DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2024

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

ll Out moved to September 7th.

But not outta Chicago, which is nice for those who value that tradition.

Semi-related: I'm curious to see what's gonna be up with next year's DoN since WM is also in Vegas only like a month before - obviously lots can change before next spring time, but as it stands now, I don't see a world where attendance isn't at least partially affected

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Aw, boo.  My wife really wants to go and it would have been much easier when I had Monday off.

Oh wow, I completely forgot this is usually based around Labor Day weekend - it sucks you guys can't make it, but I think overall it'll be a net positive to have a little more distance between this show and Wembley the month prior. This may be a convo better suited for the finance thread, but as with the WM/Vegas thing I said above, I really hope the gate isn't affected too much by other folks who aren't able to travel in.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dragonzombie said:

Per Fightful, Mark Henry's AEW contract ends this month.

What do Henry and Big Show do for the company?  Henry was doing commentary on one of the b shows? The canceled internet show maybe?

Cavematch has Show wrestling seven matches in AEW since 2021.  Does he do promotion or work backstage? Vwhy is he even wrestling?  Didn’tv get get hop replacements near the end of his WWE run?

Lol, I feel like Show will end up on a Death of AEW documentary in 20 years.  

Edited by madl

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, madl said:

What do Henry and Big Show do for the company?  Henry was doing commentary on one of the b shows? The canceled internet show maybe?

Cavematch has Show wrestling seven matches in AEW since 2021.  Does he do promotion or work backstage? Vwhy is he even wrestling?  Didn’tv get get hop replacements near the end of his WWE run?

Lol, I feel like Show will end up on a Death of AEW documentary in 20 years.  

For Mark, I had to check some stuff online, psychology coach I guess. But the info is from Mark Henry himself from months ago.

Edited by dragonzombie

I feel like WWE would put him in their HoF as soon as next year if he came back.  

As an apology for ...all that... if for nothing else. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Oh wow, I completely forgot this is usually based around Labor Day weekend - it sucks you guys can't make it, but I think overall it'll be a net positive to have a little more distance between this show and Wembley the month prior. This may be a convo better suited for the finance thread, but as with the WM/Vegas thing I said above, I really hope the gate isn't affected too much by other folks who aren't able to travel in.

Oh, if my wife wants to go you better believe we're still going, I'll just kvetch about having to use a vacation day.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I feel like WWE would put him in their HoF as soon as next year if he came back.  

As an apology for ...all that... if for nothing else. 

I hope his speech ends with a level 10 Michael Hayes public shaming, and X-Pac being legally forced to serve him an untainted meatball parmagiana.

Dead serious: Henry almost singlehandedly changed my taste in wrestling (in a secondhand way) because of my early days lurking here.

If it wasn't for the Hall of Pain stuff (and boy, does that HOF merch sell itself) and all of the great 'air bill' jokes and such, there's a very, very real chance I'd still be sitting here going on and on about how no one could ever touch RVD vs Jerry or something of that ilk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, madl said:

Cavematch has Show wrestling seven matches in AEW since 2021. 

Damn autocorrect, now I want to see a Cave Match.

I think the last time we saw Show at all was when he got slammed onto a car and vanished forever. Mark Henry's AEW legacy for me will be going "Wowwwww" during CM Punk's return.

Oh, I almost forgot! "IT'S TIME FOR THE MAIN EVENT!" They should have been doing that on Dynamite since I never watch the other weekly shows on TV.

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think, just for Hobbs' sake, Wight never comes back from the DEVASTATING SUPLEX OF DOOM ONTO THE CAR.

I'm still waiting for God damn HOBBS to come back from that! Obviously he's hurt and all now, but that really, really should've been the thing that propelled him to the next level. Absolutely no offense intended to THE GIANT, but that seems like the exact sort of thing his signing was supposed to accompish - turning a young big guy into a made man.

When Hobbs is healthy and ready to return, if I were AEW, I would very seriously consider just ignoring everything that came after that slam. Have him throw to the footage in a promo, pick up where you left off, and have him knock off like, Lance Archer, Killswitch, JD Drake, Bear Boulder, and a few other big guys like that over the next few weeks until the crowd is ready to make (let's say) a newly turned Wardlow, or a returning Miro into the the babyface antidote (or fuck it, keep the train moving and have him come up just slightly short against Swerve/Edge/whoever has either of those titles by then)

When you have HOF quotas to fill, some people may get in, either before they would be expected to or at all. 

I love non WWF Koko (especially in Memphis and UWF, but I don't know if I'd say he had a HOF career. 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

When you have HOF quotas to fill, some people may get in, either before they would be expected to or at all. 

I love non WWF Koko (especially in Memphis and UWF, but I don't know if I'd say he had a HOF career. 

I didn't think of this til you posted it (and this is highly off topic) but next year's class would be the first not picked/approved by Vince, right? I mean it's a work and whatever but it might be interesting to see what kind of names pop up

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I didn't think of this til you posted it (and this is highly off topic) but next year's class would be the first not picked/approved by Vince, right? I mean it's a work and whatever but it might be interesting to see what kind of names pop up

This year's was, if Paul Heyman was to be believed.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

They can put him in again when they induct the Nation of Domination 🤣

But that would mean possibly inducting Owen, right? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colonial said:

And after the weather, poor Anthony has to answer 4-5 variations of the same question from the anchor.

I'm so glad they're doing more of this, though - it's sorely needed