DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVII - 1/27/2024

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Starting to see it be reported multiple places that Punk stuffered a significant injury (thought to be a torn triceps) but not confirmed yet. And that he will address his injury tonight in Raw.

Not happy to be right but was pretty apprent while watching.

Gonna limit my internet use for the next couple days so I don’t see people taking victory laps and posting shitty Moxley promos. 

• Like 1

FFS, if Punk is seriously injured, AGAIN, then that fucking sucks and seems like it may be message to him that he’s done. I’m not going to lie, I liked what he was doing in WWE and WWE seems like a better home for him than AEW. 

As someone pointed out... If during his last injury, Punk finally changed his mind about taking steroids....  well, that would go a *LONG* way towards explaining his behavior at the end of his AEW run, and this new injury as well. 

Obviously, wild speculation and all, but... 

I just can’t see him ever taking steroids. TRT? Sure? Maybe? It would maybe explain how much bigger he was. At the same time, dude wasn’t that much bigger, but he definitely wasn’t as skinny as he was in AEW. Could be as simple as he bulked up way too much too soon for his frame and it made him more prone to tearing a muscle. Who knows. Or time has really caught up to him, Occam’s razor and all.

Another wrinkle to this is that Drew may have just cashed himself a huge paycheck on a contract extension if he really hasn’t re-signed yet. Gunther can’t work EC, Drew is the next logical choice. Or I guess you could have Gunther find a way into the match with Seth and Drew, but I think it would be better for Gunther to drop the IC title at WM.

Not a Punk fan, but I kind of feel sorry for him that he gets injured just as he finally was getting the WM main event spot he always wanted.

On the brighter side maybe it means Rhea/Becky gets that spot for Night 1.

AJ is the same age and definitely on something, he broke his ankle in 2022 and was gone again last year which had no official reason given but one would think it was to heal up. If guys this age want to work this style I think it's just a matter of time

Punk has much worse timing when he gets injured though, the past 3 have all been at pivotal times for the company he's been in and I wonder if anyone can reasonably put him in that position again

I don’t at all say this to demean him in any way, but at some point I believe reality has to set in that Punk’s body just isn’t built to be a pro wrestler, not anymore at least. “Skinny fat” jokes aside, I think it’s pretty clear that there’s a physiological thing where his muscles just can’t do the thing his mind is asking them to do. And that sucks. Aging sucks.

It reminds me Stephen Strasburg, who while taller had a similar build and had to work really hard to stay thin and muscular. Eventually his body just caved.

Edited by For Great Justice

I’d honestly consider delaying the surgery, doing little but cardio until WM, taping/bracing the arm, work the match and put over Rollins, and retire the next night.

it's been a long while since we've had a wrestling show change commentators for the first and second hour, right? unless i'm forgetting something obvious, that hasn't been a thing since like 1999...

guess it's easier to rotate commentators mid-show if they're not at ringside

If CM Punk won the Royal Rumble match, he'd have been the first to miss out on main eventing WrestleMania through injury. It's one of the few things he hasn't done in wrestling. Fortuitous Cody Rhodes got the nod to become the first back to back Royal Rumble winner since Steve Austin in 1997-1998. That's three major surgeries in a row for CM Punk: broken foot and two triceps. Awful timing especially this one with what I've said. Get well soon.

Very happy Bayley won the Women's Royal Rumble match, she's been a long time favourite of mine from NXT to main roster, surviving some bad booking and especially carrying the Pandemic Era with the Golden Role Models with Sasha Banks holding the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship, WWE RAW Women's Championship and WWE Women's Tag Team Championship. Bayley's been underutilized since her ACL return at SummerSlam 2022. Bayley sets the record for longest time at 1:03:03. Amazing. Feel for Liv Morgan as the runner up two years running.

I didn't watch the show.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

What I like about the Royal Rumble match is the start of the Road to WrestleMania, the surprises and the records especially the Iron Man/Iron Woman. Here's the twelve longest taken from Wikipedia:

#1: Daniel Bryan, 01:16:05, 2018 (GRR).

#2: Gunther, 1:11:40, 2023.

#3: Bayley, 1:03:03, 2024.

#4: Rey Mysterio, 1:02:15, 2006.

#5: Naomi, 1:02:10, 2024.

#6: Chris Benoit, 1:01:35, 2004.

#7: Bob Backlund, 1:01:10, 1993.

#8: Rhea Ripley, 1:01:08, 2023.

#9: Liv Morgan, 1:01:07, 2023.

#10: Triple H, 1:00:16, 2006.

#11: Chris Jericho, 1:00:13, 2017.

#12: Ric Flair, 1:00:02, 1992.

Italics indicates the winner of that year's match.

On 1/29/2024 at 8:19 PM, odessasteps said:

Just use one on Raw and one on SD. Some people might think it's the same person 

I used to announce their matches against each other, but Punk didn't have as many tats back then. Graves (Sterling James Keenan) even got a victory!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got to sit down and watch the entire Rumble PLE. It was a reminder that this presentation just isn't my jam. As chaotic, frenzied, and at times disjointed as AEW can be, it feels like a wrestling show. It's dudes with distinct looks and styles showcasing their wares. This shit feels like fitness models & Bronson Reed pretending to fight. I think the biggest downside to running everyone through the PC is that they invariably come out doing almost everything the same. There are some standouts in both Rumble matches, like Tiffany Stratton. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone scream "STAR" without doing a thing like she does. She looks like and has the athletic ability of a franchise player. She's fantastic. Bobby Lashley continues to defy the laws of time. Why is this man not champion of everything? He's the shit. I don't watch nXt, but Carmelo Hayes looks like he could be a dude for them. His look jumps off the screen. I'm a big Santos Escobar fan from his time in LU. I don't understand why he doesn't have a more prominent role on tv for them. He's a handsome athletic latino with great charisma, and I love the pairing with Angel Garza and Berto. There just aren't many people on the roster right now who do anything for me. It also feels like most of HHH's nXt re-hirings are DOA. No one gives a shit about Candice LeRae, Tegan Nox, Karrion Kross, and a handful of others. Kross, in particular, just isn't working. That dude is like the movie Anaconda; on every level, that movie should've worked. It had a decent script, a good director, and a great cast. It still ended up sucking a fresh turd. Karrion Kross just isn't interesting. He's Bobby Fish in the body of Sid. At some point they should probably cut their losses. I hope they never break up Imperium. Like 60% of the WWE product I've watched in the last 4 years I've watched because someone was like "Hey, WALTER fucked somebody up on nXt UK." Ride that shit 'til the wheels fall off.

The women's Rumble was pretty fun. It is crazy to me how many stalwarts from the last 5 years weren't in it. Carmella, Tamina, Nikki Cross, Rhea Ripley, Alexa Bliss, Charlotte, Sasha, et. al. I know there are varying legitimate reasons for their absence. It just serves as a stark reminder of how quickly the women's roster can turn over. Maxine Dupri probably needs more time. Naomi coming back was cool. She has one of my favorite entrances in wrestling. I don't share some corner's of the internet's excitement about the potential of TNA and WWE working together, but Jordynne Grace seemed ecstatic to be there and the crowd was happy to see her. Our paths have crossed a few times at powerlifting meets in Georgia and she and Jon have always been super nice to me. I'm of the opinion that the creative really isn't any better under HHH than it was under Vince, but I do enjoy how much more "zip" this Rumble seems to have.

One of my biggest peeves currently in wrestling is this idea that Jade Cargill isn't "ready." Can she bump like Bayley? Fuck no. But asking Jade to bump more than twice a match is completely misunderstanding what you have with her. She doesn't need to work like everyone else because she isn't like everyone else. She looked like a Greek Goddess amongst the common folk while she was in the Rumble, and her manhandling (figuratively) Nia Jax was the only moment of the show that made me audibly react. What in the world do they think they need her to do that she can't do now? If she's gonna end up having weekly 8-10 minute matches like everyone else on the roster then Endeavor would've been better off lighting a match to the money they gave her. She can't be anywhere on the card but an attraction. Let Shayna Baszler and Zoey Stark have long matches to no reaction. Jade is there to draw eyes and do shit no one else can do.

Neither Rumble winner was surprising. I know the rumor was that Bayley just re-signed, but I still don't think WWE really appreciates her the way they should. Her ability to get a TV match out of anyone is truly remarkable. She's gotten worlds better on the mic and this heel persona has been fantastic. She's become the class of the Four Horsewomen by a wide margin. In a fair and just world she gets the long title run in front of an audience that she's deserved for a while. Cody should "finish his story," but I'm still skeptical, mostly because I still think deep down that corporate image means more to WWE than any other deciding factor, and the Rock and Roman Reigns are both bigger stars outside WWE than Cody, and anyone who thinks that doesn't matter are kidding themselves. It wouldn't shock me if Roman and Rock were the story coming out of Mania, and it would shock me even less if we were to find out later that the decision got taken out of HHH's hands. 

• Like 3

It defies logic. A guy that size with that look being that horrible. He’s funny & gregarious in his interviews away from wwe. It just doesn’t translate. O