DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Poor Mark Davis. Don doesn't mention him, Will doesn't mention him, SirFozzie doesn't even mention him 😄

Cuz we all know I'm Tony Khan in a big man suit.

I wish I was, actually. 😉

Smiled seeing Sting descend from the rafters. September 1996-December 1997 Crow Sting is my favourite even above Surfer Sting. When I first started watching wrestling as a 5 year old, Bret Hart and Sting were my favourites.

• Like 2

This was pretty easy to sum up:

Damn you, Hangman!

Goddamn you, Danielson!

Damn you to hell, Christian Cage, and you even more Roddy!

Dammit, Stooley! You messed up, too!

Young Bucks? Yeah, fuck those guys!

...Oh, and Jericho, you are OK, this time!

Edited by Shartnado
Lion Heart!

Will Ospreay isn't a guy that should be booked to outsmart people. He's a dumb guy. He's like Davey Boy dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Will Ospreay isn't a guy that should be booked to outsmart people. He's a dumb guy. He's like Davey Boy dumb.

That was pretty obvious when he said he lost his luggage on the way to US. He probably just let go of the handle, got confused and then grabbed it again and was like "phew, I  found it!"

That being said, dumb or not, I can see people cheering for him making him do things that will go against the wishes of Callis. He's not outsmarting anyone, rather kinda outdumbing them by accident.

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I used to like their early stuff, you know, Sunday Bloody Sunday?  But when they hit that Zooropa phase, I tuned out.

(this is for @Nice Guy Eddie)

And New Year's Day. That song is basically all I listen to from U2. Sunday Bloody Sunday is definitely worth listening to, as well.

• Like 2

Nick Wayne's Theme Song is something..."About to leave with the title and somebody's daughter" is pretty good for a 18 year old guys theme.

Loved FTRKingston vs BCC

Atlantis Jr/Jericho was tough to watch at times.

Never a fan of the "Repel from the cealing" after Owen, but as a 1 time for Sting, OK.

I was going to buy the PPV anyway but this was a good kickoff to "go home week" (Collision is the actual go home show)

• Like 3

The Hangman/Joe/Swerve stuff was good. I bought the beginning but once Hangman was in the ring still I knew he was attacking. 

Skye/Stat was good! For a second, I considered the decision making of throwing Skye into a group of guys but obviously they were plants so it's cool.

Jericho is washed up. That was painful. Does he even have it in him to make someone on his way out? I mean, that's what he should be used for, right?

Lots of CMLL guys on Rampage. Looking forward to seeing new to me wrestlers. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dokdoyle said:

Never a fan of the "Repel from the cealing" after Owen, but as a 1 time for Sting, OK.

Yeah it's understandably difficult not to have the thought, but the apparatus they had him in appeared to be super secure at least on TV, it was like a full upper-body vest (as opposed to poor Owen who was basically hanging by a keychain). I have no doubt they tested, re-tested, and tested again

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah it's understandably difficult not to have the thought, but the apparatus they had him in appeared to be super secure at least on TV, it was like a full upper-body vest (as opposed to poor Owen who was basically hanging by a keychain). I have no doubt they tested, re-tested, and tested again

I commented similar on FB, the Owen tragedy was entirely avoidable if WWF hasn’t taken a number of shortcuts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Log said:

Thought the boy was asleep at the end of the show, but he shot up when Sting came down from the ceiling. He'd never seen that before.

That was the first time my girlfriend saw it live on TV, and she also went from a state of maybe-sleep to "holy shit!" (She had only ever seen it while I was getting high to monsoon classics or whatever)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That was pretty obvious when he said he lost his luggage on the way to US. He probably just let go of the handle, got confused and then grabbed it again and was like "phew, I  found it!"

Legit LOL. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah, full vest. No doubt everything was thoroughly tested then again and again.

37 minutes ago, Log said:

Thought the boy was asleep at the end of the show, but he shot up when Sting came down from the ceiling. He'd never seen that before.

I enjoy the Little Log updates.

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I commented similar on FB, the Owen tragedy was entirely avoidable if WWF hasn’t taken a number of shortcuts.

Maddening. Don't cheap out like that. BS the show continued as well.

25 minutes ago, Log said:

It also looked like Sting's harness didn't have a self-release. I thought I saw Darby unhook it for him.

I noticed that too. In WCW, Sting sometimes had a self release while other times he didn't if I remember rightly.

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was the first time my girlfriend saw it live on TV, and she also went from a state of maybe-sleep to "holy shit!" (She had only ever seen it while I was getting high to monsoon classics or whatever)

Aww.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Damn near every seg had something to do with progressing an angle.  It's like TK lurks in various places and takes the criticism.

Will Osprey is this close to needing subtitles.

Don Callis has good comedic instincts.  I LOL'd at him trying to diffuse the tension between Takeshita and Osprey when the fans were chanting for Osprey.  It was Heenanesque.

Apparently during the six man, somebody wiped out the table and the announcers had their drinks spilled all over them, leading to this exchange:
Schiavone: I have to go into the ring for an interview next, looking like I wet myself!
Tazz: That's normal for you, Tony.

It may have been during the Atlantis/Jericho match...one wrestler went up top and Excalibur is just on this long, impassioned call of the action.  He lays out for someone else to contribute and Tony just says, "yep."  Excalibur fucking BROKE on that one.

All the Eddie stuff in the six man was amazing.  Everything else was kinda meh. I just don't like FTR.  I feel like their "we're just old school guys aw shucks" thing is ridiculous, because their wrestling feels so performative and without actual weight.  It's like they're just checking all the boxes of guys working an old school gimmick.  All the criticism leveled at "indy guys" can be applied to FTR, but they get a pass because they name drop Crockett wrestlers.

LOOOOOL @ Osprey's "track pants tucked into gym socks" look

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey here's a thought, Jericho worked AAA back in the day too, is there a Jr. or Hijo in that federation he could face as well? 

I don't know a ton about current lucha outside of what/who's been on AEW TV lately, but El Hijo del L.A. Park might be a cool one

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey here's a thought, Jericho worked AAA back in the day too, is there a Jr. or Hijo in that federation he could face as well? 

Jericho was a good-looking guy back then. There may be some Hijo del Corozon de Leons wrestling somewhere in Mexico right now.

• Haha 5