DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

That main event was exactly what it should've been: Fun, with the right man going over. It was the complete exact opposite of Summerslam and it wasn't a slog like some of Roman's main events can be. Yeah, there was a shit ton of booking in it, but the work itself between Cody and Roman was fantastic. 

Iyo and Bayley had the best match I've seen so far this weekend. Bayley fucking rules, man. That's gotta be a top-five match for her and it was definitely Iyo's best match on U.S. soil. She was great in this match, too, and I hope this isn't the first and last big title run for her. 

Lastly, Bull Nakano looked every bit the goddamn queen that she is, but of course, production missed most of her nunchuk work. Her speech at the Hall of Fame was fantastic, though. So glad she got in. 

• Like 3

My top five WrestleMania XL matches:

5. Rhea Ripley vs. Becky Lynch. WrestleMania XL, 6th April 2024.

4. Drew McIntyre vs. Seth Rollins. WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2024.

3. Bayley vs. IYO SKY. WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2024.

2. Sami Zayn vs. Gunther. WrestleMania XL, 6th April 2024.

1. Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns. WrestleMania XL. 7th April 2024.

It's close between the top three. Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns and Sami Zayn vs. Gunther get bonus marks for historical significance.

Not much to say other than it was Cody’s time and that I hope Roman gets his flowers for this title run and it isn’t forgotten in the transition to this new era. 

Mania did a great job of further setting up the inevitable Punk/Drew feud but where does Priest go from here? Can’t see him having the belt for long. My hopes for the summer are a tribal chief face run, and also Drew/Punk and Cody/Randy for the belts.

Interesting week ahead on Raw and Smackdown and even Dynamite (who might pop a rating for a week with some BACKSTAGE FOOTAGE~!).

• Like 1

I’ll have to rewatch it to be sure, but I feel that there was something very unique about the audience reaction when Cody beat Roman. There was the standard 1-2-3 crowd count-along, but the subsequent pop after that was 10x the reaction, like a good portion just wouldn’t believe it until it happened, and then everyone exploded into a sheer combination of relief that this story was over and they could see something else starting tomorrow, genuine happiness for Cody, and a joyful feeling that Vince is truly gone.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

If you really want to get into meta booking, Taker debuted against Dusty, managed by Bruce Pritchard!

Multiple. Connections. Love it!

• Like 2

When Seth came out with his second crazy outfit of the weekend with the Mummers parade, I told the girls, "This is why I love pro wrestling - crazy stuff like this."

Michael Cole delivered the best single-match performance by an announcer in a long time. He was openly rooting for Cody to win, which you're not supposed to do, but he couldn't help himself. He hit "Finish the Story" on the three-count, and after the match, he mentioned that he's known Cody since he was a kid and declared his love for pro wrestling.

For all the years he was overproduced by Vince in the headset, Cole summed it up perfectly by saying, "Sometimes, this business gets you right in the heart." That heart was often missing in WWE, but it was there last night at the perfect time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Cody Rhodes:

When asked what he would want to say to his father, he said: "I hope that I lived up to your name, and thank you for that name. And then I would say sorry for the tattoo.”

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Adrenaline in my soul.

Cody's going for double gold.

Will he finish the story?

Woah oh!

Adrenaline in my soul.

Cody Rhodes won the gold.

Did it for Dusty and Mama Rhodes.

Woah oh!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Shoutout to Seth though for dying his hair for the SHIELD bit 

I noticed that too. At first, I thought it was just guys dressed like the SHIELD in some Russo-style swerve.

Still laughing at Roman Reigns reaction to using Cross Rhodes on Cody for a two count: "I knew it. That move sucks!" I just wanted to shove it in his face!" "I love whooping his ass!"

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Still laughing at Roman Reigns reaction to using Cross Rhodes on Cody for a two count: "I knew it. That move sucks!" I just wanted to shove it in his face!" "I love whooping his ass!"

Between that and putting the table back under the ring really made me think I’d been missing the boat on Roman.

• Like 1

Roman was great the whole night yelling at the fans. And putting away the table was my favorite spot (and the safest to boot) part of the ngiht.

• Like 3

Roman Reigns held the WWE Universal Championship for 1,316 days. That's a milestone I never thought we'd see again. A 1,000 days world title reign. We won't again. Staggering statistic. One reign, four consecutive WrestleMania's. Reigns held the WWE Championship for 735 days also.

Edited by The Natural

My top ten Roman Reigns as Undisputed WWE Universal Champion matches:

10. Roman Reigns/Solo Sikoa vs. Jey Uso/Jimmy Uso. WWE Money in the Bank, 1st July 2023.

9. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins. WWE Royal Rumble, 29th January 2022.

8. Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso. WWE Hell in a Cell, 25th October 2020.

7. Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar. WWE SummerSlam, 30th July 2022.

6. Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Edge. WWE WrestleMania XXXVII, 11th April 2021.

5. Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes. WWE WrestleMania XXXIX, 2nd April 2021.

4. Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn. WWE Elimination Chamber, 18th February 2023.

3. Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso. WWE Clash of Champions, 27th September 2020.

2. Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes. WWE WrestleMania XL, 7th April 2021.

1. Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan. WWE Smackdown Live, 30th April 2021. *****.

Just now, Godfrey said:

Do you think that person got their selfie with the Rock?

I wonder. Felt sorry for the poor people behind the muppet with giant head cutouts. So inconsiderate.

• Like 1