DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/6 - 12/12/2023 - Always Bet On Black

Dolfan in NYC

I finally learned to like Emi after she lost the Freddie cosplay. Riho might look least like a wrestler than most anyone on the roster but she can work. Shida is my target of the three, and probably always will be. Never liked her work and pushed to the moon. 

Really, considering this, they could use some fresh joshi talent. That is, if there's room, when we can only squeeze in one whole women's match a card.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I finally learned to like Emi after she lost the Freddie cosplay. Riho might look least like a wrestler than most anyone on the roster but she can work. Shida is my target of the three, and probably always will be. Never liked her work and pushed to the moon. 

Really, considering this, they could use some fresh joshi talent. That is, if there's room, when we can only squeeze in one whole women's match a card.

With inexperienced workers being pushed into Title bouts and even winning some said title bouts, I'd say there's plenty of room for more Talent. Tho, TK's loyalty to his talent certainly doesn't help this Division's output. Shida's a good example. Hikaroo's a good hand, but nowhere near Over nor capable of carrying or leading a Division. She's also one of most inconsistent performers on the roster. Sometimes good, sometimes not. Emi did seem hindered by comedy earlier on, save for that excellent Riho match from, I think, an early PPV or Dynamite. The last couple years Emi's been so steadily terrific. I find Riho a lot of fun, and an incredibly smart worker. Her ability to ignite quiet crowds down the stretch of her matches is total overlooked by the detractors. I'm not suggesting they're the same workers, nor that she has all of his great traits, but her underdog act works similarily for me like pre-juice (not Juvi) Mysterio. Looking forward to the Toni Storm bout, but not so convinced Toni's best potential opponents are on the babyface side. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Riho's matches with Nyla, and the occasional contribution to a trios match, but yeah, doesn't really do a lot for me. 

I wonder how much that street fight between Tay/Jay and Ruby/Willow where most of them got legit hurt shook confidence in the division. That was the last real high profile match in the division as far as I can recall. Everything else has been largely.....2005 WWE womens division level promotion since.

• Like 3

I was more down on this episode of Dynamite than most I guess.

The CC has just been good matches for the sake of good matches, but no real surprises other than Eddie being 0 for 2. The longer time limits have just made every match a decent TV main with no chance of a draw or upset. Jay White's heel/heel work has been nice, but I don't see what this accomplishing other than stat-padding for the higher-ranked guys. Mox/Rush as a double count out early would've made perfect sense and given the actual tournament and post-tournament more intrigue (an excuse for BCC and LFI to mix it up). The format has potential, but "everybody go out and have the best 18-minute match you can while keeping the rankings in tact" is already wearing thin with me and we're not even halfway through.

Why was MJF going heel on Hanger? Makes no sense for a guy trying to turn over a new leaf to just step in and shit all over a guy who's down on his luck. I know the answer was to set up the red herring with the beer bottle, but that was some lazy writing.

Cope/Christian was a good match until the finish. The thing with family member heel turns is that the family member actually has to have some charisma and acting ability, which Shayna Wayne does not. Her son doesn't really either, but at least he's smooth in the ring beyond his years. Christian is a miracle worker, but making this dark version of The Way into something watchable would be his biggest feat yet.

Well this was as good an episode of Dynamite as I can remember in quite a while, I enjoyed everything except for fuck face McGhee yelling about the devil.

I'd like to see MOX and ROOOSH in a Mexican Death Match where Pepe Aguilar plays like Natural Born Killas in ECW. Speaking of those two imagine a block of Bob Holly, Greg Valentine, Mox, El Toro Blanco and GUNTHER! Now that would be hard hitting action!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Casey said:

….HUH? Hikaru Shida is one of the most over women on the roster, what in the world?

I guess technically considering how few are actually ‘over’ you’re not entirely wrong, Judging by the lack of interest in her matches prior or during, all while being pushed as a ‘champion’ I don’t rank her as ‘over’. Sparse occasional ‘holy Shida’ chants seem more based on the amusement of the chant than what she’s doing in ring. I maintain, she’s a good hand (not unlike Tony Nese or Alex Reynolds) but nowhere near the level of a Champion/leader.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

With inexperienced workers being pushed into Title bouts and even winning some said title bouts, I'd say there's plenty of room for more Talent. Tho, TK's loyalty to his talent certainly doesn't help this Division's output. Shida's a good example. Hikaroo's a good hand, but nowhere near Over nor capable of carrying or leading a Division. She's also one of most inconsistent performers on the roster. Sometimes good, sometimes not. Emi did seem hindered by comedy earlier on, save for that excellent Riho match from, I think, an early PPV or Dynamite. The last couple years Emi's been so steadily terrific. I find Riho a lot of fun, and an incredibly smart worker. Her ability to ignite quiet crowds down the stretch of her matches is total overlooked by the detractors. I'm not suggesting they're the same workers, nor that she has all of his great traits, but her underdog act works similarily for me like pre-juice (not Juvi) Mysterio. Looking forward to the Toni Storm bout, but not so convinced Toni's best potential opponents are on the babyface side. 

We are WORLDS apart on Shida (big fan of hers) but I popped you a like because I was just about to make the same Rey Jr comparison with Riho in terms of the underdog intangibles, you're right on the money there IMO

Quick edit: @GuerrillaMonsoonmakes an excellent point too about Riho's matches with Nyla: it's such a great visual when she's in there with a much bigger woman like her, or Stat or someone. It's almost one of those things where, you could show that to someone who's never seen wrestling in their lives, and just purely visually they could grasp the David v Goliath story

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's a big reason why I rate Riho is her matches with Nyla. It's a convincing albeit simple story that they both pull off well. (Speaking of Nyla... where is she and why isn't she fighting for a title right now?)

Both very, very good questions. Was that you and I that had the conversation about she and Marina going on excursion to TNA to fight for the tag belts? ('Land of the big wimmens!') I still think that's a really good idea.

• Like 1

Mox v Rush was a tremendous opener. Wild seeing Roosh take Moxley to the limit. It felt like things could get legitimately out of hand which is always welcomed. Interesting finish. Just curious, where are all the Seller Critics? I guess that criticism is detained for high flyers only? Jay White promo was good. Roderick Strong promo was Roddy’s standard excellence. Love seeing Roddy get this ‘ADAM!’ shit Over. I’ll patiently await what's next, but not quite on board with the decision to remove Roddy’s wheelchair. His current entrance out of the chair and up the stairs is far too awesome to eliminate. Hangman/MJacobF promo was fucking awesome. Page continues to rebuild his top guy act here in late 2023. Briscoe v Swerve was excellent. The Montreal crowd felt a bit like something out of the WWE universe without a clear cut heel/face, but they came around. Mariah May promo was good. Really looking forward to her debut. MJF/Joe v Mask’er’aders was a disappointing segment. I’m struggling to find much enthusiasm over the Devil reveal. Moxley/Swerve promo was also excellent. Toni v Skye was solid. Very into the TCM intro. I love seeing Riho, but I’m not in favour of Toni v babyfaces. Jay Lethal v Jay White was terrific. Wake up Montreal. Christian Cage v Adam Copeland was fine, fine pro wrestling. Shayna Wayne turn was goofy, but no complaints on the plot point. As most, I expected a gimmick rematch so had no qualms with the plot points - namely the Shayna Wayne turn. AEW rolls along providing fun television week in/week out for anybody more interested in a quality product than scrutinizing the output numbers of a challenger brand facing the family friendly Walt Disney of pro wrestling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Just curious, where are all the Seller Critics?

Well, Rush never sells for shit. It comes with the territory, so hard to complain. 

EDIT: Zakk, I remember that conversation but don't recall it was with me or not. Probably so, and I agree. The main issue is they job her out as bad as Butcher and Blade (were) or Archer. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, Rush never sells for shit. It comes with the territory, so hard to complain. 

EDIT: Zakk, I remember that conversation but don't recall it was with me or not. Probably so, and I agree. The main issue is they job her out as bad as Butcher and Blade (were) or Archer. 

Agree, she's been a bit weakened as a monstre(ss)-type very similarly to them, particularly Archer - though at least I bet you Archer will get his once every nine months Kane first-monster-challenger push if/when Joe beats MJF in LI

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Roster is so big that some people just never seem to get wins, especially with the elimination of dark. I kinda feel that rampage could be used to let people like Nyla get a bit of credibility 

• Like 1

Wow did this one open on a smoker and close on one too. Angelico/Orange was a beautiful match. Facially I wish Angelico was more expressive but his moveset was a perfect match itself for Orange's style. They strung together a lot of intricate stuff with some great leg selling from Cassidy and elaborate, painful looking holds from Angelico. I probably haven't thought about this since Lucha Underground but Angelico reminds me of Vega from Street Fighter. Too bad Andrade already comes out in a mask that he takes off. Abadon looked good picking up another win (they say she's 19 out of 20 but you'd never know) though man do they scream a lot. Julia's heels are gonzo. I... didn't watch the tag match. Sorry guys. Nothing against it even though the oldsters were out, I just wasn't paying attention. But! Danny Garcia vs. Dick Danielson was such a treat. This version of Dragon is the best, always with that smug, cockeyed grin (the first time I ever saw a picture of the man he looked like that was in an ROH ad, only clean shaven, looking like the world's biggest -- or smallest -- high school jock asshole) and always with the open arms. Garcia looked like this was the match he'd been waiting his whole life for and he wrestled like it too. Fantastic selling and total stiffness from both guys, no light at all. Incredibly smart counter-wrestling. Reversals in fortune abounded. I was reminded why I wanted Garcia in the BCC so bad when it jumped off. Beyond anything else you wanted Danny to win so, so bad... and that prick with the eyepatch stole it away, again. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

will Christian and whatsherface be having a live sex celebration?

"I'm already a father, but I'm gonna be a father again!"

EDIT: Forgot to mention above but I swear that Daddy Magic got away with saying "I'm so fuckin' proud of you" about Garcia on commentary. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 2

That was pretty close to my Platonic ideal of an hour of AEW television. Thanks for throwing me a bone, AEW! It's been a while since I felt like you booked a show specifically for me and nerds like me.

A Dragon main event is an ideal main event. A stiff nasty intense Dragon fight against a guy who can really go is a level above ideal. That was gorgeous. Exceeded my ridiculously high expectations.

And we also got an Abadon match! And they were fighting someone with an indie/Japan background!

One tiny niggle: usually I am pretty good at seeing the threads that connect two wrestlers. For example, Mercedes Martinez vs Willow Nightingale is Car vs Tree, which makes sense since sometimes cars hit trees. But Spooky Witch vs Undead Zombie? I am struggling to find any connection there.

A speed/agility vs size/power match! Plus, toss in a Japanese guy! Right up my alley.

And, yeah, I'm with Curt. That opening match was tremendously enjoyable. Is it possible Cassidy has grown into being the third-best seller among AEW's male wrestlers? Dragon and Mad King are in class of their own right now. Morton/Kikuchi/Yamazaki/Xavier Woods tier. But Orange was tremendous today. 

I LOVE how they are showing the attrition of the competitors in the C2. I think Orange paved the path there, in AEW, selling the cumulative damage of his many title defences. 

LOVED Daddy and Rick a Boney on commentary today!

Was overjoyed that it was pretty much all wrestling and ZERO overwrought Sports Entertainment on today's show. 

And tonight, it's the annual year-end all-you-can-drink plus Chinese food party in Deep Osaka Namba with Cooger and about 40 of our friends! So, a pretty good day of wrestling for ole Gordlow here. An early Christmas present, if you weel.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 10

I went out to the pretty-dingy-but-really-good Chinese buffet in town today for my birthday lunch, so I'm there with ya Gordi 😁 "Ol Dirty has changed his name, from Dirt McGirt, to, the Old Dirty Chinese Restaurant" haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, that episode of Rampage is exactly why I watch pro wrestling.  Orange Cassidy vs. Angelico with Daddy Magic on commentary (in Montreal!) and Serpentico with a leather vest that says "Snake Man" on the back was almost too much awesomeness for me to handle.  Not to mention a fucking great match to boot.  

Orange and Bryan were by far the biggest stars on the show, but Angelico and Daniel Garcia were bigger stars coming out of it.  That's how you do it, folks.  

The smile of glee on Danielson's face after that match tells me clearly that Garcia is something special.  

• Like 2

Orange putting his hands in his pockets to make it easier for him to roll to the ropes and get a ref break out of Angelico's submission hold may have been the slickest spot I have seen all week.

Kinda bummed that Trish Adora jobbed.  I want to be excited about Julia Hart vs. Abadon for the TBS title but something inside says I should have cautious optimism.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Octopus said:

Damn it, I thought Garcia vs Danielson was gonna be on Collision

I can screen share it on the Discord (or the other Discord) before Collision if you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1