DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2024 - Do You Wanna Ride In My Mercedes Boy?

Ah, what a week for All Elite. 

The return of the Lionheart! Eddie Kingston got a challenger! And the tag team tournament!   WOW!

Here's what's on tap for this week!

GI-C2q9WsAAqErr?format=jpg&name=large
Also, some rearrangement in the AEW corporate structure?  Eh, whatever, I'll be over here vibin'...

Spoiler

Be sure to google TLC and Pebbles to see just how well she took care of the Mercedes she bought!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ah, what a week for All Elite. 

The return of the Lionheart! Eddie Kingston got a challenger! And the tag team tournament!   WOW!

Here's what's on tap for this week!

GI-C2q9WsAAqErr?format=jpg&name=large
Also, some rearrangement in the AEW corporate structure?  Eh, whatever, I'll be over here vibin'...

Reveal hidden contents

Be sure to google TLC and Pebbles to see just how well she took care of the Mercedes she bought!

God dammit thanks for putting that song in my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Eddie will still have the ROH title to defend against Mark, the NJPW Strong title too. Okada is only challenging for the Continental Championship not the full “Triple Crown”

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Eddie will still have the ROH title to defend against Mark, the NJPW Strong title too. Okada is only challenging for the Continental Championship not the full “Triple Crown”

Uggggh.  So we're going backwards with regard to having too many titles.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sublime said:

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Uggggh.  So we're going backwards with regard to having too many titles.

This. Draw of the AEW Continental Championship was having that, the ROH World Championship and NJPW Strong Championship as one alongside the visuals like the AJPW Triple Crown Championship/J-Crown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

God dammit thanks for putting that song in my head.

A Pebbles song?

Aging Yourself 101 by Dolfan.

• Haha 4

Repeat after me guys, there is no Triple Crown. It’s only that because Eddie has three titles. It’s not a singular championship comprised of multiple titles, like how it was in All Japan. Put anyone in Eddie’s place in the tournament last year, and someone would still win the Continental title.

I still think it was a mistake to make that entire tournament for a title in addition to a trophy. It should’ve been a trophy + #1 contender status for the World title.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

This. Draw of the AEW Continental Championship was having that, the ROH World Championship and NJPW Strong Championship as one alongside the visuals like the AJPW Triple Crown Championship/J-Crown.

Right!  Killing it off three months after it was unified is ridiculous.  Maybe every year, the three champions will put their belts in the pile for the Continental Classic.

So AEW has the four men's singles belts on their TV, not counting the ROH belts. 

• World
  • TNT
  • International
  • Continental

Worse, it's not like any of them are "gimmick" belts like Pure, Hardcore, UWFI Rules, whatever.  What is the point of the Continental title as opposed to the International title?  I love AEW but this is a shitshow.

EDIT: @Casey thanks for the clarification.  While the Eddie thing made for a great storyline for the tournament, it really muddied everything regarding what the tournament was actually for.  And I completely agree that it didn't need to be for an actual new championship.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

A Pebbles song?

Aging Yourself 101 by Dolfan.

The other option for this week was taken by AEW themselves, so, you can blame them for this not being "Mo Moné, Mo Problems"

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Right!  Killing it off three months after it was unified is ridiculous.  Maybe every year, the three champions will put their belts in the pile for the Continental Classic.

So AEW has the four men's singles belts on their TV, not counting the ROH belts. 

• World
  • TNT
  • International
  • Continental

Worse, it's not like any of them are "gimmick" belts like Pure, Harecore, UWFI Rules, whatever.  What is the point of the Continental title as opposed to the International title?  I love AEW but this is a shitshow.

EDIT: @Casey thanks for the clarification.  While the Eddie thing made for a great storyline for the tournament, it really muddied everything regarding what the tournament was actually for.  And I completely agree that it didn't need to be for an actual new championship.

It should be noted that, yeah, every defense so far as been for the “Triple Crown”, but obviously all three have not been explicitly merged since the last few weeks of AEW/ROH shows have shown that Eddie will have to defend the individual titles. I think TK realized that anyone who beats Eddie will have to appear on ROH at least a few times a year and you don’t pay Okada (or, at the time, Danielson, from a few weeks ago) millions of dollars to be on an internet show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

• World
  • TNT
  • International
  • Continental

Worse, it's not like any of them are "gimmick" belts like Pure, Harecore, UWFI Rules, whatever.  What is the point of the Continental title as opposed to the International title?  I love AEW but this is a shitshow.

Agreed huge - I almost didn't want to address it because I feel like folks are probably getting tired of me complaining about it, but yeah, this needs to be dealt with swiftly. Rankings returning were a good step, but it's still too damn muddy.

If I had the pencil tomorrow, the move is:

1) ROH belt back to ROH and my God, only ROH

2) Bring Hacksaw in for a cameo, and throw that Strong belt right in the f'n garbage (Just kidding... send it back to your partners in a respectful and constructive manner. Probably DHL)

3) Continental title and International title are unified into the AEW Intercontinental title.

4) I go back to complaining about the white ropes instead 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For fuck's sake. This is all too stupid for words. Why did they even HAVE a tournament? 

Actually I have a theory here. Tony, if he had his druthers, would have used that tournament to crown an AEW World Heavyweight Champion and because he couldn't do that for many many reasons he drummed up the Triple Crown to do his thing anyway. It's just his own fantasy booking... or, if you will, March Madness.

• Like 1

Just wanna say we have 16 women wrestling tonight along with the appearance from the CEO. Women’s division is really coming along, combining gaijin imports from Japan, top indie stars, and homegrown talent.

Kingston-Okada feels really rushed, but I’ll enjoy the match.

The “I quit” match should have a lot of color.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed huge - I almost didn't want to address it because I feel like folks are probably getting tired of me complaining about it, but yeah, this needs to be dealt with swiftly. Rankings returning were a good step, but it's still too damn muddy.

Rankings seem to be gone again already.  Which is fine, because they just make a bad situation worse.  Multiple singles titles have no kayfabe reason to exist, and then you have the ratings on top of it?  Like is there a top 5 for each of the four belts?  Then you'd need to rank those belts in order of importance, which they're not doing.  And if not, then is, say, the Continental title automatically the #3 contender to the world belt?  It's just a fucking mess. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Rankings seem to be gone again alread

Damn! I feel super dumb for not even noticing (I've missed I think a single Rampage since they were reintroduced, too, it's not like I haven't been watching). Guess they couldn't have been that important, then..