DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 52nd Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup/Sakura Genesis 2024.

The Natural

Tetsuya Naito vs. SHO on the 52nd Anniversary Show, 6th March. My birthday.

NJPW Cup bracket:

https://www.njpw1972.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/英語600400.png

6th March-20th March.

Winner faces Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship at Sakura Genesis, 6th April. Nic Nemeth defends the IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi on the same show.

I love me some Tanahashi, but there is no way he should be in contention for any titles at this point in his career. Seeing him "running" across the ring is painful. I'd make it Tsuji or another young up and comer that Nic can put under his wing like Mox did with Shooter. No matter what you think of Shota's booking, the relationship with Mox has helped

Is there anyone doing a Fantasy Bracket challenge for the New Japan Cup?

Edited by dokdoyle
added NJC question
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:32 PM, dokdoyle said:

I love me some Tanahashi, but there is no way he should be in contention for any titles at this point in his career. Seeing him "running" across the ring is painful. I'd make it Tsuji or another young up and comer that Nic can put under his wing like Mox did with Shooter. No matter what you think of Shota's booking, the relationship with Mox has helped

Is there anyone doing a Fantasy Bracket challenge for the New Japan Cup?

I love Hiroshi Tanahashi too, he's in my top ten Greatest Wrestlers of All Time but it's sad seeing him like this.

Imagine being giftwrapped a talented wrestler who actually draws attention to your stale, star-bereft shows and thinking, “I’m going to attach this guy to the shittiest thing we’ve got so when people check in to see him, they’ll see just how truly shitty we can be.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Yeah the only reason to put him in this faction is unless it is going to be completely changed in a different image because even they realize it sucks .  Which from all accounts is the complete opposite and they think this group is good.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Could be they're trying to make a bad group better, but are just gonna end up making a solid worker bad.

They've already done that once with SHO (and are doing it a second time with Narita).  Third time's the charm?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Best case scenario: Jack gets to sit under the learning tree of Dick motherfucking Togo!

When he made the appearance at the Strong show, I thought that he'd created a little buzz for himself, sort of like what Steen was able to do in ROH with his quasi feud with Cornette. But putting him in with HOT (and I'm not even so much knocking the group here) makes him just another American who went over there and got shunted into one of the factions.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:51 PM, EVA said:

Chase Owens defeating Ishii is the new worst thing Gedo has ever done.

Yeah, I'm fine with the Jack Perry thing, I've been enjoying HOT a bit more since Kanemaru and Narita joined, but Chase over Ishii is bullshit. I know he's a tag champ (why, though?!) and Ishii isn't pushed, but they know what they have in Ishii, he always seems to be one of the first names in demand for Rev Pro and AEW shows, and I don't get why they wouldn't want to maximise him when two of the best wrestlers in the world have left the company. If he's going to lose in the first round, at least let him have a 15 minute banger with one of the young guys, but nope, they're losing in the first round too for some fucking reason. Bastards had better put the big boy belt on ZSJ soon.

Edited by SturmCRF

I think, judging from his last appearance in AEW, that Ishii is starting to wind down. He's not as rough as the other NJ guys hanging on but dude started in '96. If he can elevate some younger guys then good on him, I suppose.

Yeah I assume they just want to spare Ishii that many singles matches in a relatively short period of time, he's likely a mortal lock for the G1 if healthy so you gotta spare him a bit here and there.