DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/21 - 2/27/2024 - Rhythm of My Julia Hart

1 hour ago, YouHaveUntil5 said:

A friend of mine texted me about The Chisel a couple weeks ago and about 30 seconds into the first song I listened to I said “oh, they’re like The Business, ok.”

Well... yeah, pretty much haha. I consider that to be a pretty high compliment myself. 

3 hours ago, JLowe said:

Doing the time honored tradition before following Andrade?

I mean, he's under contract until 2027. So I doubt it. 

Edited by Just Dave
  • Sad 1

Every now and then, when we're watching Dynamite, Rampage or Collision, my dad will hit me with some sort of comment that I'm not expecting and make me bust out laughing. Last night on Rampage during Roddy vs. Hager, this was what he came out with. "A few more of these throws and Roddy is going to need that neckbrace again."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, JLowe said:

Doing the time honored tradition before following Andrade?

Sorry to quote you twice, but apparently there was a wreddit thread this week about how Malakai never wrestles singles matches. I’d like to think TK is above spite booking, but it’s certainly a thing…

• Like 1

I was wondering why Matt Sydal was teaming with Private Party, when he had previously been Top Flight's third man. Now, if they wanted to spin it that he was upset that they dumped him in favour of Action Andretti, that would make sense, but we haven't seen or heard anything that would lead us to think that. Although, if we had, that would mean we would have had to have a Matt Sydal promo taking up TV time, so it's all good.

Rampage was hit and miss, mostly miss for me.

Trios was pretty messy, and seeing Penta meant the finish was a foregone conclusion. Komander did some cool stuff. Darius and Bryan Keith looked a lot alike, about the same height, same braids, Keith has a slightly larger build, but they matched up well. Sydal was odd guy out and Penta tried to kill him twice (pretty sure the apron botch rang his bell some and led to the springboard botch). Private Party don’t really interest me anymore. In my perfect world, Top Flight go back to tag team and chase the ROH titles they were supposed to win. Komander keeps doing cool shit. Not sure how to book Bryan Keith but I like him. Speaking of, you can see how 13 years on the indies makes a huge difference in Keith versus the super green Andretti.

Guevara doesn’t apologize for breaking his idol’s face. Ok. I FFWD through this, Callis at this point draws a ton of heat for himself but is total death as far as angles.

Why do we need Saraya’s brother? I guess she can be his manager. I don’t know, I assume this is for All In but I was under the impression he kinda sucks?

Half watched the Bucks match. It is interesting how they’ve varied their style some to be heelish.

Mariah May has superstar potential. Hot, talented, stiff wrestler, good at getting character across in the ring. Good match. I’m hoping they don’t rush the angle with her and Toni splitting.

Would they actually run a Skye Bkue-Stokely match?

Main was alright, I don’t care much for Hager but he was working hard and there were some good comedy bits. Of course, one of those involved the action in the ring stopping dead for over a minute which I hate. Figured OC would get involved, but also expected the mascot to be a wrestler.

From what I’ve been reading, ROH would be a far better use of my time than Rampage recently.

• Like 4

I hope everything is ok in Hangman's life and he has whatever support he needs, but from a storytelling perspective, Hangman Frank-Grimes-ing his way out of the title match is a pretty logical wrap-up. I can break into someone's house and everyone will still cheer me because I'm Swerve Strickland. If he was gonna do the fake leg injury, doing it by failing on a cinder block stomp would've been the way to go, though. It's time to strap up Swerve anyway, and going back to the Hangman well so soon has been a drag on his ascent. Joe talks the talk as a champion, but AEW needs 2005 Joe at the top, not 2024 Joe. The Sting spectacle gives the ppv enough juice that they don't need to push Joe into working a longer match. A good 10-minute sprint with Swerve working face and winning clean will be just fine.

Speaking of Frank Grimes, though, Wardlow airing all of his very legitimate grievances with his booking only to have Excalibur announce that he will be in a match called "Meat Mayhem" right after was good stuff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Two members of the Knight family in AEW, and still Kip Sabian is still the best AEW wrestler from Norfolk.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Like the whole dead father thing isn't tasteless as is. Doing it while Sting did that was over the line, huh? 😄 Christian wants to know about your dads, all of you.

I want Joe to keep the belt as much as anyone but can't help but thing him on the chase, destroying people left and right would be more interesting.

• Like 2

- Guevara/Hobbs started everything off really hot and was a fine spotfest. Lots of nasty table spills. Unfortunately Kelly did not either get pansed or whipped after the belt came off. I was really nervous about Sammy's crazy ass not closing that one table leg sticking up, who knows what can happen, the ref should have taken care of that too no matter which direction he's coming off of the ladder from. Be fine if this was a one-and-done really. 

- FTR/Taylor Ent. was good but I just watched off and on. Rosa match was a squash but Lady Bird Monroe seems athletic. The only thing I cared about from the Scissor Bangers match was when Caster just stopped rapping: 

Image of Are you quitting on me?

which was hilarious, and the one Iron Savage taking the Rocker Dropper, then getting up and bumping backwards over the top for no reason which was some Shawn Michaels shit. What was apparently Dragon's new raincoat was hilariously cheap looking. 

- Black vs. Keith was better than the Eddie match by leaps and bounds. It ratcheted up the stiffness in increments and gave Keith a sound look at a possible win before eating the Headkick of Doom. Dunno where they're going with Chicken vs. HOB but I suggest a Spike on a Pole match. 

- Deeb/Frost started off ice cold (pardon the pun) but they gradually got the crowd into it. Very methodically paced match with a lot of elaborate setups, however, which was hard to bring to the table to follow the last match. I could watch Lady Frost do the dishes, but that's neither here nor there. Serena didn't exactly kill on the mic this time but the jabs at the rest of the division were nice. 

- Akiyama and Dragon... did not impress? Wow, that's something I did not expect to write. After the bar was set with the tag match and Black match this was way way too loosey-goosey to look up to snuff. Both guys hit some absolutely business exposing knees. Both of them seemed to slip and fall off the apron soon as the commercial break hit. Nothing really got into second gear overall and not even the Busaiku knee looked good. Akiyama looked surprisingly huge size-wise, however, and the end with Dragon getting slapped and then hitting UN FOULE~! was nice. 

• Like 3

I saw a few people saying this re: Danielson/Akiyama and like... did everyone forget that Jun is 54? He's held up very well given the age and how physical a style he worked for the first half of his career but he is only gonna be able to give you so much anymore. I thought the match was fine given that.

• Like 7