DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

A 5 star TV match in the 90s is a bit of an oxymoron. That and that tag division before the decline with Faces of Fear, the Steiners, Harlem Heat and occasionally the Nasty Boys and Benoit/Mongo had a robin round of fun matches on TV/PPV for a handful of months. I mean the Public Enemy stuck out like a sore thumb, but I guess they can say they were there too. However, Barb was usually great as the power man on a team that included Meng. He's not suppose to be Mr. Catch as Catch can anyway.

He also had a superb squash against Super Calo on WCW Saturday Night. You cannot have a more random CPU generated match than that.

Always had a soft spot for this FoF vs Sting & Luger match. Flair was hilarious on commentary too lol

Edit: link isn't working. It's from the 5/20/96 Nitro 

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Always had a soft spot for this FoF vs Sting & Luger match. Flair was hilarious on commentary too lol

I can't see the link either but I'm 99% certain I remember this match for some insane verbal Luger selling in the corner at one point, even by his standards - GAH AH GOD OUGHHH

• Like 2

I know Lex has his own podcast now. However, someone needs to sell him on having a Lex Luger soundboard segment of his verbal grunts throughout his career and then have him guess the match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can't see the link either but I'm 99% certain I remember this match for some insane verbal Luger selling in the corner at one point, even by his standards - GAH AH GOD OUGHHH

I tried to post the Dailymotion link...and for some reason it didn't embed or show the link.

My highlight of the match? Barbarian LAUNCHED Stinger with a top rope belly to belly, and Flair quips,"there goes the franchise!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Has this ever been posted? I had no idea! And this is edited. Is the full match anywhere? This was Barbarian’s best work since like 1988 lol! And it was Tracey’s best since whatever last match he had because all his matches were good. 

Scott Hudson was an under rated announcer, too bad TNA didn’t pick him up. Him being the lead in a three man booth with Tenay and west could have worked 

• Like 4

in the spirit of the "AI booked wrestling promotion" joke in the Vince thread, i'm guessing if there was a wrestler with 6 fingers ala AI Hands, that 6 fingered wrestler could use a clawhold with the wrestling logic that "he has an extra finger, making his clawhold extra effective" (even if most people with extra fingers just have like a nub for the extra digit)

"He had an extra toe which makes his kicks more powerful" isn't any more absurd than the whole "loaded boot that can be kicked into place" thing, is it?

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Scott Hudson was an under rated announcer, too bad TNA didn’t pick him up. Him being the lead in a three man booth with Tenay and west could have worked 

I'll second this, I always really, really enjoyed Hudson in the booth (particularly on the weekend shows) and in many ways, I think he suffered from being put in a series of impossible situations from '99-'01:

1) having to follow Schiavone - obviously there's plenty to be critical of Tony about when it comes to late era WCW, but he was (and is again!) the guy we all grew up with. So with that, Hudson started on Nitro behind the 8 ball to a degree from just a "who's the new guy?" perspective alone

2) Being put in a similar position as the aforementioned Schiavone in having to sell a lot of awful bullshit with a straight face. This was also made 1000x worse by his having to sit next to dickhead Mark Madden doing his "How do you do, fellow kids?" routine, making Jay & Silent Bob references in a fucking Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses.

3) His WWF 'Invasion'-era tryout with Arn on color was the Buff/Booker match from Tacoma in July, and we all know what happened there. Shit match, apathetic crowd, and while Arn's obviously an all-time promo, color wasn't his strong suit; he just really didn't give Hudson a lot to work with at all, so Hudson defaulted to a 'play by play' mode which, while I obviously think it's rad, its also historically the polar opposite of what WWF/E has wanted out of its lead announcers ('We tell stories!') So I think that was that.

FWIW I saw an interview with him years and years ago and he said he's pretty happy and making good money doing some kind of forensic crime lab shit (Possibly for the FBI? I may be misremembering that last detail).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
words
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, Hudson was a lot like Riccaboni, where the shoot job commitments eventually outweigh the wrestling gigs, at least as a full time thing.

Yeah, totally understandable and I don't fault either guy for it. Like Riccaboni, its just a bummer cause I like hearing them call shows on a 'selfish' level-  but I completely get it.

• Like 1

Scott Hudson being great has been discussed many times IIRC. 

Lex Luger, whose greatness has also been discussed, missed the boat on 1 thing though. He could have had an Iron Shiek or Terry Funk sized postprime career if he would have had brains enough to capitalize on his gaffes. “I DON’T KNOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!” was right up there with “make you humble” and others.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Lex Luger, whose greatness has also been discussed, missed the boat on 1 thing though. He could have had an Iron Shiek or Terry Funk sized postprime career if he would have had brains enough to capitalize on his gaffes. “I DON’T KNOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!” was right up there with “make you humble” and others.

AND YOUR SHIRTS ARE TOO TIGHT, BILLY!!!!’

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lee Marshall was also good which we’ve also discussed, complete with why he was so unfairly hated. He hosted the dumbest segment in the history of professional wrestling. And I mean that like I mean it not like Tony Schiavone means it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Luger could have made an “allocates” t shirt 

Speaking of great look but not exactly the best worker: I was watching an old episode of Memphis wrestling from 1985 with someone you wouldn't recognize if you had 25 guesses, "The Blonde Bomber" Kevin Kelly later known infamously as Nailz. For some reason, he looks like a dollar store Sterling Golden and that's amazing cause we once had Dizzy Hogan. Anyway, I seen him pre WWF before in Mid South as Thor. Both times, I thought he's not really all that bad. Matter of fact, he's green as hell but has potential. My question obviously is what happened between the mid 80s when he started wrestling and 1992 where he started sucking so badly and looked like he may have had six matches under his belt when he got to WWF? Was it injuries? Did he just regress cause he didn't take wrestling seriously? 

7 hours ago, zendragon said:

He was in TNA from 03-04. Mostly did backstage interviews but did fill in for Tenay on at least one of the weekly PPV era.  He made a one off return for Slammiversary in 2022. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I liked him as Mr Magnificent Kevin Kelly and Slick Nick Kiniski as a blonde tag team managed by Madusa in the AWA. 

I actually saw something regarding that tag team while researching before I made my post. Now I am even more curious since it's the second time I've seen that mentioned.

Boy calls me down to the basement. “Dad! Come see this!”

Proceeds to unload some damn-near-perfect Kobashi/Kingston machine gun chops on the heavy bag. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

20 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don’t know how much I saw of him calling Nitro but fond memories of WCWSN with Lee Marshall ( the gamblers been on the canvas more than Picasso!) and what ever syndicated shows he popped up on

When he died it led to this memorable blue card joke from Norm:

" The voice of Tony The Tiger died this past week. Reports say his last words were "Guys, I don't feel so GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT".

• Haha 5