that's what the puzzle stuff in modern Zelda games is trying to recreate, but since they put those puzzles in the way of forward progress they have to be easier and visually logical.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I might try Zelda II because I hear that it's dangerous and nonsensical in the same way and I am apparently all about that.

I actually agree with a lot of that, as someone that thinks of the original Zelda as a pretty prime example of what 8-bit gaming could achieve.

Ocarina of Time had many great parts (THAT WATER DUNGEON, I MEAN COME ON), but I honestly thought combat was much too easy and you simply didn't die that much playing it. Plus, you know, no enemies on the overworld map was kind of total bullshit in an otherwise excellent game.

Is anyone playing Shadow of Mordor? I bought it because people said it was like Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham Asylum had a baby and passed down all of their good genes to the child, and I find that to be true. It's a fairly huge game, too. 

Trophies and cheevos are one of those gaming things I just don't understand the appeal of at all.  Different strokes, etc.

I still have a couple of weeks left on my sub, but my WoW experiment is pretty much officially over as I haven't felt the urge to log on in several days.  Maybe it'd be a different story if I knew other people who played, but the basic gameplay just isn't enjoyable enough for me to use my limited gaming time on it.  I'd much rather play almost any single-player CRPG than WoW.

I didn't either....until I Platinum'ed Sly Cooper & Thievenus Raccoonnus from the Sly Collection.

Then it was downhill from there and now I have 27 Platinums.

It's basically OCD planning/collecting about everything.

let's talk about THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.

I'm currently six dungeons into my first time ever playing this, and it's the first time The Legend of Zelda has ever made sense to me in the way that franchise is regarded. However it makes me really curious, because everything I'm noting as enjoyable about it is something that has totally disappeared in other Zelda games. Before I explain what I mean, here's the short list of Zelda games I have played: this, Link To The Past, Minish Cap and Ocarina of Time.

This is the only Zelda game that feels dangerous. In those other games you can make a -lot- of mistakes and be totally fine. Not true at all about this one. You have to be thoughtful because if you run around just fucking around like it's all good you will get obliterated. Plus, if you are thoughtful, that means you get that many more shots with the full health sword. This is actually really well made behavioral training: the game has both positive reinforcement (ranged attack) and negative reinforcement (death) for carefulness and observation.

It's also really alienating in a fascinating way. Like, if you don't have the manual, it tells you NOTHING about what you're trying to do. And the game reinforces this by having everyone who speaks talk in riddles or nonsense, but when one of those riddles clicks it feels like you are the smartest person to ever smart. That's great. I think that's what the puzzle stuff in modern Zelda games is trying to recreate, but since they put those puzzles in the way of forward progress they have to be easier and visually logical.

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I might try Zelda II because I hear that it's dangerous and nonsensical in the same way and I am apparently all about that.

zelda 2 plays completely differently. just a heads up.

i replayed.zelda a couple weeks back. i friggin love that game and wish theyd make a straight up sequel to it. same graphics, same items, the whole enchilada.

It's really weird to me that for all the absolute bullshit licensed games Acclaim pumped out, every once in a while they put together something really ace. Alien 3 and Judge Dredd were fairly similar, but both were games I enjoyed a lot at the time they came out and hold up well enough by the standards of shooty SNES platformers.

IGN's review of Alien Isolation is up: 5.9

That franchise just can't get a good game made.

The scores are all over the place. Seems love it/hate it. If you like survival horror (or if you liked Outlast), you'll probably think it a good game. Review scores (spoilered for length):

Joystiq - 4/5

Game Informer - 7.75

Kotaku - Yes

The Escapist - 4.5/5

CVG - 8/10

IGN - 5.9

Polgyon - 6.5/10

PC Gamer - 93/100

Videogamer - 9/10

Gamespot - 6/10

Eurogamer - 8/10

Destructoid - 8.5/10

TheSixthAxis - 9/10

The Guardian - 5/5

Re: Good games using the Alien/s license, does that arcade version of Aliens vs. Predators that Capcom did count? That game was awesome and is a game that I am sure to sink quarters into whenever I'm at Ground Kontrol.

IGN's review of Alien Isolation is up: 5.9

That franchise just can't get a good game made.

Some caveats about IGN's review:

1) The reviewer admits to playing the game on Hard Mode. Then it complains about the game not being very good (well, reviewer play it on Easy Mode like all the other game reviewers).

2) The reviewer is also the same person that really enjoyed Titanfall for their preview saying stuff like "it's too much for my eyeballs." He also seems to be trying to please Microsoft (for a job there maybe?)

3) It's IGN. They slap scores on games after playing it for maybe 30 minutes to an hour tops.

What I've been doing is using the "Live From PlayStation" feature to watch streams of this and DriveClub. Based on what I've seen of both: Wait on getting those games.