DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

8 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

My friend’s son has that exact hairstyle and it’s almost the same color. We always call him Hook, which his mother hates with a passion. 

This one got me. Just picturing you manning the grill, seeing your friend and his family showing up at the BBQ, and in stride, mid burger flip, just instinctively dropping a THATS HOOK RIGHT THERE in the king’s Red Hookian. And ol dude’s wife giving you “the look” after, every single time.

• Haha 1

St. Mark's had Itsuki Yamzaki's Restaurant Go for 20 years. Why don't any of you bring that up? 

Continental would sucker me in for 5 shots for $10 at the start of a day/night out. The owner of the yakitori shop(s?) there went to high school in Osaka with an old friend of mine.

• Like 2

Joe/Hook brought me back to 2005 TNA when he was killing X-Division guys to build up to his matches with AJ and Daniels. Really effective TV main where the challenger looks like a tough bastard with a bright future while not being seriously competitive with the champ.

It really sucks that Juice is hurt, because BCG really misses him. Jay's the star, no doubt, but Juice as the transition guy between the credible star and the stooges is what made the group work. Without him, it just looks like Jay is being used to pump up the cred for Billy's fail-sons as a favor to the promoter, especially as babyfaces. I'll accept this temporarily if the trios belts merge, though.

They probably should've had Private Party do a few weeks of warm-up matches before hyping a big spotfest with Top Flight. Marq Quen looked out of shape and rusty as hell.

I'm hoping we'll get an extensive series of Deonna/Serena matches down the road.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

This one got me. Just picturing you manning the grill, seeing your friend and his family showing up at the BBQ, and in stride, mid burger flip, just instinctively dropping a THATS HOOK RIGHT THERE in the king’s Red Hookian. And ol dude’s wife giving you “the look” after, every single time.

That's actually not too far off. A couple of weeks ago I went over to their place for the Michigan/Washington football game. The kid came up and said hello and I gave him a high five and said "How's it going, Hook?" and her eyes rolled so hard that it sounded like she was bowling.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

That's actually not too far off. A couple of weeks ago I went over to their place for the Michigan/Washington football game. The kid came up and said hello and I gave him a high five and said "How's it going, Hook?" and her eyes rolled so hard that it sounded like she was bowling.

Do you ever wonder if you're the asshole?  Like, not everyone knows the joke....

A lot of really good stuff here!

Dustin vs Christian Cage was fantastic.

Swerve and Hangman made points. Neither wanted anything to do with one another anymore, but both want the AEW World Title, so there is a dilemma.

OC & Barretta tag was exciting, but mostly inconsequential.

Six man tag Title match ended up being really good, too, but I was afraid Mogul Embassy was going to drop them here. I guess Jay White needed a title around his waist for real?

Anna coming into her match with a taped shoulder was not a good idea against The Virtuosa. Might as well write "please tear here" on it while you are at it!

Storm confusing Ian with Tony was awesome, but she should have said something like "You look 5 years younger clean shaven, Tony ", considering Ian and Tony have probably 15-20 year age difference (I assume).

Private Party surprisingly (not at all, really) playing the part of Edge and Christian to Top Flight's Hardyz was good. We need this to be a long term program. It got a while to get going, but ended up really good! Marc looking a bit rusty early on played well into the ending, where he also could have slipped and grabbed the rope to balance himself, but decided to hold on for the extra leverage.

Main event was exactly what it should have been. HOOK looked strong and determined throughout and did not tap out.

Collision and Battle of the Belts also had their moments. The main event trios match on Collision went the way it should have, but FTR and Garcia did get their revenge in the end.

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I assumed the same pretty much up until Cody left just based off of the interaction with Sting when he debuted - that had to have been leading to something.

or knowing Cody... nothing

• Haha 5

I thought the matches on the show were largely good but a few things to moan about:

- Roddy as a heat machine is fun, calling his shot for a PPV 3 months away feels like a long way out though. That's a lot of time to fill between now and then

- Adam Cole and Wardlow standing next to each other reminded me of Chester and Spike

- Personally I hated the Bucks promo. Everything about it felt hokey and put on.

- I'm into Joe as champ but could not care less about a three-way for the belt. If they could add in fourth guy, it'd be a bit more palatable, but I'm over Swerve vs Hangman and triple threats are a boring trope

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Hook looks like every dipshit high school athlete I saw at LA Fitness when I had membership.

Every high school boy at my current gym has hair more in line with Nick Wayne (The Broccoli Cut) than Hook.  Always 3-4 to a bench, wearing Crocs.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I always assumed it's to cut down on glare on the monitors from the ring lights. I don't think when the commentary table is near the entrance they have the shield up.

Maybe it's there so guys can do a quick, shocking table spot like we saw with Joe and Hook.  As opposed to the EVIL HEEL carefully removing the monitors first, which always looks dumb.  "Yes, I want to slam you on this table and injure you, but those monitors have sharp edges!  I am an asshole but not a fucking asshole."

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

or knowing Cody... nothing

It was probably a Death of Superman reference or something.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Every high school boy at my current gym has hair more in line with Nick Wayne (The Broccoli Cut) than Hook.  Always 3-4 to a bench, wearing Crocs.

Oh shit yeah, the tube socks with Crocs (and, for many, the pieces of flair pinned to the Crocs) in public settings is definitely this generation’s Umbro shorts, tube socks and Adidas slippers 

If Tony knows what he’s doing he’ll get Hook and Nick Wayne in Tiger Beat

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh shit yeah, the tube socks with Crocs (and, for many, the pieces of flair pinned to the Crocs) in public settings is definitely this generation’s Umbro shorts, tube socks and Adidas slippers 

If Tony knows what he’s doing he’ll get Hook and Nick Wayne in Tiger Beat

I'm laughing at the idea of a Dave report where he has to be like "The numbers for women aged 12-24 inexplicably went up 300% this week"

• Haha 2

Kingston/Ortiz vs Danielson/Claudio announced for Collision.

Not sure how this squares with Ortiz turning on Kingston last year but whatever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Do you ever wonder if you're the asshole?  Like, not everyone knows the joke....

To answer your question, no. Me being the asshole is usually never in doubt.

However, the "we" in my original anecdote refers to me and my friend, the kid's father. So it's not like I'm just randomly calling his son "Hook" and nobody else knows why. She absolutely gets why we do it, she's just not amused by it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Kingston/Ortiz vs Danielson/Claudio announced for Collision.

Not sure how this squares with Ortiz turning on Kingston last year but whatever.

This kind of solidifies the feeling I had on watching the Dark Order tag the other Friday: just retcon the whole friggin' year.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What in the fuck is with kids/teens/high schoolers wearing Crocs? How is this utter garbage popular again?!

• Haha 2

Regarding the desk, if they’re going to do desk spots, they need to go the WWE route and find a manufacturer that basically creates the desk out of laser cut sections that snap together and can be sturdy enough to stand on, but will also give and fall apart when someone is slammed on it.

What they had on Wednesday was clearly like a weird half ass attempt at building the bones for the desk out of 2x4s and likely just used CA glue (basically super glue) to hold the joints together, but not as securely as wood glue or fasteners like nails or screws. The problem being is that even if that shit is framed with 2x4s held together with super glue, you’re taking a bump onto something really, really sturdy. 

25 minutes ago, zendragon said:

the zoomer perm?

I think that Wolf cut looks more like a perm, even though it ain't. It also makes me think of Benicio del Toro in The Wolf Man but his hair doesn't really look like that in it from the pics I exhumed. (Speaking of which, I'm surprised a cut like Oliver Reed's in Curse of the Werewolf hasn't come back into favor... then again, short-with-bangs probably falls under the last category anyway)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What in the fuck is with kids/teens/high schoolers wearing Crocs? How is this utter garbage popular again?!

I saw a young guy at my gym running on the treadmill in Crocs.  Like WTF, I know people say they're comfortable but I can't see any way they'd be functional enough as running shoes.  Jesus. 

58 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I saw a young guy at my gym running on the treadmill in Crocs.  Like WTF, I know people say they're comfortable but I can't see any way they'd be functional enough as running shoes.  Jesus. 

They’re not comfortable. Also, they cause the soles of your feet to dry out and peel.

I just see so many boys mostly when I go to pick up my daughter from school, middle school, and they’re all wearing Crocs. And pajamas. I went to the same middle school. We were NEVER allowed to just wear pajama pants. We’d have to call out folks and they’d have to come and bring us a change of pants.

I used to joke about Jnco jeans making a comeback, but now I’d prefer that over whatever the fuck kids are wearing now.

It’s not me who’s wrong, it’s the children.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3