DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/14 - 2/20/2024 - When A Hangman Loves A Woman

Sammy v Jeff was fun. Accidents will happen. If the botch grounds Sammy's game that might be good for him. I remember Dean, on the money as he always was, praising Sammy's mat work from a TV match he was reviewing. I'm more annoyed at the insistence of him being pushed as a babyface. I wonder if Hobbs will be cheered in their eventual match. Brian Cage promo was solid. Very much looking forward to that 6 man. Private Party promo was okay. Not great, but they may figure it out with some reps. How about a few more in ROH too? Mox/Claudio promo was fun. Did Claudio suggest Mox was thinking about Renee's glutes? Slight misfire, but we're all the better for it. FTR v BCC is a goddamn dream come true. Ruby/Angelo/Saraya promos should have been handled all in one segment. Harley rules. She and Saraya need a worker protege. I skimmed the Dustin/Von Erichs squash. Von Erichs need proper reps. Toni/Mariah promo was their usual awesome. They brighten up any show they're on at this point. Amanita v Jay was good solid action. Anna's really tightened up her game in the last year. Huge win and great post match - AEW style! Willow/Kris/Stoke promo was fine. I'm hoping Stat goes heel, but I'm also cool with the two of them dumping Stoke on the way to an AEW tag title win (as posted earlier). I skimmed the 12 man. That's too many ppl. The Acclaimed are bringing Jay and the Asses into their shitty vortex. Still, fun show. I like the commitment to promos on Friday nights. It's a great way to get the 'big stars' in. I wonder if the show might benefit from the vibe Renee being the host, or Master of Ceremonies, might bring? I don't mean a commentator. BTW great to hear Daddy Magic on the call! Rampage baby!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

I missed that, what did he say?

Tony for some reason pronounces Sonjay's last name like DOOT and my mind (and Excalibur's) immediately went to Narduwar's signature sign-off.   He briefly mentions the name, and Tony and Daddy Magic unsurprisingly have no clue (nor would I expect them to).  

Moments like that are why I cherish the fact that AEW exists.  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

Tony for some reason pronounces Sonjay's last name like DOOT and my mind (and Excalibur's) immediately went to Narduwar's signature sign-off.   He briefly mentions the name, and Tony and Daddy Magic unsurprisingly have no clue (nor would I expect them to).  

Moments like that are why I cherish the fact that AEW exists.  

I guess Daddy Magic being from French Canadia is why he didn’t recognize the Canadian radio legend.

A few years ago, The Evaporators were playing at South by Southwest and I went to one of their daytime shows. I was dancing so hard that eventually Nardwuar called me out and made me get up front and dance with/by them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

No, he was "big mad" that the entire interview/segment was completely stupid and counterproductive as it:

A) Presented the rantings of idiots like Corny as the babyface position

B) Was centered around promoting the guy headlining your competitor's biggest show of the year

C) After getting destroyed in a super heavy angle the week before Darby comes out like he was totally fine.

The Bucks whole deal right now is that they're annoying little shits who brag and throw around their vanity titles like it really means something. Darby's promo basically pointed out that they're actually really bad at their jobs, passing on talent like him and preferring to hire their buddies. No, the "Not Kenny Omega" line wasn't necessary, but it wasn't really that out there.  If the Bucks are the heels, then shouldn't people who oppose and dislike them be construed as babyfaces? I'd be shocked if anyone was even thinking about Cornette when Darby was out there yelling at them.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess Daddy Magic being from French Canadia is why he didn’t recognize the Canadian radio legend.

A few years ago, The Evaporators were playing at South by Southwest and I went to one of their daytime shows. I was dancing so hard that eventually Nardwuar called me out and made me get up front and dance with/by them.

Daddy Magic:  "I don't get it."

Excalibur: "You're Canadian and you don't know who Narduwar is?" 

Excalibur covered all the (nerd) bases!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

god forbid someone  Dave throw some shade or criticizes Dave's his sons 

Small edit for better accuracy. I think you'll find more than a little shade on 'Dave's sons' on a weekly basis. I sometimes wonder if Dave's praise of his 'sons' is enough reason for most to hate on Nicholas and Matthew.

13 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

Daddy Magic:  "I don't get it."

Excalibur: "You're Canadian and you don't know who Narduwar is?" 

Excalibur covered all the (nerd) bases!  

Nardwuar was all over Much Music, but I guess he didn't cross over to the Quebec French language version, MusiquePlus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Small edit for better accuracy. I think you'll find more than a little shade on 'Dave's sons' on a weekly basis. I sometimes wonder if Dave's praise of his 'sons' is enough reason for most to hate on Nicholas and Matthew.

I'm not sure, but I have to admit, while I'm not a Bucks fan by any means(despite enjoying their matches for the most part), the vitriol directed at them is borderline fanatical and concerning.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm not sure, but I have to admit, while I'm not a Bucks fan by any means(despite enjoying their matches for the most part), the vitriol directed at them is borderline fanatical and concerning.  

The concerning vitriol seems like partially a result of making themselves 'reality' 'stars' on youtube. I rarely watched BTE, and wonder if avoiding it assisted my interest in them. Mostly I just love their character and ring work. I've yet to read good criticism (and I'm interested) that doesn't play on something they did prior to AEW. That said, I certainly do get preferences in only liking certain wrestling styles. BTE and Meltzer-praise aside, ppl also think they actually know the Jacksons from watching them on television in a way that is distorted. Like how my Mom couldn't stand Jason Alexander from his heel role in Pretty Woman. Or how others hate him by assuming he's George Costanza. As people, since that's part of the argument against them, I'll take the opinion of the Bucks' peers which seems pretty unanimously positive outside the senior circuit with their WO conspiracies. Also, when you look around at the idiocy (of some wrestling fans) that comes out over actual serious matters it kinda makes sense that ppl would hate the Bucks for frivlous reasons rather than their abilities. Ppl hate TK in a way that feels concerning too. Oh, the joys of celebrity!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I've yet to read good criticism (and I'm interested) that doesn't play on something they did prior to AEW.

I could tell you the same criticisms people have been saying about them their whole AEW run (repetitive and boring matches with no psychology, no charisma, poor aesthetics, etc) but the response from the Bucks and their fans alike is always that our opinion isn't valid because we just don't "get it". And when you've been watching wrestling for decades and like a lot of it, even stuff that's adjacent to the Bucks, it's annoying to be told that you don't understand wrestling anymore just because you don't buy into their very specific social media style of performing. It's never "We're not for everyone but we appreciate every fan we have" it's "we're the future of wrestling and if you don't like us you're not a wrestling fan". It's troll behavior and trolls get hated on

• Like 7

One thing I like about the Bucks new character is the good cop/bad cop thing they’re doing with Nick/Matt (I’m a Matthew who prefers going by Matt, so suck it!). Nick is the “hothead” bad cop who jumps straight to punishment while Matt is the “calmer” good cop that’s still a dick but tries to project being nicer. 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I could tell you the same criticisms people have been saying about them their whole AEW run (repetitive and boring matches with no psychology, no charisma, poor aesthetics, etc) but the response from the Bucks and their fans alike is always that our opinion isn't valid because we just don't "get it". And when you've been watching wrestling for decades and like a lot of it, even stuff that's adjacent to the Bucks, it's annoying to be told that you don't understand wrestling anymore just because you don't buy into their very specific social media style of performing. It's never "We're not for everyone but we appreciate every fan we have" it's "we're the future of wrestling and if you don't like us you're not a wrestling fan". It's troll behavior and trolls get hated on

The last part feels personal. It goes with my assumption that some detractor's personal feelings lead to the thinking: 'repetitive and boring matches with no psychology, no charisma, poor aesthetics, etc.' I don't know, nor do I assume to know, the Jacksons. There isn't a performer on the AEW roster that I think I really know. I rarely consider what ppl tweet when evaluating the performances. I do get how that could get under somebody's skin. Thanks for sharing.

I think the Bucks are doing a decent job with the gimmick, but I really hope Sting and Darby send them packing in a couple weeks because the heel authority figure trope is one I've been glad to not see in AEW.

Also, I must know if either Saraya or Harley is a 90s Simpsons nerd or, if not, what their reaction was when that promo was pitched.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I think the Bucks are doing a decent job with the gimmick, but I really hope Sting and Darby send them packing in a couple weeks because the heel authority figure trope is one I've been glad to not see in AEW.

I'm with you on 'Team No Heel Authority Figure', but the Jacksons gimmick doesn't quite feel a part of that trope for me. Not yet at least. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the endgame is they actually have no power of authority. 

• Like 3

That would rule, actually. "Uh, you actually can't fine anyone." Then everyone they've fined or otherwise wrong comes out and kicks the shit out of them. I'd watch that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The last part feels personal. It goes with my assumption that some detractor's personal feelings lead to the thinking: 'repetitive and boring matches with no psychology, no charisma, poor aesthetics, etc.' I don't know, nor do I assume to know, the Jacksons. There isn't a performer on the AEW roster that I think I really know. I rarely consider what ppl tweet when evaluating the performances. I do get how that could get under somebody's skin. Thanks for sharing.

See? 'It must be personal for you' is exactly the response I was talking about. Thanks for proving my point

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm with you on 'Team No Heel Authority Figure', but the Jacksons gimmick doesn't quite feel a part of that trope for me. Not yet at least. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the endgame is they actually have no power of authority. 

Maybe, but the stuff on Wednesday didn't feel like that. You had Darby talking about their hiring power, them bullying an announcer, and another announcer kissing their asses to gain favor. The last two could be subverted I guess, but it's right out of the attitude era playbook.

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

See? 'It must be personal for you' is exactly the response I was talking about. Thanks for proving my point

I may be misunderstanding your last comment here. Bestowing upon them a fictional philosophy and saying they’re trolls as a reason to hate on them sounded personal. Maybe there’s more to that? 

23 hours ago, Godfrey said: