DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 11/27 - 12/3/2023 - Now With More CM Punk Than Ever!

Dolfan in NYC

This is what I saw of Raw, some live and some the next day:

Damn, Orton out first so Punk is closing

Tag team turmoil was great, WWE has a deep tag roster now. The Creed Brothers are so good and have at least a decade of prime career still. Can you imagine if Julius had hit that launch off Kaiser to the top rope? You know they've hit that in practice and it looks awesome. And god damn they compacted Giovanni Ribisi (?) at the end there. Ludwig Kaiser is leaning in with his mannerisms and I'm pretty sure he made his hair taller, excellent work

Watching a WWE show live means I once again have to make peace with WWE's invisible cameraman style, fortunately AEW prepped me

Every Japanese wrestler does mist now? Cody and Nakamura have a high chance of not meshing well. It's possible I just think that because I hate Cody's offense

Ivar/Reed was a war and war is messy, very messy. Started pretty cold but I thought they got the crowd into it the more chaotic it got and hopefully a rematch can heat both guys up. Another botched finish though, not their lucky night

Giovanni Vinci! I knew that. Hell yeah, run Miz/Gunther back. Miz has to prove himself to Imperium, I hope that's by turning it up in the ring but knowing WWE he'll probably just hit him with a car or something

Damn, Orton's having the time of his life. Sometimes I can almost see why all the old timers say he's one of the best wrestlers in the world. Almost. I missed which large bearded dude with face tattoos this was, I'm banking on TV chef or stand up comedian turned crypto guru

Punk promo was good, which is underwhelming for him in this context tbh. I read he got his time cut so Welcome Back to the WWE, Chick Magnet. It did feel a little restrained but he can get the crowd to boo him and then get an instant CM Punk chant when he calls for it and that takes some skill. When he was talking about how welcomed he was by everyone it felt directed at dirtsheet writers, maybe one in particular. At the end I think he was going for another chant but the crowd has been conditioned by that cadence to do it the LA Knight way

• Like 1

Punk is in WWE because he blew an easy $5M/year contract in AEW and is salty as fuck about how it all played out.  That doesn't mean everything he does will be some going through the motions bullshit but I can't say I have high hopes for any of it.  

Also, I have to laugh at these dumbass dirtsheet reports about how Punk was in a "good mood" backstage and getting along with everyone.  You think?  It was his first fucking night in the company.  He's an asshole but he's not so dumb that he's going to jeopardize his new deal on the first night back.  It takes time.  Give it a few months.  Hell, give it six months.  Then we can talk. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tony/Stacks vs. Los Lotharios was damn good. Loved the brawl to open the match, how Garza and Carrillo took control, and how Tony continues to use Stacks as weapon to throw at people.

Kelani/Kiana was solid though the finish was kind mediocre as an idea to give Roxanne some revenge. She should have stopped Kiana from her usual cheating. 

Bron/Thorpe was a wonderful slaughter of Thorpe. It spoke both the difference in levels and took Thorpe's injured ribs well into account. Thorpe got to show his passion and fire trying to hang in despite the odds being far too against him. Good match.

Ilja/Frazer was another slaughter like the above but way faster paced with Ilja so fired up and Frazer just being himself. Pretty fun match though it was more about Corbin clearly getting in Ilja's head than giving Frazer a nice showing (he still did well for himself). The post match made it even more clear with Corbin's promo.

Grace/Petrovic was decent and probably Karmen's best showing yet in NXT. Still was happy to see Arianna Grace come away with the win. She just feels further ahead as a complete package. The stuff with Gacy was just weird.

Lexis/Jensen was solid. Feels like King is slowly growing more and more accustomed to his current gimmick each week. He felt far more natural in his segment with the Briggs/Jensen/Fallon than he did his first few weeks. The finish with Hayes worked well.

Wes Lee vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Bronson Reed vs. Cameron Grimes was fucking awesome. Reed was beast and looked amazing the way he ran through the other three. I loved everyone having to team up to take him down every time. Ivar coming down to pull Reed back in their brawl from last night and out of the match was a necessity by the end. The finish with the remaining three was nice and well done. 

NXT had a pretty strong night match wise. The opener and main event were the best matches, but most everything is was worth watching as well. The segments weren't super standout, but they were generally decent and helped move things a bit further be that for Stand & Deliver or just NXT tv. Good show overall.

• Like 2

Garza and Carillo continue to look amazing and The Family has really grown a lot in the ring. Did love the spot at the end where Tony tells Stacks that he loves him and I'm like, "Wait is he turning on him?" and then he proceeds to throw him over the top rope as an offensive weapon. Not as crazy about basically wrapping this storyline up so quickly but that might just be being my Los Lotharios fandom talking. Do have to wonder if post-Deadline they do the Dusty Cup.

Roxanne costing Kiana the qualifying match was pretty predictable but I agree that her doing it by ringing the bell was kind of a weak way to go about it. Kelani looked good and I liked that they had Kiana cut off her usual spots like the 619 arm drag which forced her to find different ways to get into it.

Really think that, at least in terms of NXT, they have found something with Thorpe. Feel like you plug him into a quest for the NXT Championship in '24.

I'm digging the weird vibes of the Gacy promos, even if I have no clue where they're going. I felt a little bit less the stealing of the ring bell as that just seemed goofy and didn't seem to really vibe with the promos setting up. 

I liked the backstage segment setting up Frazer and Dragunov which was just brutal but allowed Frazer to at least get a couple spots in. I do feel that the commentary probably could have floated the idea that Dragunov was possibly snapping because of Corbin to further the storyline. Also in some timeline Frazer turns heel because of the fans basically calling for his destruction.

Tatum Paxley appearance during the Lyra/Fallon interview! What does it mean? Who knows!

Like the continue slow burn on Carmelo's eventual turning on Trick and tying it in with Lexis King's shit stirring. I think King was good in the backstage segment and I like that his offense has some unique stuff in it. Also his finisher looked so much cleaner tonight compared to his debut.

The main event was pretty awesome. Building it around with Bronson just destroying everyone and having Ivar be the only thing that could basically keep him from winning. Vic at least brought up if Dom would give the winner a North American shot if someone besides Wes Lee won.

Liked the show ending with Kiana and Roxanne brawling in the parking lot. Will be interesting to see whether we get some kind of stipulation match between the two at Deadline or if they save it for tv.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blitzkrieg said:

Do have to wonder if post-Deadline they do the Dusty Cup.

Cody confirmed the Men's Breakout tournament and Dusty Cup to be happening when he showed up on NXT a month or two back. Post Deadline seems obvious since they likely didn't want them overshadowing the Iron Survivor qualifiers.  I'm just wondering if they do them at the same time or not at this point.

• Like 1

I was not too terribly thrilled with Raw on Monday. To be honest, I only tuned in for the Punk stuff but decided to watch the whole show to see what I've been missing. His promo was fine, wasn't bad and wasn't good. I fast forwarded through all the Survivor Series recaps and everything. A few other thoughts ...

*Really enjoyed the Creed Brothers in NXT so it's nice to see them on the big show. They feel like a 90s Steiners type team where they can just bash people and throw them around.
*Hoss fight between Ivar and Bronson was fun. Would like to see them run it back with a falls count anywhere or no DQ stipulation.
*I can give or take Randy Orton. If he's going to be programmed with Judgment Day while Cody moves on to Shinsuke, then I'm good with that. Priest vs Orton feels like a match they could do to bump up Priest even more and give him a win over Orton.
*Cody vs. Shinsuke could be fun

I probably won't tune in next week even though Seth Rollins vs Jey Uso sounds interesting. Might just catch the highlights on YouTube or something.

I'm not opening a Rumble '24 thread for like a month, so in the mean time...

That's the poster.   Not sure what they did to Sami, but it looks like he and Braun have merged into one.

It really does lol like they merged Sami and Braun.  Sami Stroganoff? Bronze Zayn? Saun? Brami?  

Looking forward to the rumble though. It's always a favorite.  And i need tozowa to do his silly lil dance in the middle of a full ring and everyone to stop and tell him that's nasty before tossing him out, and kofi landing on him to stay in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kang said:

Sad news

McKenzie Mitchell has been released.

Brandon Thurston said they did corporate employee layoffs today

Not sure if McKenzie would fall under that or if we are gonna get some other talent related releases

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not sure what they did to Sami, but it looks like he and Braun have merged into one.

Cody’s not beating Roman at WM. Sami Zayn has combined with Braun Strowman like Krang and Krang’s body from Ninja Turtles. Super Sami beats Roman.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Cody’s not beating Roman at WM. Sami Zayn has combined with Braun Strowman like Krang and Krang’s body from Ninja Turtles. Super Sami beats Roman.

what did I tell you...

• Haha 1

As for CM Punk. Watching the Kevin Sullivan return to Florida where he tries to shrug off accusations that “he’s changed” with “I’ve made mistakes, the past is the past” makes me think that approach could work here

https://youtu.be/_e1BPPzuhvg

of course Sullivan would go from “I’m gonna be your friend” to turning hard heel quickly.